Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am new to motorcycles, but not to speed. I currently own a 05 STi and am looking to let her sit a little while and get a sportbike. Now I know that most the bikes are so similiar in performance, but I am trying to figure out what I should be looking for. A fellow co-worker of mine who is an avid bike rider told me Honda's are the best handling bikes.

Anyway I am looking to spend $5,500 and wanted to see if that limits me to anything in particular? I like three bikes, 600rr, GSX-R 600, and ZX6RR.

Just trying to get some experienced riders opinions on my choices so I don't go into this decision to blind. I am thinking 03-04 on all those bikes.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow and I thought this was a respectable forum.

Why waste your time and post something like that........

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Redlinr your right most all the bikes in the 600 class are about equal. gsxr-600 ,yamaha r-6 ,Honda 600RR, Kawi 636 ..etc....etc.... if your not a track junkie I really don't think it makes a difference in what you get, I would say go to a dealership and sit on all of them to see how you feel on them, then you can start looking for the one you like best.
Personally, I would go with the RR. The handling is incredible and theres plenty of power for all your needs. I like the Honda reliability so It's hard for me to get a diffferent bike. Like I said get the bike you feel the best on, Hopefully it's the RR.

And I have no Idea what anicca's response was supposed to mean.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You are on a Honda message board so most people will have a bias. However, I've owned a Yamaha R6, Honda 600 F3 and ridden a GSXR. I personally like the way Honda's handle out of the bunch. Plus, I think the Honda makes better quality stuff. In conclusion, go sit on all 3 bikes, read lots of reviews and make your decision. In my opinion you can't go wrong with any of them, especially Honda!!!!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Unless you're getting into racing you're wasting $ on the ZX6-RR. You're better off to get the 636 which is faster and cheaper if you're going the Kawasaki route. As said above, they're all so close and as a noobie you won't get close to tapping the potential of any of them so get the one that fits you the best and like the looks of.

·
Registered
65 Posts
take the msf course, get a old bike to learn on and then get a 600rr, you will be much happier.

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
I have ridden all of the bikes in the 600 class with exception of the GSXR. Taking into condsideration that I am and was at the time, used to my 600RR I still would not trade it for any other 600. I have not done any track days but do ride my bike on a daily basis. Weekdays to work and weekends all over So Cal. When I got my bike it was for style and seating pos. Seemed to me that the windscreen on the other bikes was lower, almost to the point of me looking over the front strait down at the ground. Really didn't and don't like that. Like they said above, go sit on all of them.. Get the bike that fits the best and you like the looks of the best..

IMO.. Honda makes the best all around 600. Honda make the most reliable bike. And for the most part the people here are helpful. Of all the 600 riders I have riden with in the twisties, for some reason the 600RR riders are always in the front.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
dude i think the first reply was all about the 600s are not first bikes thing, iit you have an sti get ready for some real speed coz 600s eat rexs.... regardless, of that if you are sold on learning to ride and are getting an older bike , buy the honda, they make the most reliable and quality bikes, so your older set will see you right. welcome along and enjoy the ride pal!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
i agree with them all. this is how i made my decision. performance is all about the same unless you are a very experience rider. i myself am not an expert rider. i then narrowed it down to what i liked in terms of comfort and looks. the 2 choices left were the yami r6 and rr. since dealers typically don't give you test drives, i was then left with the final decision of price. i got the better deal with the honda; the rest is history. in the end, i have no regrets. love the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think Anicca meant to learn how to ride a bike before you buy one? I am not saying you don't know how to ride though (just my interpretation of what that comment meant), and i agree with everyone the 3 bikes you are looking at are so close to each other performance wise that it boils down to your comfort level on each of them and maybe even the colours will help to narrow it down a little bit for you. For me the Gixxer's seem very narrow in the seat and to me it makes the bike feel smaller. Never been on a kawi though.

Best of luck in your search....let us know what you get....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i think annica is expressing what we as a community feel, in that learning to ride is the first step, and a 600 might not be the best.

that being said, i learned on 600's, and am still fine. partly due to some luck, mostly due to not being retarded.

ive ridden all of them, plus an r6 (2004) and gixxer 750, before i got the cbr, and chose the honda because of its stability through corners. rock f-in solid. (note: the 600rr i learned on belonged to a friend that was roughly the same size as me, and his suspension was dialed in, however, all the others were within 15 pounds of me).

i dunno how much you believe in magazine write-ups, but motorcyclist magazine just did an article about all the mid-range bikes and the honda, which is older than most, if not all (i dont know about the kawi's) of the bikes still came in second, beat by the new triumph 675. it beat out the new r6, gixxer 600 and 750, etc.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
cbrdeju said:
i think annica is expressing what we as a community feel, in that learning to ride is the first step, and a 600 might not be the best.

that being said, i learned on 600's, and am still fine. partly due to some luck, mostly due to not being retarded.
That says it all right there. Learning to ride on a 600 is possible if you keep cool. I leanred how to ride on an 04 GSX-R 600, and 3 months later bought my 05 600RR. Comparing between the two I felt the 600RR was a better ride. Honestly when I went to the dealership the F4i felt the most comfortable but that was because I'm short and the F4i has a lower saddle height. The RR just handled so much better.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
if you reread his post he's looking for a USED 03-04 600cc sportbike not a new one as he only has 5500 quid to spend on a bike.

dude speed on bikes & cars is the same it's how you handle it that's what makes the difference & the dynamics are different for bikes & cars, if you have zero experience with a motorcycle nobody here would recommend you a 600cc sportbike as a starter bike & that includes me, i went up the ladder as it really should, started from the bottom (50cc) & worked my way up through 80cc, 125cc, 250cc, 400cc before i had my first real sportbike which is an '03 CBR600RR.

like you i was a car guy but i got tired of cars so switched to bikes & i get more fun & kicks riding bikes in the track than cars ever will, if you're hell bent on getting a sportbike we won't stop you just keep your head together & avoid doing stupid stuff & take the MSF course until you pass, call it your rite of passage into the world of motorcycles.

btw set aside $'s for helmet, armored jacket, gloves, armored riding pants & boots, protect your body at all times when going out for a ride, don't be like a squid.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
+1. I think from your initial post, it "sounded" like you've never ridden before. As such, it is highly recommended that you choose another bike to "learn" on before hopping onto one of the machines you've listed. Not that $5000 can get you any one of those machines with money to buy the proper gear!

And trust me, "not being retarded" (as much as I hate that word) isn't what's going to keep you alive on a 600. It just takes ONE stupid cager for you attempt to avoid by inadvertantly blipping the throttle too much and tossing yourself off your ride.

Learning on a smaller bike will help you learn throttle control as well as evasive maneuvering so that when such occassions occur, if and when, you move onto a larger bike, you'll be able to PROPERLY negotiate those events.

AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE, the Honda is the most user friendly. It's more stable and ergonomically might be more comfortable. Don't bother with the 6RR unless you're tracking. And if you are a pre-novice, I wouldn't go with the Gixxer as my experience is the throttle is very touchy.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I think this may have been posted already but make sure you take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, or something simaliar. Need to learn the basics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, you guys are really giving good info!

I have ridden dirt bikes before, mopeds, etc. But of course I have never been on a sportbike. Having no issue on those bikes I feel comfortable starting on a 600. I am thinking very safe and I would take the courses, etc. to learn the bike. THere is no way I would just hop on it and cruise around. Actually I plan to buy a 600 and will probably ride around my apartment parking lot till I got the controls and feel for the bike.

With the bikes I had mentioned I am actually only going to consider 600rr or GSX-R. Both bikes seem to be very well built and get good reviews. I looked up the MSRP on 04 GSXR's and they are around $5,900. The 03 CBR's are around the same. I really don't want to buy a brand new bike just knowing I have a higher risk of dropping it in a parking lot or something. I am looking for a bike in good shape with maybe a few scratches.

They offer a course at a tech school around here that I can actually use there motorcycles. So I plan on taking that when I get my bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
also note I am aware this will be biased towards the 600rr.

I am not looking to race the bike, just enjoy a two wheeled machine around my area since I have moved from Ohio to SC. I don't know if I set the wrong impression on my first post, but I am not a young punk who will do wheelies and endos and such. I honestly just want to enjoy being on a bike when its nice outside and just having the power if need be.

My car is turning out to be to expensive at the moment so I will just cruise around on the bike whenever possible.

I will have to make it up to a dealership sometime soon to see which one I like. Styling wise I like both the Gixxer and CBR. I am definelty gonna have to keep saving!

·
Registered
162 Posts
redlinr said:
also note I am aware this will be biased towards the 600rr.

I am not looking to race the bike, just enjoy a two wheeled machine around my area since I have moved from Ohio to SC. I don't know if I set the wrong impression on my first post, but I am not a young punk who will do wheelies and endos and such. I honestly just want to enjoy being on a bike when its nice outside and just having the power if need be.

My car is turning out to be to expensive at the moment so I will just cruise around on the bike whenever possible.

I will have to make it up to a dealership sometime soon to see which one I like. Styling wise I like both the Gixxer and CBR. I am definelty gonna have to keep saving!
Both the Gixxer and 600rr are very nice bikes. I would advise you to get some frame sliders if you're worried about dropping it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
304 Posts
redlinr said:
Well I am new to motorcycles, but not to speed. I currently own a 05 STi and am looking to let her sit a little while and get a sportbike. Now I know that most the bikes are so similiar in performance, but I am trying to figure out what I should be looking for. A fellow co-worker of mine who is an avid bike rider told me Honda's are the best handling bikes.

Anyway I am looking to spend $5,500 and wanted to see if that limits me to anything in particular? I like three bikes, 600rr, GSX-R 600, and ZX6RR.

Just trying to get some experienced riders opinions on my choices so I don't go into this decision to blind. I am thinking 03-04 on all those bikes.

Thanks in advance guys
UMMM may I suggest a 600RR?? UMMMM I hear its a pretty cool bike.....ummm it looks cool too. But dont take my word for it. :love10:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts