Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I maybe exaggerated a little lol .. use the bikes tool kit to remove the rear wheel and tire and then removed the old rubber and installed a new rear tire... kinda neat thinking I just saved a load of money minus the cost of a balance

·
Registered
147 Posts
nice i did the same thing bro

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
the rear wheel hasn't been balanced on my bike since the factory tire was removed. no problems either. not even at 140mph.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah.... I'll spec the torq out tonight... but all in all it was very simple and not to difficult to complete... doing it with out a stand was kinda fun to figure out though lol

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
how did u get the old tire off and new tire on without anything? does bikes toolkit come with something for that?

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I just used the handles of the wrenches as a spoon of sorts and pry'd in the oposite direction to unseat the seal.. I then worked my way around it with a folded up piece of milk jug to keep from scratching anything and before I knew it I had the old rubber off.. then took the new tire and reversed what I did "used soapy water during the process" and I had the tire mounted in no time.. just seated the bead again... it was way easier than I had initally thought!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
dam good job.. i hada hard time getting my bmx bike's tires off and on when i painted the rims

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Don't be a fool into thinking you guys can do the same with the front tire--trust me on this. Not balancing & torquing the rear tire may not be vital but I'd do it to be on the safe side.

Don't be [email protected]' stupid guys.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey now.. there is no stupidity about this particular operation man... "I know that they balance em for a reason" I will attempt to mount the front just because I want to find out if I can or not.... if its no dice then off to the shop she goes .. but if I can refrain from spending 40+$$$ on a simple rubber swap minus the Balance fee then I'll jump all over that. I can and will take them into the shop to have them balanced out. anyways .. I used a 2x4 across the rafter to distribute the weight of the bike's rear along with a construction anchor and ratchet type tiedowns to suspend the bike by the rear sets from the roof of my garage .... it worked out great! I strongly suggest that everyone atleast give it a shot... worst case you have to take it into a shop to complete it ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did mine a few months ago. Harbor freight has tire irons to pry the tires off the rims for $5 a piece. Takes 2 irons and some time so as to not damage the rims. The worst part for me was not having any stands at the time aswell, so I had to hang the bike from my rafters with ratchet straps like so many of us do. Good job not letting a shop overcharge you for a very simple repair.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
How did you break the bead?

·
Registered
91 Posts
You should invest in some tire irons, it makes the job that much easier. You can use simple green to slip the new tire on and seat the bead, it works great! If you guys have a cycle gear near you they might do free balancing like the one in baton rouge. Doing the work yourself not only saves money but also gives you piece of mind that its done right.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hey now.. there is no stupidity about this particular operation man... "I know that they balance em for a reason" I will attempt to mount the front just because I want to find out if I can or not.... if its no dice then off to the shop she goes .. but if I can refrain from spending 40+$$$ on a simple rubber swap minus the Balance fee then I'll jump all over that. I can and will take them into the shop to have them balanced out. anyways .. I used a 2x4 across the rafter to distribute the weight of the bike's rear along with a construction anchor and ratchet type tiedowns to suspend the bike by the rear sets from the roof of my garage .... it worked out great! I strongly suggest that everyone atleast give it a shot... worst case you have to take it into a shop to complete it ...
I'm not sure if you understand the implications of a front tire not being balanced and/or bolts not torqued under hard braking (ie. emergency stops).

You may have saved $40 but you may just have accrued thousands of dollars in medical bills if you continue to believe that. One mistake is all it takes.

All for the sake of saving $40. Unbelieveable.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I change my own tires too. I have a static wheel balancer that I bought from Marc Parnes which works phenomenally. http://www.marcparnes.com/
I also bought this ugly bead breaker from harbor freight. Not pretty but gets the job done.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92961
You can also build a home made bead breaker out of wood. Google how to do it.
Luckily I have a front and rear stand that made lifting the bike easy.

Yeah, torquing those bolts correctly and in the right order is imperative. Follow the service manual to the "T" when it comes to remounting your wheels.

The only difficulty that I had was getting the tire's bead to set. The front tire was easy and I did that with my tiny air compressor, but I had to bring my rear wheel to the gas station to use their compressor. It worked fine.

It's nice to know that I am saving a lot of money especially since I'll be going through a lot of tires from trackdays.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts