Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I contacted Puig directly and straight from the horses mouth:

"The problem is when the sunrays hit the screen on the interior part. Then,
it gets reflected to the gauges and provokes a melting.

That usually happens when the sun runs low (winter time).

If the sunrays hit the windscreen on the exterior side of the screen, then
no problem.

Depending on what bike you have, you might need to worry about it.

Thank you for your interest.

Motoplastic , S.A."

So ultimately, face your bike into the sun, if you own a Puig at least. I also saw some posts a while back about laying a cloth down over your gauges. Im not sure I would try that. It might set the cloth on fire. What I do is take a helmet sack, pull it down over the windscreen and pull the drawcord around your mirror. That way the rays never even get to the screen and it wont blow off in the wind.

Hope this saves some gauges!

BTW, I put this in general discussion since it doesnt just apply to any particular year model.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah sorry if I created a topic that may have been addressed to an extent. After getting into a thread earlier that had a whole lot of theories/opinions I decided to go ahead and make a thread to let everyone know what the guys at Puig said. Just looking out for everyone!

·
Registered
117 Posts
thats not true. at least for me.

I know nearly the exact time when my guages melted on my 05 with a Puig DB.

I came home from a ride about 1pm and parked my bike in the driveway facing west. around 5pm when i went back to my bike the guages were melted.

the sun was facing the front of my bike the entire time it was sitting there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
go back to stock, I rock it and park it outside work since spring and no melting parked facing,away,sideways to sun.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Son of a ......

I knew what melted my gauges..but I thought it was a FLuke....I didnt realize it was a widespread issue....I'll be a son of a .......

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
thats not true. at least for me.

I know nearly the exact time when my guages melted on my 05 with a Puig DB.

I came home from a ride about 1pm and parked my bike in the driveway facing west. around 5pm when i went back to my bike the guages were melted.

the sun was facing the front of my bike the entire time it was sitting there.

that was actually from one of you neighbors who hates you and your bike.
I saw them holding a magnifying glass to it

I SEEN IT!

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you wear an UA skull cap or bandanna under your helmet, try using it to cover your gauge cluster when you park your bike.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
when im riding i have to lower my head to see if my signal ect...is on (im 6.1), so i thought id get a double bubble so i can see the whole dash without leaning a bit but less than a minute after i installed the db i took it right back off, db changes the whole look of the front which i absolutely didnt like at all....

so now i have two reasons to not like the double bubble!!

K

·
0 Posts
it's very minor. some are more finiky about it than others i suppose. i look at my bike like i look at most ATVs. there to be used, and abused. breaking things are no big deal.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
it's very minor. some are more finiky about it than others i suppose. i look at my bike like i look at most ATVs. there to be used, and abused. breaking things are no big deal.
yea... break'n/wear'n out stuff while ride'n it is one thing (i mean you did buy it to ride), but something like that happening from just sitting around parked would piss me off!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts