Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went up to start my bike one morning and it failed to start. At first the cluster lit up when I turned the key, but after I pressed the starter button, I had no lights at all after that.

The day before I rode the bike and it was fine.

I tried to connect the bike's battery to my car battery (with car off of course) to jump start it. The bike started but as soon as I removed the jumper cables, the bike died.

I emailed the bike shop I got the battery from earlier in the season and they said it was likely a charging problem but I wanted a second opinion as I do not have experience with the electrical system of the bike and dont want to pay for something I dont need. Can you guys confirm this?

D

·
0 Posts
Start the bike and rev the engine to about 5,000RPM. Check the voltage at the battery. If it is staying at 12.xx volts or below, you have a charging system problem. If it's around 14v, your battery may be bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I tested the bike out with a new battery that I borrowed, these are the readings.

With new battery...
Before start: 12.72
Turn key: 12.15
Idle: 13.7
3k: 13.85
6k: 13.9

With my battery (not trickle charged yet)...
Before start: 12.38
Press starter button: 5​

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Probably not even worth trying to recharge your old battery. AGM batteries don't take well to being discharged that far.

Your voltages also look fine so the issue is more than likely just a dead battery.
As a side note, you are also supposed to have the high beam on when you check the charging system voltage (at 5k rpm), anything below 13.5 or above 15.5 is bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts