Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so today i had a customer come in to the office and asked me to take a look at his insurance policy for his motorcycle.

he asked me to verify if he had full coverage. i took a look and assured him that he did and went over the coverages with him.

he looked fairly young and i saw that he was paying like $550 for a year for full coverage on his bike. i was suprised. i told him that he was getting a great price and let him know how much i was paying for my bike.

i find out that he has a 07 gsxr 600. i had noticed that on the policy it didnt have a gixxer as the insured vehicle...instead it was a suzuki quad something 90cc. however, the vin # matched. now we have a major problem.

this kid, 20yrs old, has been riding around for a year with insurance for the wrong bike paying the wrong premium. ALSO, he didnt even have his m1 endosement, just a permit. yet this agent still sold him a policy.

i explain to him that his policy is completely messed up and that if done correctly he would be paying like $3000/yr, but thats with an m1 endorsement. he shouldnt have even been able to buy insurance from this particular company.

moral of the story? check your insurance! make sure all the info is correct. although it may not be your fault for agent error, and that that agency will be responsible for all damages, it can become a big mess and a headache. sh!t happens and there is NO Guarantee that things will go your way. also, be very cautious, there are a lot of agents who dont know what the f* they are doing or they just dont care and will lie just to sell a policy.

sorry for the long post...i cant sleep and i thought this would be a good reminder for people.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. Did he not even look at his insurance card? Vehicle info is printed right on it...unless it's different for different agencies.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know about other people, but my insurance cards have the make and model and vin on them... Not sure how you could NOT notice that...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in the event of an accident, the agent/agency that wrote that policy for him would have been liable for any damages because it was their error. the agency should have coverage for "errors and omissions" so it would be paid out by their insurance.

how didnt he see that the vehicle was listed wrong on the policy/id card? there are several possiblities. a lot of people dont know squat about insurance. they put their trust in the hands of the agent/broker. a lot of people are just simply afraid to ask. another reason could be that he might have known that there was an error but just wanted to keep the low premium and if anything happened he wouldnt be liable for it.

but in this case, i dont believe he purposely tried to cheat. just was ignorant and inexperienced.

unfortunately there are a lot of agents out there who dont care about the customers at all. if something doesnt seem right or you just dont understand, dont be afraid to question the agent.

i know of several agencies/brokerages that actually would pretend to write a policy but in reality just print out a fake ass policy and insurance id card then give it to the client. they would pocket 100% of the premiums. you wouldnt know you have been jacked until you needed insurance.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
It would be a messy case in court......even if the agent made the error and there is a voice recording to prove it, most policies that come in the mail state you must review that the information is correct and you are obligated to report any errors.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
in the event of an accident, the agent/agency that wrote that policy for him would have been liable for any damages because it was their error. the agency should have coverage for "errors and omissions" so it would be paid out by their insurance.

how didnt he see that the vehicle was listed wrong on the policy/id card? there are several possiblities. a lot of people dont know squat about insurance. they put their trust in the hands of the agent/broker. a lot of people are just simply afraid to ask. another reason could be that he might have known that there was an error but just wanted to keep the low premium and if anything happened he wouldnt be liable for it.

but in this case, i dont believe he purposely tried to cheat. just was ignorant and inexperienced.

unfortunately there are a lot of agents out there who dont care about the customers at all. if something doesnt seem right or you just dont understand, dont be afraid to question the agent.

i know of several agencies/brokerages that actually would pretend to write a policy but in reality just print out a fake ass policy and insurance id card then give it to the client. they would pocket 100% of the premiums. you wouldnt know you have been jacked until you needed insurance.
ya a similar incident had happen to me.

Allstate and their agent are all crook. they give me a quote for my car and 2 month later wanted another 700 more for my primium. this is all because the agent prepare the insureace wrong during quoting. i kind of felt that he delibertly quoted me that ammount to lure me in.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hmmm, my bike is listed as a CBR 600, 599cc, vins match - should I worry about the missing RR part? They have pictures on file so it's not like my insurance company can claim it's a different bike. Agent just punched in the name manually so it doesn't seem like they care.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you should be fine chris.

yea there are a lotta crooks out there and they make honest agents, like me and my company, look so bad. because of this, we have to work even harder to instill trust in our clients. but thats fine, those crooks just make us look even better.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That has to be one of the most super duperest corrupt things I've heard.

·
Registered
939 Posts
here in the UK a CBR 600 is much cheaper to insure than the CBR 600 RR.
even though they have pictures I would double check it Chris.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
here in the UK a CBR 600 is much cheaper to insure than the CBR 600 RR.
even though they have pictures I would double check it Chris.
That sux bro, here in Ontario, Canada all that seems to matter is the engine size and not the designation (RR).

·
Registered
939 Posts
RR's are a higher insurance group here because everyone seems to want to steal them. If I did not store it in a garage I would probably have to pay at least three times the premium, if I could get it at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
+1 great advice :) us agents DO make mistakes
Agreed lol. When I switched from Geico to Progressive the agent goofed up and had the 1year premium for full coverage withdrawn from my bank account instead of the one month repeat charges I had asked them to set up. Ended up having to speak to the district manager who was able to refund it after 14 days when he heard the conversation recording. so yeah...+1 for checking your coverage/premium/payment info verbally when you buy it as they record everything during your calls.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts