Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Let the shop do it. Unless you have tire levers to get the rear off, and mount the new one, a static or dynamic balancer to balance the wheel with the new tire on, and a high pressure air supply to inflate the new tire enough for in to seat the beads on the rim, without blowing it up in your face.

Without the gear, I wouldn't try. Just ain't worth it when you think of the high speed consequences of screwing the job up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much did you guys pay for it? I think I can get the stock 208's for about 120... the shop told me about 180 after all is done... does this sound right?

·
Registered
937 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
matt89 said:
how much did you guys pay for it? I think I can get the stock 208's for about 120... the shop told me about 180 after all is done... does this sound right?
sometimes the shop will do it for free if you buy it from them. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Typical cost to change a tire is $20 if you bring in just the wheel. It is alot more if they have to take it off.

I'm so glad my best bud owns a shop!!! Discount for all if ya come to St Louis!

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I take off the rin and bring it in so they can take off and change, balance the tires. Costs less then them taking them off and putting them back on the bike.

V

·
0 Posts
I just did the rear yesterday and it was a 15 dollar difference between me bringing in just the rim or the whole bike... my stand is practically paying for itself..

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just had it done at a local Dealer. Brought in two wheels and two new tires bought on line.

$33 total for mounting & balance. Unless you have the proper equipment and patience to learn how to do it (gets easier about the 3rd time!!!) take them in. :D

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
do you guys always get your tires balanced when changed? Last guy that did mine didn't balance them...they feel fine

·
Registered
362 Posts
i would stick w/ the motorcycle shops. i went to an auto tire place to change the race tires on my rx-7 racecar. what a cluster f*ck! they were lost. sidewall too tight, blah! blah! blah! i say stick w/ someone who knows...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I used to do it myself. KEYWORDs USED TO. It is so much easier to let them do it. If they screw up the rim they pay for it. I do pull off my rim and take it in also instead of the whole bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just changed front and rear tires on my bike this weekend and balanced them myself. the only tools i needed were the tire irons. It is a pain in the A$$. I had never done it before so it took a little longer than it should have but it all worked out in the end and next time it should be a little easier. I followed the directions from the above link, except for his designs for the wheel mount, bead breaker, and balancer.
For the balancer i used a set of small jack stands and set the axle on the stand to balance the wheel. Worked great, i have no vibration problems after balancing, i did scratch my rim in one spot though but it was my fault due to rushing to get the wheel mounted back on the swingarm. It was not caused when mounting and dismounting the tire.
Good Luck

·
Registered
411 Posts
take the wheels off and go to a race weekend and buy your tires there. Their price includes mounting and balancing and they ALWAYS do it correct at trackside!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts