Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to need to charge my battery up (as i haven't used the bike for 7 days !!!!!!)

Just wondered what you guys think about charging the battery whilst still on the bike? I know the optimate is a trickle charge and can be used whilst battery is still connected to bike, but can a normal battery charger be used in the same way?
My charger has a high fast charge, or slow overnight charge, so can i just connect the crocodile clips up whilst its on the bike then shove it on a slow charge? Will it cock any of the electrics up?

Its either that, take the battery out and charge or bump start the bike (which is a pain in the ass and i'm sure isn't good for the bike itself).

I know i've got an alarm on the bike (Which is drawing mA amounts, so shouldn't cause me any problems) , but it does piss me off that 7 days or less and the bike doesn't have enough power to start! One of the only gripes with a great bike,

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why does your battery go dead so quick? Mine sat all winter long with the battery in the bike and everything went fine when it was time to ride. I have no advice for the charging, but it seems like you might just want a new one if it goes dead in only 7 days.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The optimate can be used with the battery on the bike or removed. The only advice from Optimate is that the croc clips are for attaching to the terminals while the battery is off the bike. I use the charging socket hardwired on both my bikes, and an optimate for each.
Why does your battery go dead so quick?
If there is an aftermarket alarm or security system, even a small current draw will make a difference. Also short distances often do not allow the alternator to recharge the battery sufficiently.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. When i took bike for first year service, garage told me its common, they've even had ones for 2 days and they have gone flat.They suggested an optimate.

Now i'm a bit bugged by that comment, as if the bike 'needs' an optimate then it should have been supplied with the bike. I'm gonna email honda and see what their take on this problem is. It may kick the garage into gear!

I agree that the alarm will drain the battery slightly, but it does go into sleep mode and it doesn't beep continuosly, so the drain should not be enough to deaden the battery.
I agree short trips are no good and low rev trips are bad. The last run i had a week ago was about 80 miles of high rev stuff, so tomorrow i'll try the bike. If she fires up i'll be happy, if not, then persuasive email to honda. I hate not trusting the bike, but to be honest every time i art it, i almost expect it not to go!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bikes have small, light batteries, and aren't heavy duty. Remember all the marketing "my bike weighs....."? Well, a small battery helps these claims. They don't stand up on their own for long. Honest advice? Bite the bullet, buy the charger. Honda won't give a toss, or they'lll say if you used it every day it would be fine.

Optimates aren't expensive, and it will give you the reliability that you want. It sucks when bikes go flat in a day or two, but life's a bitch. Then you marry one. Then you die.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts