Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some information for transporting the bike.

i need to go from NC to MD (4-5 hour driving)

uhaul offers bike trailers for cheap, but you need to have the hitch installed. if you don't(i don't) uhaul sells them for $200, which really hypes up the price.

cheapest motorcycle trasnport company offered me $400.

is there any cheaper way to do this??

help. thanks.

V

·
0 Posts
Borrow a buddy's truck...

also you could check with Amtrak. They have that auto rail thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
go to pepboys or vip or any autoparts store and get a set of 4 tie down straps (tell them you need to haul a motorcycle in a pickup truck if you can't find them on your own) That's it man, maybe a buddy or two to help you roll or ride it up into the truck.

J

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks.. i figured i'd need straps.. but what about the details?? how do you position the bike and all.. can you tell me more in details?? i know i can use common sense... but i want to make sure i have the right idea..

V

·
0 Posts
wait a min.. don't u need the ramp or something? how do you put the bike up on the truck?
Our bikes arent that heavy. You can just throw it up in the back of the bed.. ;-) Yeah you need a ramp. You can pick a nice aluminum fold up one up at Lowes for $80. If you have a hill you can back the truck up to, it makes loading the bike easier because there is less of an incline to push the bike up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i can't ride 5 hours because 1) bike is not with me 2) i'm a newbie, if you haven't figured that out already.

Our bikes arent that heavy. You can just throw it up in the back of the bed.. Yeah you need a ramp. You can pick a nice aluminum fold up one up at Lowes for $80. If you have a hill you can back the truck up to, it makes loading the bike easier because there is less of an incline to push the bike up.
VinRR, thanks man! $80 isn't bad at all!

i still have one question left though.... after loading the bike, how do you position the bike? do you need a stand or something? i know this is pretty lame, but help a newbie here.

V

·
0 Posts
No stand. Just pull it straight in. Secure it with the straps. Two in the front around the handle bars or forks and two in the rear. The pegs are a good place to put the straps. Im sure there are some people on here that have trailered their bikes a lot more than me that could offer some better suggestions. Here is a pick when I brought my bike home for the summer. It should look something like that. I dont have any passenger pegs so I put the straps around the swingarm. It worked fine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
5 hours isn't much at all...you will have to stop a couple of times anyways for gas, so just take a break and keep riding. I've ridden 4 hours of twisties only to have to ride the Freeway home for 1.5 hours afterwards...I've ridden to the track an hour away, rode the track all day, and rode home. Riding the highway is cake, unless this is your first bike and you have no experience.

Rent a pickup from enterprise and rent a couple of ramps from home depot for $3-$5 a day and do it that way. you could just rent a regular uhaul truck that has a built in ramp and do it that way, but if you have to pay for milage you will be screwed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you can rent ramps?? woah.. i didn't know that.. gotta check it out. but why do you need couple of ramps? don't you just need one?

·
Registered
423 Posts
go to your local bike shop and buy you some softstraps. they go over the grips and have loops for the hooks on your tie downs to go in and you dont have to worry about scratching anything

V

·
0 Posts
but why do you need couple of ramps? don't you just need one?
Sometimes it is just easier to walk up along side of the bike when you are pushing it up than it is to try and put it up a ramp with you on the ground..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts