Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend was cleaning our garage out the other day and pulled our bikes out into the driveway. When she pulled them in, she started mine(it hasen't been started in 2 weeks and it's been really cold) pulled it in and shut it right off. I told her never to do that agian because it can foul the plugs very easily. Well I go to start it yesterday, and guess what! Fouled pluggs!!!! ARRRGGG!! Anyways I took them out (they are deffinatly fouled) and was wondering if I should just brush them off and re-install or buy new ones? Anyone have any experience with trying to clean iridium plugs?? Sucks cause there like 30 bucks a pice.

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cleaned em up with a wire brush and put them back in. Everything seems to be OK. Just hope I don't have any problems later on down the road.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was very careful cleaning them with a fine wire brush. Bike only has 1800mi hopefuly it will be OK. If I have any problems later on I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
i just blow compressed air on the plugs & put the tip on an electric stove to dry them out it works most of time for me (although i haven't fouled up my plugs yet, must be the weather).

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
Ferris said:
$30 a piece, and I thought the ones in my 929 were expensive.
$30 for a sparkplug?! that's murder dude you should buy plugs somewhere else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK man... just being honest here... I don't believe you have fouled plugs. Especially not from your girlfriend driving in/out of the garage. Especially not with 1800mi, unless you've been doing the same thing as your girlfriend for a couple years, every day starting it up and then shutting down early in the cold. It takes a lot of time and buildup to actually foul your plugs. Have you changed your oil yet? (should be a stupid question)

Don't worry about cleaning them, whoever told you not to is an idiot. You can clean your plugs no problem.

If you can get your bike started, go out and ride the hell out of it when it gets warm enough. That works just great for getting the plugs clean.

gearheadRR said:
I was very careful cleaning them with a fine wire brush. Bike only has 1800mi hopefuly it will be OK. If I have any problems later on I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
drmikegallant said:
Don't worry about cleaning them, whoever told you not to is an idiot. You can clean your plugs no problem.
If you want to talk sh!t go back over to .com. They love asshats like you over there. IF you have something that actually supports your opinion we'd love to hear/see it. Otherwise, take your Jr. High bullsh!t somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yup that's the same page I read in my owners manual. Since mine were fouled up for sitting for a year while I was gone, and only started a few times and shut back off. I did clean mine anyway, though I know I was not supposed to.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
You live in CA and probably use it all the time, I am in NY. I was in Iraq for 13 months then came home to winter, so the bike wasn't started for almost a year and a half. When I got home it started a few times, I let it run for a few minutes, then it just stopped running. We have completely different circumstances.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
those plugs don't go bad like that. maybe with an old oil burning carbureted engine.
only thing i would suggest if its been sitting a while, start it with full open throttle untill it starts. running it will "clean" the plugs

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
powerranger said:
those plugs don't go bad like that. maybe with an old oil burning carbureted engine.
only thing i would suggest if its been sitting a while, start it with full open throttle untill it starts. running it will "clean" the plugs
That's true IF the plug gets up to it's "self-cleaning" temp.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
drmikegallant said:
It takes a lot of time and buildup to actually foul your plugs.
:bs:

have you ever ridden a 2 stroke or a high strung 4 stroke dirtbike or 4 wheeler (or a 600RR with 8 injectors)? apparently not because then you would know that a single bad start or other mistake can take care of a set of spark plugs faster than you can blink an eye. also, i wouldnt join a site and be a junior member and talk smack to all of the members who have been here for a matter or years.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
funny though about the manual recommending using a wire type feeler gauge to check plug gap b'coz the tool kit on my CBR has a blade type feeler gauge with a thickness of 0.70mm, it seems Honda is contradicting it's own manual. LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts