Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are "Chicken Stripes"?? I am thinking they refer to tires and the way you turn, but I am not too sure....can someone explain?

Thanks! :lol2:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thy are the unscuffed portions on the outside of your tire. Pay no attention to what people say about them. I can scuff the whole tire in a parking lot at 10mph. It doesn't mean I can ride. Use whatever portion of the tire you are comfortable with and conditions call for and don't worry about the rest. Ride and smile.

C

·
0 Posts
Chicken Strips are the part of the tire you dont touch when you lean over in a turn. You can see the difference in the tread of the tire and the chicken strip.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Also sometimes referred to as pu**y stripes - :)

These are from my RC51 - see how the ENTIRE contact area tire is used? These tires have no chicken strips.

Here's the rear tire... easy enough right? Just lean the bike over.

Here's the front - this is where the "real" story gets told - it's easy enough to lean over and get rid of the chicken from the rear tire, but getting them off the front is a little harder.

Next time you roll up on a group of riders pay attention to the tires, they tell you a world of information about what kind of rider that person is.

V

·
0 Posts
Dont try doing what Jetblast did to his tires on the street... you will kill yourself. Dont worry about chicken strips, you can still be a good rider and have them. Mostly everyone in Florida has them unless you take the bike to the track. You dont really need to look at a guy's tires to see if they are a squid or not, you should be able to see one from a mile away. :wink: There are a lot in Squidville right??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thats what I thought....if you never ride a track, why wouldn't you have chicken stripes. I'd love to ride a track someday...damn Army never gives me time to do shiznit though.

Thanks fellas... :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Chicken strip is the term bikers use when referring to to edge of the tyre not scuffed by road content. The inference is that you aren't doing it right until you have the whole tyre used. For road riding this is macho ****. The art of cornering is to minimise the lean angle of the bike, and to get it upright, to apply power, as soon as possible.

·
Registered
286 Posts
lol man if some one checked my strips out a nd wanted to dog that would give them plenty of ammo, im a ***** when it comes to ridding often because I value my motorcycle over my life, though keeping the motorcycle safe does tend to keep me alive so i guess I value my life to *Grin*

·
Registered
310 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
Next time you roll up on a group of riders pay attention to the tires, they tell you a world of information about what kind of rider that person is.
Don't be one of those squids more concerned about chicken strips, than safety. If you have race tires on your race bike like JetBlast10, I would hope there's no chicken strips, but for the street don't worry about it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice example of chicken strips....This is me messing with a buddies bike that he kept in my garage last summer.

The cherry bomb sounded like sh*t, but it was pretty funny...

·
Registered
172 Posts
It *was* a Kawi 636......hehe

·
Registered
183 Posts
VinRR said:
Mostly everyone in Florida has them unless you take the bike to the track.
That woulnd't have anything to do with the roads in Florida being pretty much straight as an arrow now would it? Don't the guys who enjoy the twisties have to travel out of state to get some. :lol2:

Like Cornerworker and some of the Peeps said. If all you do is ride on the street then don't sweat it. It just means that you don't take unnecessary chances. It's the punks that talk smack about how well they ride and they still have chicken strips (i.e. SQUIDS :squid: ).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yeah whatever they said...You'll see them on every cromed out R1 and Gixxer with the neon lights and crap. These are the same people that put 200 series tires on ther bikes to get better traction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts