Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode motorcycles for my first 3 years with no M1 license with no problem until I was pulled over and the cop said he would wait 1 week until he filed it. If I got my permit he would throw it out. so I did the permit test and let the year expire...Twice... Now I have decided to brave the hour long lines and get my M1.. (Sorry for the long story, sharing some history)

Question: Take the class or do the DMV test. Opinions? Benefits?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Take an MSF class. You are bound to learn something or a new technique that could save your life someday. If you just take the DMV test, you've only shown you can do a figure 8. Whoppdie do. You wont regret the class.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Take the MSF class bro. It'll set you back $250 but it's easy. The DMV test is not so easy doing those figure 8's on a RR. I tried practicing when the DMV was closed and it wasn't happening.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The DMV test was EASY (in MD anyways), but I still recommend taking the MSF class. As others have said, it doesn't just teach you how to ride and the knowledge gained could possibly save your life someday.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
In my MSF there was a guy who has been in a real motorcycle gang for years, and rode bike even longer. He learned a bunch of stuff on the course like counter steering and some other things.

Funny comment he made was that the next time a bunch of his crew gets pulled over he will be the only one not getting a ticket for being un-licensed. Also he buddies would make fun of him for it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The DMV test was EASY (in MD anyways), but I still recommend taking the MSF class. As others have said, it doesn't just teach you how to ride and the knowledge gained could possibly save your life someday.
:+1:

Also you will probably get an insurance discount. I figured it would be a better investment of my time to learn from someone who wanted me to succeed instead of trying to prove myself to someone who was waiting for me to fail. That and I pretty much hate dealing with the DMV.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Take the MSF class bro. It'll set you back $250 but it's easy. The DMV test is not so easy doing those figure 8's on a RR. I tried practicing when the DMV was closed and it wasn't happening.
I agree, those figure 8's arent so easy at all. I am taking the class now because it really was embarrasing taking the test in front of three gangster mexicans and a chick at the DMV back in september.They were with baggy pants and big ass t-shirts with a coke girl. All were standing outside smirking at me when I was in my bike and I failed the test. In the end, they were all laughing at me, which lowered my self esteem.

Lesson learned: take the class, it will pay you back anyways with all those insurance savings!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I rode motorcycles for my first 3 years with no M1 license with no problem until I was pulled over and the cop said he would wait 1 week until he filed it. If I got my permit he would throw it out. so I did the permit test and let the year expire...Twice... Now I have decided to brave the hour long lines and get my M1.. (Sorry for the long story, sharing some history)

Question: Take the class or do the DMV test. Opinions? Benefits?
I can't believe you would ride without your M1 endorsement. Totally irresponsible. As for your options, I would take the MSF, as you will learn a lot of street skills you would not have acquired just taking the DMV test.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I can't believe you would ride without your M1 endorsement. Totally irresponsible. As for your options, I would take the MSF, as you will learn a lot of street skills you would not have acquired just taking the DMV test.
It is not irresponsible, it is called lazyyyyyy.

:book:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
If you ride frequently, why didn't get you get a license? With just a permit, isn't it illegal to ride at night, with a passenger or on the freeway?

If you actually have to insure a moto I would take MSF. Either way get a license. At least you have an aptly named user name. :p

A

·
0 Posts

that is not irresponsible... many people here in nc ride with just a permit, because the only difference is with the permit you cant have a passanger, thats it.. i ride right now with just a permit because i dont want anyone riding with me... and i use that as my excuse, so i dont get some dumb ass chick arguing with me on why i wont take her.. that, and i dont have two helmets... there that cuts everything out...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Take the class it will waive your dmv riding test. After you finish all you do is go in if you haven't already take a permit test and if you have it just show them you took the class and bam you got yourself your M1.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I agree, those figure 8's arent so easy at all. I am taking the class now because it really was embarrasing taking the test in front of three gangster mexicans and a chick at the DMV back in september.They were with baggy pants and big ass t-shirts with a coke girl. All were standing outside smirking at me when I was in my bike and I failed the test. In the end, they were all laughing at me, which lowered my self esteem.

Lesson learned: take the class, it will pay you back anyways with all those insurance savings!
:crackup:This is the funniest story i've heard in a while! fcuking mexicans....ROTF

To the OP, since you seem to be lazy as pointed out already, i'd just go practice a few times and take the test.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took the class because, like most people are saying, I was told there was no way my bike could do that figure eight. The class is truly a pass or fail. You could miss 21 out of 22 points on the skills test to pass the MSF class I took. There were people who had 19 and 20 points. One of those guys even dropped his bike the day before. I missed 7 points for not enough corner speed and putting my bike into neutral after an emergency stop. Still, got my license with no questions asked.

Easy. I mean, the bikes were 200's.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
yea you SHOULD take the class....i never did it seemed to be too much trouble---wrong time or filled up.

I BARELY passed the dmv test on a 03 R6 here in ohio, the cones are what got me. My buddy passed on the 600rr pretty well.

we both did really well on the quick stop tho LOL

best thing to do is find someone with a scooter lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts