Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started a new job a few weeks ago. Just around the corner from work is the local CHP office, so I have to pass it everyday, 4 times a day. No big deal I thought, as long as I stay off the throttle.
Today after returning from lunch just as I am preparing to turn into the driveway, I hear a siren blip...It's our friendly neighborhood CHIP. He was sitting in his cruiser in the CHP parking lot and I guess he didn't have any drunk drivers or cagers to pull over, so he decided to get me.
Fine business if I were speeding or some other moving violation but all he could do is rag about how my turn sigs were not DOT and my front running light was not DOT, blah, blah, blah. Didn't say crap all about my exhaust.
He gave me a stearn warning and told me that if he saw me after 30 days and the lights were not up to DOT he was going to write me up and all that fun stuff. WHAT A ****!
Oh well, I'll have to try the back way into work. He'll have to catch me first. I'm not changing jack. That feels better, just had to rant. Anyone else in Cali gotten hasled for fix it stuff?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I got hit on palomar.

"licence plate unreadable, no red reflector in the rear"

i flipped my plate down in front of him, and he still wrote me up for the reflector so I stuck some red reflective tape from work on the back of my pass pegs to make chips happy.

Yesterday I nearly got slammed for speeding but we got the **** away.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's right. Quota's. They should be out getting donuts!

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, stupid newbie questions... (you've been warned)

What would it take to get some of the flush-mounts DOT-approved?
Would it be possible to get just a particular bike setup approved by going to the DMV?
What regulations are we breaking exactly?

Notice how I sneaked myself into the group by using 'we' even though I haven't yet made the mod? ;-)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt the DOT would approve any flush mounts. Also I beleive the sigs have to be a certain distance apart from each other. I'd have to look it up to be sure. The CHiP also gave me a ration about my front running light. Its been replaced by an LED but he said purple (blacklight or whatever) was not legal and neither was my integrated tail light. And didn't I read on the package about not being DOT approved? I just played dumb.
He asked me why I made the changes. I felt like Beavis, "AH....cuz they looked cool."
He was just jealous because his ol' lady wouldn't let him buy one and he was stuck driving around in his patrol car instead of riding a finely tuned racing machine on such a fine sunny day.
He had his chance to write me up. As long as I can stay away from this fine officer of the law it will be catch me if you can. Until then I'm not changing a thing except my route to work.
I hope eveyone out there can stay away from these "Chicken$hite" tickets.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
they have to be spaced 12" apart, and be 3" in diameter. ( I think, may be wrong though)
I personally would keep the stock lights, why put yourself in danger of being rear ended because a cager couldn't see your turn signal.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
airbox said:
Geez is CA really that bad?
yes it can be in certain places.

BlueShift said:
OK, stupid newbie questions... (you've been warned)

What would it take to get some of the flush-mounts DOT-approved?
Would it be possible to get just a particular bike setup approved by going to the DMV?
What regulations are we breaking exactly?

Notice how I sneaked myself into the group by using 'we' even though I haven't yet made the mod? ;-)
no way bro....plain and simple....gonna have to leave it stock if you dont wanna take the risk of being "hassled or pulled over".
i have aftermarket rear turn sigs, exhuast and f/e without plate light. ive had a cop follow me at night couple times and not get pulled over. but its at nite and im wearing my reflective vest....so they already know that im military and that kinda eases it up a little.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My last ticket was handed to me by a CHP. He was professional at least. Actually he was very cool. Clocked me at 95 but wrote me for 75 in a 55. Did the online traffic school thing, no big deal other than the costs. Not once did he bring up anything installed on my bike except to say that it looked nice.
This guy today simply had nothing better to do than waste taxpayers money harassing me. Just his chance to be a D&%K. He should have just shut the heck up and wrote me a ticket. He may have another chance, he may not. Who knows? I'll do my best to avoid him. Till then, I just ordered and new Clear Alt integrated tail light, with smoke tint. He should like that.
Ride well, have fun but be safe......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too much GUBMENT!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well i don't really run but for example yesterday a cop "in a car" was shootin radar and i know i was goin over the speed limit can't b sure cuz i have new gearing but he flipped a bitch and proceeded after me seein a easy escape i gave it little more gas and split the cars at the next light and the one after that and no more cop. i don't believe i would run per say but when the opportunity persents its self i'll take it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Obviously non-DOT approved signals are more important than drunk drivers.

end sarcasm

Anyways, that cop was a jack-ass, and obviously had more important things to do, but you were an easy target.

C

·
0 Posts
This thread sucks the CHP's dong (because you actually gave them a lame reason to pull you over.) They can't rape me (I don't like talking to CHP officers about silly little infractions. I have beter stuff to do.)

My bike looks better than yours (even with all the DOT shitt on it.) :tongue11:

Bike A spent money on aftermarket turnsignals. Looks ok and still goes x fast.

Bike B spent money on other aftermarket parts and clear DOT turnsignal lenses w/ amber bulbs. Looks much better than bike A and still goes x fast.

Bike A constantly gets pulled over by PoPo.

Bike B rides by bike A and waves before tearing it up in the twisties.

Advantage= Bike B

When will you guys learn?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Glad I live on the East Coast. I have hotbodies on the front, CA tail light in the back, no reflectors at all on the bike, no plate light. I think the plate light gets ignored since my plate is right out in the open and not under the tail. It likely catches all the light from the headlights behind me so they can't tell.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts