Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've recently noticed my front end is clicking and wobbling at pretty much any speed, straight, turning, etc. I can't narrow it down to anywhere specific or find what triggers it. Steering column and bearings feel fine, etc.

Now I do have a leaking fork seal on one side that I recently noticed, that is being fixed next weekend when I get the parts. Being parked until then. The only theory I can come up with is one brake pad is slipping from fork fluid and the other isn't, putting uneven pressure on the disks and maybe causing them to shift against the rivets more noticeably? Or is it possible that my rotors had no play in them and now they do? I checked the rotors and they definitely do have back and forth play which I'm told is normal, but it is very frequent and I can feel it in the handle bars, never did this before. 2008 rr with close to 60k miles. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely get the fork seals replaced. Probably need to replace the brake pads due to the oil contamination. I would check the wheel bearings for the clicking/wobbling.
Oh yea I have all of those parts just waiting on seals to do it,was curious in the meantime if anything obvious typically causes this in case I don't see anything when I have it apart, are failed wheel bearings obvious when bad or just replace to diagnose?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yeah very easy:

• take front-wheel off,
  • remove axle.
  • Put finger in hole in bearing where axle went
  • spin bearing by hand.

Is it smooth with no play? Or is it rough and krunchy?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah very easy:

• take front-wheel off,
  • remove axle.
  • Put finger in hole in bearing where axle went
  • spin bearing by hand.

Is it smooth with no play? Or is it rough and krunchy?
Update,

I have resealed the forks, changed the pads, and checked the wheel bearing, no changes. It's much worse now. What it does is at low speed it's creaks and pops, worsened when turning. Something somewhere is binding. I was thinking forks but when it binds I can feel a very subtle slow down in momentum. I can't for the life of me duplicate any of this when not actually riding the bike. Forward momentum is the one thing that makes it happen.

I'm genuinely considering buying a parts bike with back end damage and just swapping out the entire front end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts