Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently live in New Hampshire along the seacoast, so there aren't exactly a lot of open windy roads or tracks around here. For the most part, it is average city and town riding usually cruising around 35 - 45 mph and in some parts, frequent stop lights. I commute daily to work for 30 miles.

I have owned a ninja 250 as a starter bike for about a year, and can confidently say I am looking to upgrade to the 600cc class. I've been immediately drawn to Honda's great reputation, lighter bike, and overall features / aesthetics.

My biggest question is, are there any other riders who ride often in similar conditions? Would there be many drawbacks to getting the 600rr if unable to really open it up, or is it's racing feature more of an "option" rather than something that has to be used to make the bike comfortable. I have looked at the SV650 / Kawi 650r, and they simply are not as appealing to me at the given moment.

Thank you in advance for any input!

·
Registered
76 Posts
i live in worcester ma. i love riding it in the city. it doesnt bother me and cant really any bike being better than another for the stop and go. i love it. your not to far from nice country roads either .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live in the Los Angeles/Orange County area and I commute every day. I feel the 600rr is a little too much power for the streets. At least when comparing it to my old F4i. Not that I can't handle it, it's just some unnecessary power for street riding imo. A lot of lights/stops won't help it either.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honestly, it really is too much for what you are doing. Yeah, it's a badass bike and it could do what you ask but you would have way more fun on something like a SV650 or a Ninja650. On the CBR you would be running it at like 4k in 3rd gear most of the time and it would get really hot and the riding position would get uncomfortable.

The two 650's would have the exact same power if not more at those speeds, still look badass and be twice as comfortable. Not to mention less insurance cost as well.

If you could find a way to take your bike out on weekends to twisties I'd say suffer the CBR for the commute and then enjoy the benefits on weekends. If you don't have that option go for the SV first or if you can't find a good deal on one get the Ninja.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^ ???...

I ride / commute often and ride in 2nd gear... when I feel like feeling her purr and open up, I let a large enough distance get in between the car in front of me and myself, and quickly twist down the throttle. Once I catch up from the GForce (LOL<?) I release the throttle allowing the bike to slow me down way before I catch up. Ridicule me, sure, but I enjoy my RR in the city, on the interstate, on the backroads...

My 0.02.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've moved over to a 2009 CBR600RR C-ABS from a 2003 SV650S-K3.

I love the CBR and for the riding I do (weekend rides to places where there are winding mountain roads) the CBR is the better bike. But if I had to choose between the two for commuting I'd take the SV650S. Reasons:
* SV is a v-twin and has loads of torque at very low revs. This is very useful riding in traffic.
* SV has wider spaced gears and a much lower first gear. Together with the low-end torque, it's way nicer when you're crawling along in slow-moving traffic. Comparing the two together, taking off on the CBR in heavy traffic in first gear is like taking off in second gear on the SV. Needs more revs, more skill/attention needed to do a smooth take-off, and easier to stall when you're taking off uphill.
* I found the SV is lighter on fuel in commuting, and can be run on lower octane fuel (so cheaper to run as a commuter)
* SV is still a really, really fun bike to ride

Anyway, that's just my humble opinion having owned both bikes and ridden both in various conditions.

Of course the ideal approach would be to buy both bikes and have the SV for the daily driver and the CBR for the weekend fun bike. ;-)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
sv's and the like would be much more comfortable for you and are more then capable in the tight stuff...see a number of them at trackdays and they do pretty well

·
Registered
195 Posts
ive owned and rode a SV650S SV650N and 2008 CBR600rr.

the SV650N is best for commute but it can also do the twistys when you want to,.
it is more upright, more comfortable for city riding hands down.

the SV650S uses clipon bars almost like sportsbike. so it has a more sportlike seating. didnt like it. sportsbike look but no high end.

for me i love the CBR600rr but only on no traffic open rodes. riding in bumper to bumper traffic sucks with this bike.

ill go with a SV650n not the S version.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I dont mind city riding at all, i love any excuse to get on my cbr, expect when its 120 outside, then not so much haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
I commute daily and most of my ride is on highway, and I do about 5-10 minutes of city riding in a downtown area. I have been thinking about getting a fan switch to cut the fans on earlier while sitting at a light or in traffic. You could get some clip ons to adjust your arm angle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I mainly commute on my 09 ABS and love it. 90% of my riding is in town in heavy traffic. I've had a bunch of bikes over the last 25 years, and my favorite commuter out of all of them is the CBR. I ride rain or shine, and a torquey motor can be a detriment on a wet slick road. I use a tank bag and a tailbag to hold my stuff. I ride pretty conservatively and get high 40's for gas mileage for commuting. Pleasure rides get less, I push the bike a lot harder when out for a joy ride. If you enjoy sport bikes, you'll like it as a commuter. It's light, quick, stops on a dime, and handles like a dream.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I commute daily and most of my ride is on highway, and I do about 5-10 minutes of city riding in a downtown area. I have been thinking about getting a fan switch to cut the fans on earlier while sitting at a light or in traffic. You could get some clip ons to adjust your arm angle.
^^^^^+1 on everything quoted!! As mentioned only downside is the fan kickin' in when the bike hits 220 degrees....Other than that, lovin' it!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I drive to work everyday, stop lights and stop signs suck, but you get a little chance here and there to open it,

here check out a vid,

the 6RR is a blast to ride, you will get a chance here and there to open her up, but she will be caged most of the time, if you can handle the position, and keep your throttle in check I would say get it,

it was only my fifth time riding, so please critique, feedback would be helpful,

thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The shift between 1st N 2nd seems pretty sloppy in that vid, does your chain need tightened up? And did you find your key fob?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I ride motorcycles for recreational purposes only not for commute.

However, I still can give you input.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you to buy a 600RR for your daily commute because according to you: "For the most part, it is average city and town riding usually cruising around 35 - 45 mph and in some parts, frequent stop lights. I commute daily to work for 30 miles."

A 600RR would be too much power wasted for that kind of speed.

How about Ninja 500R? Don't underestimate the power of Ninja 500R. I have seen several Ninja 500R's smoked sport bikes (including CBR600RR) in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The shift between 1st N 2nd seems pretty sloppy in that vid, does your chain need tightened up? And did you find your key fob?

No offense at all, I posted it so I could get some feedback, you know what man I have been wondering the same thing myself, I am going to clean and lube it this weekend and check the slack,

I have other vids, if you can let me know if it is consistently sloppy, :)

thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Yeah shifts are not what they are suppose to be. Mine are def. way smoother than that.. Its all on the rider. No offense suuscbr

Do you think its cause I am shifting in the low RPMs? When I shift around 8-9 its way better, I just dont do that as often since the bike wants to shoot out,

YES!!!! I found my key fob, it attached itself to the strap to my laptop charger,

I was also sad shifting, hahaha

1 - 20 of 34 Posts