Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike on Friday and its the first bike I've owned so my knowledge of bikes is limited.

I changed the oil today which took about 5 hours because I had to go to walmart twice. I was expecting to be able to take the oil filter off by hand and I tried everything I could think of (even using a belt) and it wouldn't budge. Finally got it off with oil filter plyers. I also ended up having to take the lower fairings off and unscrew the coolant reservoir to push it out of the way. I did not disconnect the coolant hoses, but I accidentally tipped it over and lost some coolant through the hose that ends at the kick stand. Not a lot, as it did not lower the reservoir much.

So then I changed the filter, and filled it up with 3 qts of mobile 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil. Let it sit for a few minutes then came back and turned it on. The temperature gauge did not give a reading. Just said " - - ". Oil pressure light went out as normal. Then I started to see a blueish tint smoke and smelt kinda like burning rubber or oil. Which I assumed some just some oil that split onto the pipes (which should have been minimal as I put aluminum foil over the pipes and wiped them down some after).

The smoke spooked me so I shut it off and left it for a few minutes. Then came back and turned it on again and let it idle. Still could smell the burning so I shut it off again and left. Came back again later and turned it on. This time the temperature sensor was working. The temperature seemed to steadily climb, which seemed to be faster than normal. So i drove it down the street and back (about a mile total) and it stayed at about 180*F. kept it at very low RPMs. It was about 68* out.

Got back to the garage and let it idle for a bit and the temperature started to climb steadily. I got scared and shut it off at 220*. Could still slightly smell something burning.

So am I just over reacting or is there some things I should check to make sure I didn't mess them up?? Seems like the engine should not be climbing that steadily when I only road it for like 5 minutes and was riding at about 2-3k RPM for the most part.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
All normal. The temp sensor won't read until it gets to about 100 or so. No worries there. And the oil burning was probably just some splash you got on your headers.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Also, at 220 your fan should kick on. As long as that happened, no worries again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can you see the oil in the little window when the bike is upright and centered? You shouldn't see any oil when it's on the kickstand, but when it's upright and centered ( as if you are riding) it should fill only half of the window.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
it should fill only half of the window.

not tryin to be a doooosh but this isn't totally accurate. the oil level just needs to be anywhere between the two lines and your good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil Window: no oil when the bike is on the kick stand. Little above half way when upright. So that checks out fine.

When I put the coolant tank back on, I routed the top left hose behind where the tank screws to the frame. I was not sure if it went behind or in front. I don't know if that would be an issue or not?

What are some things I could do to test to make sure everything is ok? Making sure the fan kicks on around 220*F is one thing I'll try tomorrow. Anything else? Assuming the fan does kick on, I assume the engine would then be able to keep the temperature from rising while idling? What behavior should I expect?

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and quick responses!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
my bikes get hot fast when idling, fan should come on at 220F. as far as the coolant line, i'm not sure where that goes, but double check to see you don't have it touching exhaust or other hot parts. you probably spilled a little oil on the headers and are smelling that burn off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
not tryin to be a doooosh but this isn't totally accurate. the oil level just needs to be anywhere between the two lines and your good.
no worries.. I should have been more descriptive. I'm writing on a tablet and it's pretty hard.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
All normal. The temp sensor won't read until it gets to about 100 or so. No worries there. And the oil burning was probably just some splash you got on your headers.
Word.....:+1:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
walmart sell motorcycle oil ?
Yes sir. It was like $9 a qrt too. I was hoping to get Rotella 5w-40 as many people on here said it was cheap and high quality, but they only had it for regular vehicles. Which I don't know if its ok to use that stuff or it has to be motorcycle specific oil. I had read somewhere that it was not the same so I went on the safe side since I had no idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Road it for a short trip today and it stayed around 175* for most of the trip. I let it heat up to see if the fan kicked on and it did around 220* as expect. So everything seems to be fine.

I guess I was just over reacting, I'm learning! Thanks everyone who responded!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Road it for a short trip today and it stayed around 175* for most of the trip. I let it heat up to see if the fan kicked on and it did around 220* as expect. So everything seems to be fine.

I guess I was just over reacting, I'm learning! Thanks everyone who responded!
yea you overreacted, haha.
you cracked me up.
spend some time reading how to's and browse the maintenance section.
just to build your knowledge of the bike. so that when normal things happen you will not be spooked.

Walmart sells rotella synthetic too. lot of guys on dotnet run it, im switching from Repsol synth to the Rotella this weekend i believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts