Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know where i can find a diy, on how to change a fuel filter?

some ppl say my filter is dirty... thats why the engine shuts off....

if this is the case... can i just clean it? or do i have to replace it?

is it easy?

i have install fuel pump/ fuel filter for cars... but not on bikes. .

thanks

sean

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Dont think they have a fuel filter... theres just a strainer on the fuel pump..

Just have to take off the fuel tank, drain the fuel and then take the pump out of the fuel tank and clean the screen...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The fuel filter is located in the fuel pump assembly. Its mounted on the bottom and inside the fuel tank. Pull the pump out and you'll see what im talking about. You should be able to figure it out from there if you have the mechanical ablity to do this job on a car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hm if its just a strainer... i dont see how that can get clogged... i mean, fuel is liquid... its not solid or anything... how can i get a clogged filter?

btw, when i open the fuel tank and use a flashlight, i see red "strainer/fiber" at the bottom... ontop of the pump... is that the strainer? what is that red stuff?

thanks!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
We do have a fuel strainer and a fuel filter. I suspect that the fuel pump and fuel filter are integrated in one piece but can't confirm that. You might want to check your fuel line between the air box and the tank and make sure it's not getting pinched as well as your air filter. The air filter loads up quicker then the schedule shows. I'd suggest every 8k miles for the air filter.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hm ok... im guessin that red stuff is the strainer then... too bad they dont have color photos...

na the bike only have 250 miles.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
AlpineJim said:
Where in the SM does it show you the fuel filter?

pg. 6-60 talks about the strainer and nothing about the filter..
Look at the page I just posted above. It's Page 2-2 in the SM. It's shown in another location but I can't find it right now. That's why I think it's integrated into the fuel pump. Meaning, when you change the fuel pump it comes with the fuel filter.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Look at the page I just posted above. It's Page 2-2 in the SM. It's shown in another location but I can't find it right now. That's why I think it's integrated into the fuel pump. Meaning, when you change the fuel pump it comes with the fuel filter.
Well I knew about page 2-2, and the only other pg that has to do with the fuel pump, is 6-58 and they just say clean the screen on the strainer..

Thats what I was thinking the unit had the filter built in it.. I never had a fuel pump out of the RR to see it in person. Also on the microfiche doesnt give any p/n for the fuel filter just the pump. and a new pump is 230ish..

you might want to check the fuel lines and make sure they don't have a pinch in them..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts