Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry folks i remember i asked this question before but i cant find my thread:

since replacing chain and sprockets 6000km ago there is a whining noise form the bike. im assuming its chain because of the following reasons:

• it only under throttle, goes away when engine braking or stationary
  • it gets much worse after i've lubed the chain, much worse
  • i ride with earplugs , and can hear the whining above the wind noise and engine noise when at speed
  • chain tension is fine.
is this the chain?
can it be resolved without replacing?
should i worry about it?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Is the chain hitting anything? You sure the chain isn't loose and isn't rubbing the swingarm or chainguard?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chain not touching the swing arm nor the chain guard where id see damage. its a whining that increases with speed. not a grinding or metal /plastic noise, unless it touches the inside of the chain guard over the front sprocket. id have to take it off to see. but i dont think its that.

thanks

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the sound you're hearing similar to that of straight-cut gears meshing?
dont know what you mean? are you saying warn sprockets? how would that sound? new sprockets and chain, and why then worse when its lubricated?

thanks

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh you mean gearbox whining? eek, i hope not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have the chain at factory specified tension, then I can only assume it's rubbing on something or that the rear wheel may not be in alignment. Did you put the spacers in the same side they came out from?

FWIW, my markings on my swingarm are out about 0.7 degree. I only use them as a rough guide, and align them either with a long ruler or laser against the front wheel before I'm completely done. There are also other alignment tools to attach to the sprocket for this purpose. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/chain_alignment_tool/

Corey

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
If you have the chain at factory specified tension, then I can only assume it's rubbing on something or that the rear wheel may not be in alignment. Did you put the spacers in the same side they came out from?

FWIW, my markings on my swingarm are out about 0.7 degree. I only use them as a rough guide, and align them either with a long ruler or laser against the front wheel before I'm completely done. There are also other alignment tools to attach to the sprocket for this purpose. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/chain_alignment_tool/

Corey
Adjust it so that the sprocket rides centered in the chain...easily done.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adjust it so that the sprocket rides centered in the chain...easily done.

ok i see where you guys are going. this sounds plausible.

the sprockets and chain were done by the dealer, so maybe they did not align it.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Check your chain for kinks, From what your saying. I had the same problem and found it to be a kink in the chain. Remove the rear wheel and check the chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts