Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've done the reading on this before. I never had the curiosity of trying it. But after i seen someone changing gears with out clutching, it seemed interesting. Now my question is, what are the long term effects of this. My brother was saying that it might mess up the fly wheel or something like that. Any input is fine. This is for a stock 600rr.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My mechanic suggested to me one time doing it when I was thought something was wrong with my clutch. He said it doesn't hurt the bike as long as you use the clutch when you change down. I tried it once butdidnt like it, so used my clutch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree.. I upshift ALL the time unless I am drag racing or something. Down shifting is something I use the clutch for. You have to be at the right RPM when downshifting or its kinda violent

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Idk but isn't it better to at least clutch out of 1st & 2nd? The rest you can do with out clutch. Idk that is what some local guys say they do when there are trying to accelerate hard. Havent tried it myself. But its the same thing when you shift before your disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
all you have to do is this:

1. apply pressure upwards (preload) on the shift lever
2. roll off the throttle
3. you have successfully shifted smoothly without using the clutch.

I did it all the time when I had a bike and never had a problem. I mostly see new riders shift to higher gears with the clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
doing this for sure increases the wear on the syncronizers in the trans, but they are designed for it. i've done it, but dont do it. i hate how it sounds and i figure use the clutch and do the engine a favor. i also believe that the clutch is a very crucial control and should be as incorporated into your riding as possible, it is the key to traction.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
no clutch upshift. you don't have to be revving to high heaven either.

just be smooth. if you're using any more than a slight bit of pressure on the shift pedal, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I do 1-2 clutchless, it just takes practice and the right touch.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
I don't use the clutch for upshifts at all, apart from maybe in the town into 1st or 2nd. I find that, for the most part, my upshifts without the clutch are much smoother than with it. I don't know for sure if it's completely pain free for the transmission; maybe some of the more experienced guys might have had/seen problems with this in the past?

I always use the clutch going down the gears.

·
fall down 7times get up 8
1,479 Posts
neither
upshifting, as long as you slightly roll off throttle, when executing shift, it shouldn't be an issue

on downshift it can also be done a similar way but isn't as easily done.
what's best for manual transmissions in general, is matching road speed with transmission speed. so whenever you are downshifting add some revs to improve meshing the two speeds together & smooth out downshifting
this method is like an old school slipper clutch
just as hitting the rev limiter is old school traction control :banger:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just went out and tried upshifting no clutch smooth as butter!!! Clutch for first and second and thats it for me. Have done it in my car and just as smooth but only tried it from 3rd to 4th since thats the easiest

1 - 20 of 72 Posts