Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling the RR in a few months and geting on to something more upright, semi-faired or naked.

It will be second-hand, and the year is not so important as long as it's fuel injected. Inverted forks and radial brakes would be great, but not essential. In a way this is essentially a "downgrade" and that's fine by me.

Considering the CB900 (Hornet) and the Z750, they both seem pretty decent and insurance is considerably lower than the RR too.

Whoever's moved on from the RR to something more upright or even regularly ride something else for commuting feel free to let me know what I don't.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
JohnDoubleR and theX have. I'm sure they will chime in.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Besides fuel injection and the front end what other criteria are you looking for? What I mean is are you looking for a commuter, sport, distance riding, what's your budget, etc. Are you looking more sumo type or more like a SS but with higher bars?

Lots of choices all over the place from an new MV like X just bought to a Ducati Monster to an older FZ1 (my dad just bought an 06, very nice bike) to a new GSX-1000 Suzuki. Lots of people have ridden quite a few bikes, but knowing a little more how much you want to spend and what you're looking to do would help.

The Hornet (CB919 here) is a fine bike but heavy feeling both in weight and steering and a little pokey for an almost-liter. Coming from an RR it'll feel like a rocket in the midrange but has very little top end surge, though the European bikes may not have been neutered as much as the U.S. versions. The Yamaha FZ line all around are quite nice from the FZ6R to the FZ-07, 08 and 09 for newer bikes as well as the "older" ones. Upright the Ducati Monsters are a great bike available in all sizes, shapes and price ranges.

More info and we can narrow the search down a bit more.

Mike

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Besides fuel injection and the front end what other criteria are you looking for? What I mean is are you looking for a commuter, sport, distance riding, what's your budget, etc. Are you looking more sumo type or more like a SS but with higher bars?

Lots of choices all over the place from an new MV like X just bought to a Ducati Monster to an older FZ1 (my dad just bought an 06, very nice bike) to a new GSX-1000 Suzuki. Lots of people have ridden quite a few bikes, but knowing a little more how much you want to spend and what you're looking to do would help.

The Hornet (CB919 here) is a fine bike but heavy feeling both in weight and steering and a little pokey for an almost-liter. Coming from an RR it'll feel like a rocket in the midrange but has very little top end surge, though the European bikes may not have been neutered as much as the U.S. versions. The Yamaha FZ line all around are quite nice from the FZ6R to the FZ-07, 08 and 09 for newer bikes as well as the "older" ones. Upright the Ducati Monsters are a great bike available in all sizes, shapes and price ranges.

More info and we can narrow the search down a bit more.

Mike
Hey Mike, I left it pretty open-ended as I really don't have anything specific in mind. I literally want to just change bikes for a few reasons, one being that I'm just not mature enough to ride this bike responsibly on the street, even though I've been riding it for 15 months now. Let's leave that point at that! :thumbup:

That top-end surge is precisely what I don't want, rather than do away with motorcycles altogether or jump on a 50cc scooter, I figured I'd just ride something more street oriented, torque down low where it counts. Weight and handling is not a big drama, I know that coming from the RR, something like the Hornet won't have anything close to the handling of the 600.

I'm sure the Hornet is wider, but I think the mirrors are somewhat closer together so filtering may be easier? If I had to pick any one thing it'd be reliability, so I'm sticking with the Jap bikes. Budget is low, I literally just want to sell this and buy the next with ideally some money left over and I think that's quite possible based on the prices I have looked at so far. I could elaborate on pricing, but I'm not sure if it will help as prices are quite different here (more expensive in general).

Although I must ask, what do people think of the VTR1000? Not the SP1 or SP2 but the Firestorm, being a V-twin, would it be OK with high mileage?

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Something like a Suzuki SV650 or SV 1000 would do what you're looking for.

It's a V twin so plenty of low down torque, fuel injected from 2003 onwards, only around 70hp so won't get you into too much bother although they're still capable of 130ish mph (650 version). There's the S model if you want clip ons (sport model comes with full lower fairings) or the naked version if you want traditional handlebars and a more upright position. They're relatively cheap and there's tons of aftermarket parts available for them. Cheap to insure compared to the RR too. They're good fun in the twisties and very capable bikes with a few bucks thrown at the suspension (many throw on gsxr front end to give USD forks and better brakes, but I found weight matched springs with cartridge emulators worked very well).

Also consider a VFR 800 v-tech?

·
Registered
70 Posts
My FZ1 was a great bike to ride. Very comfortable, well least it was to me. Had all the power I needed, great on gas. Just over all it had everything I was looking for in a bike that was sporty looking but very fun to ride.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That top-end surge is precisely what I don't want, rather than do away with motorcycles altogether or jump on a 50cc scooter, I figured I'd just ride something more street oriented, torque down low where it counts. Weight and handling is not a big drama, I know that coming from the RR, something like the Hornet won't have anything close to the handling of the 600.

I'm sure the Hornet is wider, but I think the mirrors are somewhat closer together so filtering may be easier? If I had to pick any one thing it'd be reliability, so I'm sticking with the Jap bikes. Budget is low, I literally just want to sell this and buy the next with ideally some money left over and I think that's quite possible based on the prices I have looked at so far. I could elaborate on pricing, but I'm not sure if it will help as prices are quite different here (more expensive in general).

Although I must ask, what do people think of the VTR1000? Not the SP1 or SP2 but the Firestorm, being a V-twin, would it be OK with high mileage?
It does sound like a sport Vtwin is what you're describing you'd like. Until you said Jap reliability (and cheaper running costs) I thought you were checking off all the boxes for a Ducati Monster.

The VTR1000/Firestorm/Superhawk is kind of like a Japanese Ducati. Never had one but know a couple people who have.
+ beautiful sound, nice fat midrange Vtwin power, a little rare & unique looking these days, Honda reliable.
- carbs. Not really a negative but you want FI., in stock form the suspension & brakes aren't all that great. Serviceable for cruising or commuting but needing a little attention to make it carve & stop more like you're accustomed. Being out of production for a number of years and only made for a few years you get the downside of rare & unique. Very little aftermarket stuff for it. Basically it's like a SV1000 with a little more class or a Ducati with Honda reliability.

·
Maynard
7,043 Posts
When I was looking at nakeds I came across the fz-09 and gsx-s750 for the oriental market. I hardly know anything about those bikes because I didn't ride them.

I know you want reliability but it's not like the Euro bikes wheels will fall off if you hit redline. There is money to be spent to prevent problems and maintain them though.

Triumph speed or street triple could be an option for you. The maintenance and reliability aren't bad at all. My friend had a speed and loved it. Much more reliable than a quacking duc.

Ride them! These bikes are so much better for commuting. They're rockets off the line as the heavy torque puts a smile on your face. My monster sits more comfortably, I'm not so cramped and I'm not as hunched over. The bike is easier to maneuver around. They're so much easier.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hey Mike, I left it pretty open-ended as I really don't have anything specific in mind. I literally want to just change bikes for a few reasons, one being that I'm just not mature enough to ride this bike responsibly on the street, even though I've been riding it for 15 months now. Let's leave that point at that! :thumbup:

Ok, cool, so you're not looking at expensive or new. That helps.

The VTR (or Superhawk here) is a GREAT bike and a shiny red 98 was my first brand new big bike I ever bought. Put 30,000 or so miles on it in a few seasons and loved it with three exceptions: the fuel mileage, tank capacity and Hondas flexy frame design. I could live with 30mpg with a 5 gallon tank or the 3.8 gallon tank if it got 50mpg but the RLOD red light of death or low fuel light) coming on after 80 miles sucked big time and made for several times hoping like hell I'd make the gas station. If you can live the 100 mile tank range you're fine, it's a fun, comfy bike that's a blast to ride.

The flexy frame was only when you REALLY pushed it; where I rode and rode fast had several very bumpy corners that used to get the frame flexing to the point it would loose the line and started to hamper my enjoyment. Know I was going way faster than I should have been on a public road and was REALLY pushing the bike to its limit. Know the flip side was once I traded the Hawk in on a demo 01 CBR929RR (by far my favorite bike to date) I was able to take the same corners faster and never had a hint of flex. But for a fun street bike the VTR can't be beat.

SV's are fun too, Triumph triples are cheap and easy to find, LOTS of options. Honestly, though, I've owned every generation of VFR (87, 90, 93, 97, 98, 02) and find them to be too heavy and sluggish to be fun. Personally the latest versions (I rode an 08 for an afternoon) and the 97 were my favorites, though parts can be tough to find.

Have fun looking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Triumph Street Triple R. If you like your RR, but want something more upright, the STR is right up your alley. The RR is known for it's low-mid RPM power, the STR magnifies that. Sport bike suspension. Pretty much a detuned Daytona 675 motor - it doesn't have the top end power. The come with a gear indicator and shift light. The newer ones have a fuel gauge as well. I didn't have to make any modifications on mine, it was perfect from the factory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts