Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all i have a concern with a sound my bike is making it sounds like the valves clicking. I feel that way because i have an old jeep you can hear the valves clicking but its a woods buggy so i dont really give a **** about it.

I am not sure thats what i hear but it sounds that way. i cant hear it above say 4krpm but i think its just because there is just more noise to mask it. i cant tell if it gets more rapid as the revs increase or not.

I changed the oil today and it still does it, i dont know if its been doing it the whole time ive owned it or not. i have only had it a month and ive put 1000miles on it so it hasnt been long to know.

any ideas? should i have it looked at? is it normal?

thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam chain tensioner i think
is it a bad thing or its just someting you can hear.... not sure but i think its more prevelent on the left side... i think.

im hoping im just paranoid, which isnt outside of my nature.

·
Registered
714 Posts
youtube videos on the sound and compare to what you hear. i once thought i had a clicking sound problem but when i heard others peoples click it made mine seem way normal as it wasnt as loud or apparent. might be the case for you, might not.. but it could potentially be very bad for the engine in the future from what ive read.

·
Registered
760 Posts
How many miles does it have? could be your valves are just out of spec and need to be reshimed Or as stated above... the CCT. My noise was a result of a bad cct. and in all reality unless you have a microphone setup to specifically monitor noised you really cant rely to much on what you think you hear from either side of the motor, its such a small unit noises carry accross.

·
Registered
760 Posts
FWIW .. I am a freak when it comes to odd noises. If I hear anything I have to find out what it is. I dont even keep extra keys on my bike key because of the jingling makes me thing my bike is going to explode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok so, I have the same type of noise on my 09 and I couldn't find out what it was, I replaced my CCT with OEM one and oil change and the noise is still there. It only happens between 3-4 thousand rpm then goes away, insight on this issue for OP and myself would be much appriciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
760 Posts
Was the said noise the reason behind your choosing to replace the cct in the first place?

I would pull my case cover on your clutch side and prob the cam chain... see if its got slack in it.

Also another thing to consider is this .. did you replace the cct or did a shop? If you did it, did you ensure that when removing your old cct and installing the new one you had the "rod" locked into the collapsed position? if you didnt and removed/bolted it down there is a slight chance you could have stretched your cam chain. in either event after so much stretching a OEM CCT cant compensate for the diffrence therefore you could be hearing that extra little bit of slack at the optimal rpm range.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Also.. dont get too worried about this but ( in my experience with wrenching) odd noises that are produced over an entire rpm range tend to be something that needs to be re-spec'd or replaced.. noises that occure in set rpm ranges tend to be a little more serious. This has been an observation of mine through autos down to small mx bikes....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, yes the noise was the reason behind the CCT replacement and I followed the directions to the "T" of I think it was Nicos "how to" thread.

Also FYI I'm very knowledgable about cars and such, have been working and fixing cars for several years now, so as far as car noises and such I'm pretty knowledgable but bikes is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my bke is an 07 with 3200 mles. the previous owner only rode it 2200 miles from may 2007 through july 2 of 2012 which is when i bought it. he berely rode it at all in 2010 and 2011, he said he only took it out for 4 total short rides each of those years 2 each year. I have put 1000 in the month i have owned it but I am not sure if it was making the noise the entire time i didnt notice until the other day but now i always hear it because im listening for it. my friend who has an 08 rr couldnt hear it until he listened for it and even then had a hard time hearing it. im going to take it to the local bike shop and see if they have any insght.

the oil came out clean of shards or debris

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
It's the valves, No big deal. Lighter oils will make it make that sound. Try Mobil 1 15W 50, the sound goes away. **** oil like Royal Purple make the noise more noticeable on my bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i used gn4 u think thats it.... thats what the damn honda store gave me ill be kinda pissed if they sold me the wrong ****, but glad its not a major issue at the same time. the noise didnt start after the change i heard it prior to the oil change aswell

1 - 20 of 34 Posts