Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
When I move my bike around I have this light thudding sound which I'm guessing is the chain hitting something..

I'm guessing its a bit caked with chain lube so I took off my fairing to clean the inner sprocket but jeez... its behind two coolant pipes and more.. is it that inaccessible? I flushed my coolant last year and didnt get the memo that its a good time to clean your sprocket!

Can you please have a squiz at this video to hear the sound and tell me if its normal or what.. I forgot to check the chain slack today but it was fine last time i checked, i haven't had to tighten it since owning the bike ~8000km ago

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing the chain go round but it sounds loose to me. It's unlikely to have anything to do with the front sprocket. Definitely not because of crud build up. Slight possibility that a rock got wedged up there and the chain is scraping against it.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
A good cleaning and a re-tensioning may be all you need.

You can remove front sprocket cover and clean out gunk, the coolant hoses have enough flex to loosen bolts and wiggle the cover off and out.
But......How many KM on that chain?
And....Condition of sprockets?
After a good cleanup, with chain adjusted to correct slack/tension, if you've got links that jump as they leave sprockets....
You may want to replace it.
ALWAYS use a rivet style master link, clips don't work well on these bikes...IMHO+experience.
Search OTF for chain and sprocket threads, there's a wealth of info....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, Unsure on the history of the chain but it looks to be in good condition same with the sprockets. I'll re-measure the chain play with a bit more accuracy and give it some adjustment if it does need, hopefully that's the issue. thanks for the tip about wedging the cover out too I'll do that next service to get the gunk out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.