Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i remember reading somewhere on this board or another that we can change gears without the use of the clutch?? how on earth do we do that?? is it safe?? thanks! just curious... :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Changing up is quite easy. Changing down is not recommended, unless you really know what you're doing.

To change up, preload the gear lever with a bit of upward pressure, and maintain. Snap the throttle off then on again, you'll feel the gear slot in through the lever.

However, the clutch is there.... use it.

I only clutchless if i'm riding one handed, and am too lazy to reach forward to operate the clutch.

Its a useful technique, should you find that your clutch cable snaps mid-ride (though, not so pleasant during peak hour traffic)
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I do it up once in a while.....i also can do it down shifting....but i typically use the clutch.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
do you think i should wear my helmet when i go 750? i'm thinkin the wind will mess up my hair if i don't.

seriously, i thought everyone went clutchless when they were shifting up under power. i'm an old trucker and get sore hands so do it when i can. i know all the trackies probably don't clutch. what do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sumoboy said:
Changing up is quite easy. Changing down is not recommended, unless you really know what you're doing.

To change up, preload the gear lever with a bit of upward pressure, and maintain. Snap the throttle off then on again, you'll feel the gear slot in through the lever.

However, the clutch is there.... use it.

I only clutchless if i'm riding one handed, and am too lazy to reach forward to operate the clutch.

Its a useful technique, should you find that your clutch cable snaps mid-ride (though, not so pleasant during peak hour traffic)
thanks for the advice on how to do it sumoboy :idea:

i was wondering it was ok to do it on the up shift, cuz i know you can do it on cars at certain (high) rpms as well, but it's really risky cuz you may bust some cogs/teeth...i'll give it a shot when the weather clears up a bit here. thanks again guys! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Mashimaro said:
i was wondering it was ok to do it on the up shift, cuz i know you can do it on cars at certain (high) rpms as well, but it's really risky cuz you may bust some cogs/teeth...i'll give it a shot when the weather clears up a bit here. thanks again guys! :D
Cars and bikes have different gearbox design. The one used on bikes, so called called "sequesntial" so only one up or down one time. The same logic only used in racecars, reg. cars have "H pattern", meaning you can get to any gear, from anywhere.

The spaciality of the sequesntial gearbox is that the are no sichro mechanisms needed (less thing to ruin >:), so no worry about normal up/downshifts if U know what RU doin'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oyabun said:
Cars and bikes have different gearbox design. The one used on bikes, so called called "sequesntial" so only one up or down one time. The same logic only used in racecars, reg. cars have "H pattern", meaning you can get to any gear, from anywhere.

The spaciality of the sequesntial gearbox is that the are no sichro mechanisms needed (less thing to ruin >:), so no worry about normal up/downshifts if U know what RU doin'
i was refering to the regular cars with the 'h' pattern that you could do a 'clutch-less' shift with. a friend of mine demonstrated once on his bmw from 1st to 2nd and then again from 3rd to 4th gear. kinda scary watching him do it so i was wondering if it would be same on a bike (ie: will i destroy the cogs?)...thanks for your input though :smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
back when i was a fool and drove volkswagens i seemed to encounter broken clutch cables regularly. i remember dropping my girls off at daycare and just driving to school. if i was lucky i could keep it rolling at the lights and not have to kill it. if you understand how to match your engine to road speed it's really pretty easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Mashimaro said:
i was refering to the regular cars with the 'h' pattern that you could do a 'clutch-less' shift with. a friend of mine demonstrated once on his bmw from 1st to 2nd and then again from 3rd to 4th gear. kinda scary watching him do it so i was wondering if it would be same on a bike (ie: will i destroy the cogs?)...thanks for your input though :smile:
OK. Lets get dirty technical.
In a regular H pattern car Gbox (to add the freedom to switch from any gear to any gear) there is a sinchronisation mechanism. These can only work if you clutch. With the clutch they do the job of alingning the speed of the differentially spinning gearbox wheels. Without tho, the driver has to align the engine speed with gear speed. Practically it is very easy to switch to neutral from any gear with no load (read. no gas) on the engine.
Without the clutch If one srews up shifting, these sinchro drums go bad first then the normal driving gears.
In a sequential Gbox there are no sinchro mechanism. It is because it is a fixed shifting sequence one up or down. This way the joining wheel pairs allways spin with same speed. The only thing is that one has to let off the gas (to release pulling tension) from the cogs, allowing to slide to the next gear. It needs some practice tho.
As a start try upshifts as Sumoboy described.
Some comments.
The main thing is, that it has to be a definite, firm action. Be a man, dont try to be neither too soft or too hard. When you let off the gas, yo have to notice a definite changing point, where the bike changes from acceleration to deceleration. You need to concentrate to this point.
Do not try too high revs.
Start with switching to gear 3 and up.
Have fun :)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top