Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else feel marked? I have been pulled over twice in 3 days. Once on Sunday coming home from a Malibu ride for plate location and Blinkers (said they were not visible). Then got pulled over on Tuesday morning coming into work for an illegal lane change (said I didn't signal when changing). Yes, I should have signaled, but it was 4 AM and there NOBODY around. If I was in my V8 cage wasting gas I wouldn't have been pulled over for that.

Ended up with 1 fix-it ticket. My opinion is, if 1 in 3 riders are not properly licensed they are looking for anything and everything to pull us over.

Getting bad in other states too?

Check out the article...(I'm sure some of you have seen it)
http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_10184228

·
Registered
810 Posts
AOnce on Sunday coming home from a Malibu ride for plate location and Blinkers (said they were not visible). Then got pulled over on Tuesday morning coming into work for an illegal lane change (said I didn't signal when changing). Yes, I should have signaled, but it was 4 AM and there NOBODY around.
Ended up with 1 fix-it ticket.
So,
after getting pulled on the Sunday for plate location & indicators (i assume you have a FE, non standard indicators, & have moved the plate where it is LESS visible).
& then on Tuesday you make an ilegal lane change in eyesight of a cop

- you think you're being marked....

I'd suggest that especially after the new Florida law that has just been passed you got away with it lightly.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So,
after getting pulled on the Sunday for plate location & indicators (i assume you have a FE, non standard indicators, & have moved the plate where it is LESS visible).
& then on Tuesday you make an ilegal lane change in eyesight of a cop

- you think you're being marked....

I'd suggest that especially after the new Florida law that has just been passed you got away with it lightly.
The plate is under the fuse box..where many people have them. I already got the ticket signed off. The plate is visible and the blinkers can be seen from 300 ft. I didn't make any corrections...just showed a local officer.

The lane change was done at 4 AM (still dark) and the CHP was posted on the on-ramp. Yes, I think bikes are marked...question: would a cager get pulled over that at 4 AM?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Stop breaking the law ==> stop getting tickets!

Just because lots of other people have their bike (license plate, blinkers, etc) modified the same way as yours doesn't mean it's legal. So if you want to stop getting pulled over either do your homework on your mods or leave it stock.

And, it's always the cager you didn't see that kills you, so don't think that just because you can't see anyone, you shouldn't bother with your blinker. It's not like it's hard to use the blinker. :/

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are bikers being targeted, sure they are! You can thank your fellow riders who routinely run from the cops as part of the reason.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The plate is under the fuse box..where many people have them. I already got the ticket signed off. The plate is visible and the blinkers can be seen from 300 ft. I didn't make any corrections...just showed a local officer.

Let me ask you then:
If your bike was standard would you have got a Fix-it ticket or even stopped?

The lane change was done at 4 AM (still dark) and the CHP was posted on the on-ramp.

If you hadn't 'broken the law' in front of a cop, would he have stopped you?

Yes, I think bikes are marked...question: would a cager get pulled over that at 4 AM.

It's possible. Cars get stopped all the time

·
Registered
810 Posts
Let me put it another way - How many people with standard bikes have got Fix-it tickets?

I'm with the cop's on this. Move your plate = get stopped.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
We just had the local police come on our post to give us tips to not get pulled over and not having loud exhaust was one of them. They said it helps us hear you speeding. Mainly I got mine cause I'm sick of people not hearing me when I'm right next to them.

Cops sometimes just look for reasons and sometimes we are just generally wrong.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you're not targeted, you're breaking the law? Since when was it a cops job to NOT pull someone over with illegal equipment. Most states--under fusebox is "hidden." especially since its probably slanted.

·
Registered
293 Posts
yeah man i dont know what to tell you... to be honesnt on one of my bikes i dont have a plate or rear blinkers and i was right in front of a cop yesterday and didnt get pulled over or anything....

·
Registered
46 Posts
We just had the local police come on our post to give us tips to not get pulled over and not having loud exhaust was one of them. They said it helps us hear you speeding. Mainly I got mine cause I'm sick of people not hearing me when I'm right next to them.

Cops sometimes just look for reasons and sometimes we are just generally wrong.
Just to inform you how sound works, at speed, even with a "loud" pipe, a person in a car may not hear you as the sound waves are directed backwards.

Ever been near a freeway and not hear it because of sound walls? The sound is redirected away and usually ends up elsewhere.

For example, I live up on a hill above a 4 lane highway. There is a park right next to it and below me that is very quiet. However, I can hear the cars going by plain as day up on the hill.

I especially hear loud bikes!!!

Loud pipes do not save anything, they just give the public another reason to dislike us.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think most of you guys are missing the point. I'm simply stating that bikes are being pulled over for bogus reasons. Did I "technically" break the law by not signaling? Yes. But half of you guys replying live in glass houses and are throwing stones. Again, my point is not that I shouldn't have been pulled over, but that I wouldn't have been pulled over if I had been in my truck/car.....that's all. I have been riding for 20 yrs, never seen so many bikes pulled over before......

My mods are not illegal. My fix-it ticket was for VC 5201 and 24952. Again, got the ticket signed off without making any corrections.

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
it shall be attached to the rear
thereof, unless the license plate is
issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Does not state to the "most" rear, only to the rear which my plate is.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the
vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from
swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible,
and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.
The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor
more than 60 inches from the ground
My plate is clearly visible...period. Not bent upwards so you can't see it, not breaking the law in any form. (Now if I was like the riding dirty guy you might not see it)

24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and
understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of
at least 300 feet
to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that
turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with
clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during
such times.
My signals are visible from this distance of 300 ft. and was verified by the signing officer.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh&codebody=

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Targeted

:bitch_pleOf course we get targeted bro. Doesnt matter whether your being legit. Cops make points to pull us over to let us know they are there...totally **** moves I agree. Mostly they are pissed about the fact we HAVE the option to run AND we actually have a chance of getting away from them...(personally I have too much to lose in my life over a ticket so I dont bother running...) Actually I have been really lucky on my red/black 06 with a Two Brothers slip on (loud) and I havnt been followed much...then again I dont leave much time for them to find me if they think about following..:bootyshak

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sandman27,

No, you did not get pulled over for a bogus reason.

1st. ALL FE eliminator kits that relocate the number plate open you up to getting stoped. The is where interpretation of the law comes in & if you want to avoid this hassle, then don't move your plate from the standard position.

2. You changed lanes without indicating in front of CHP.

Put yourself in their position.

A superbike with a hidden number plate, early hours, committing an offence (changing lanes with out signaling) right in front of them.....
I'd light you up just to see what else is wrong..

BTW, I try & avoid committing offences in front of the CHP but when I do & get stopped, I don't whine that they are all out to get me...

As far as I'm concerned CHP are after everyone who commits an offence but ESPECIALLY when in front of them.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just to inform you how sound works, at speed, even with a "loud" pipe, a person in a car may not hear you as the sound waves are directed backwards.

Ever been near a freeway and not hear it because of sound walls? The sound is redirected away and usually ends up elsewhere.

For example, I live up on a hill above a 4 lane highway. There is a park right next to it and below me that is very quiet. However, I can hear the cars going by plain as day up on the hill.

I especially hear loud bikes!!!

Loud pipes do not save anything, they just give the public another reason to dislike us.
yes and I understand how that all works but since I have put my pipe on people are not moving in my lane.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There was a recent grant, to CHP, in the Socal region, to target "motorists" whether your on a bike or car, to curb an unusual rise in motorcycle related fatalities this summer.

Due to high fuel prices, more people are buying motorcycles and using them as commuters and recreation. Needless to say, a lot of new riders on the road will lead to more accidents simply due to inexperience.

This is a temporary grant and it should dry up within this month. That being said, it doesn't mean anyone in particular is being targeted. It just means there were a lot more cops out there enforcing the laws and you just got caught.

·
Registered
159 Posts
May be your area, so far it seems kinda of lax where I live at. Haven't gotten hassled about my plate under the battery, intergrated taillight, not using blinker when changing lane, occasional speeding(10-15 over)... and so far I managed to do this all in front of cops without knowing and not getting pulled over. Maybe cops here are better or maybe not riding like a squid helps me out, who knows...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Honestly, I do think you were stopped for a reasonable issue, stupid but reasonable. Now I will agree with you that I believe bikers, specifically sportbikers (but thats a different argument as a whole) are being targeted. Why? Because there have been a couple of articles posted up stating that they will be ramping up enforcement on MC's.

So is it BS? I belive so, which is why i'm going to leave my bike exactly the way it came off the showroom floor, reflectors and all. I do not want to give them any reason to pull me over.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i got a fix-it for my plate too. bought the targa FE kit the next day to move the plate back to the most "rearward" position. will be going to the CHP to get it signed off tomorrow. personally, i think you're being a little baby, whining about this ****.

you broke the law, now you're mad that you got caught. retarded. if you want to break the law fine- but accept the risk too.

K

·
0 Posts
i hear stories all the time about people getting tiny tickets for being stupid drivers. improper lane changes, failure to signal, failure to stop, etc... these are little tickets, but they are moving violations, and that hurts more than just the ticket... and people know that.. 'least 'round here. i see people turning left only to end up in the far right lane ALL THE TIME. I can't wait to get hit, i'll make a HUGE stink of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts