Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm fairly new. i talked to a couple of you already about this but still can't find any cheaper insurance. i've checked with state farm (because i have no other policy with them, they will not cover me), farmers, sentry, geico, usaa, breckinridge and now i'm waiting for a call back from allstate. right now i'm looking at paying 2300 a year for full coverage through progressive! this is horrible. every place i go to is killing me. i'm 21, active air force, clean driving record, use it for pleasure, and will soon have a safety course under my belt. but still, i'm getting screwed by every insurance company i find. 3,000-7000 a year for full coverage. no way i'm paying that. so i asked for help. thanks alot.

later

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing, is that state farm agent feeding me a line by saying "i have to have another policy with them" for them to cover me? i think allstate is like that but not state farm. let me know please.

later

·
Registered
27 Posts
call state farm back, negotiate with them for a cheaper rate..
you need to "convince" them
I negotiated w/ mine for an entire afternoon (on and off phone conversations of course)
started off at $1000 for annual premium
dropped down to $860, than $800
i settled for $800 and paid for the first 6 month w/ my credit card
a few weeks later, I received a letter in the mail stating that my premium has dropped by 50% and they refunded the rest with a check :bounce:

OH, A USEFUL TIP FOR YOU
How you answer their questions determine how expensive or cheap your rate is as well....
example: tell them your bike is a weekend toy, not a commuter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
shuwa29 said:
one more thing, is that state farm agent feeding me a line by saying "i have to have another policy with them" for them to cover me? i think allstate is like that but not state farm. let me know please.

later
yeah that's bs...you dont need another policy with them

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm going to check with 2 more local state farm agents. if it comes down to it, i might ask for your agents just to see if they will insure me here in san antonio. i know my age doesn't help but come on, i'm in the military, clean record, use it for pleasure...ect. anyways, thanks alot.

later

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go with State farm, I pay mine for 480/year with full cover 50/100/50. No, you dont have to have another policy with them, they are fooling you. Plus, dont even bother Progessive, they are suck, Good luck!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bro if you are military, use USAA, I pay 280 a year for my RR but I am 26 with a clean record. Yours should still be fairly cheap. USAA doesn't just ask for how long you have owned rockets either, they want total bike experience on and off road for your life. In that case, I had 16 years experiance on bikes and licensed off and on for 10 years. They are a great insurance company. They may be high for the first 6 months, they were with me because I was a new customer and owned two sports cars, 6 months later, they cut my premium in half because I am a safe driver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i always dreamed of getting a sportbike and it was quite a shock when i started researching insurance. progressive quoted me $2400 / year for full coverage with liability set to state min. and deductibles set at $1000. i'm 21, have a clean driving record, and the bike is truly a pleasure vehicle since i live in a dorm in college park and the bike is garaged at my dad's house in an affluent neighborhood twenty miles away. however, as shocking as it was, i understand the insurance companies' viewpoint. if you're like most young guys, you're buying this bike and you have very little riding experience. the likelihood of a crash is high, regardless of whether you're level-headed or not, and when the crash happens you're riding a bike that's expensive to repair. add to this the fact that crooks dream of stealing the rr and you can see why the circumstances are unfavorable for an insurance company. plus, you've got young guys like duke basketball player jay williams making headlines because he wrecked his brand new r6 and has potentially ended his basketball career. just chalk it up to the price of admission and hope that it gets better. with regards to choosing insurance, its hard to believe anything is better than usaa. both of my uncles use this insurance, and both of them did extensive research because one of them has an s2000 and a gixxer 1000 and the other has a corvette z06 and a custom built hot rod so insurance don't come cheap. good luck.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well if all goes as planned, state farm will hook me up with $372 a every 6 months with full coverage. that's what i want to hear. so i'll try and go tomorrow or wednesday to finalize it and give progressive the middle finger. thanks for all the help on this, now i will actually have money to mod my rr.

later

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, all the statefarm people i've talked to here in san antonio are saying i have to have like auto or some other form of insurance with them. what gives, anybody want to hook me up with your insurance agent so maybe i can get a break. i'm not happy paying 200 a month for full coverage. please help. thanks.

later

·
Registered
15 Posts
what about i'm 19,have a clean driving record. do you think i still can get those cheap price? or i hear that people say that i can ask my parents to co-sign for me, is that true? thanks

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well my car is in ga and it's currently uninsured since no one is driving it and it's paid off. so i don't have any other way to add a vehicle. i'm going to call progressive customer service and bitch at them about why i'm not getting ama or honda riders accossiation discounts. and for being in the military, come on, show me some love or something!

later

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
sportbikes and young riders cost money to insure. Big money.

BUT, if you are a member of AAA (roadside assistance anyone) they also have insurance. I have my rr with them (and my autos). They quote premiums based on ENGINE CC only. I pay $450/YEAR for full coverage. 36yo, married, clean driving record (knock on wood), etc.

check them out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
shuwa29, do you rent or own...if you rent try getting renters insurance w/ them, its maybe 10 bucks a month, then try adding your bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
also keep in mind rates vary on location. due to crime/thief/accident rates/ etc. I also have USAA and love them. I've been with them for years and will never go anywhere else. I pay about 450/year for my bike to be fully insured. I wish it was lower like others that have USAA, but its because of my location. oh well.
im 29/ 1 ticket/ tennessee

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i own it, and since i got stationed at lackland afb in san antonio, that's why my premium jumped 500 dollars. but i'm checking into hrca and ama for added discounts with progressive and how the bikes stored. so we'll see how much more of a discount i get.

later

1 - 20 of 20 Posts