Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have searched and read a lot about aftermarket clip ons, but was unable to find answers to my questions. if i missed something, feel free to provide a link.

i trashed my sato clip-ons in a recent lowside at the track and need to replace them. i have zero rise, zero degree vortex clips on my street bike, which function just fine for me and have no clearance issues once i got them where i wanted them. the sato's on the track bike have ~1 inch rise, not sure about degree of angle(looks to be zero degree). the sato's used a three piece design, which i believe is what caused them to fail. the riser part had two pins that would go into holes in the fork tube clamp, then two cone head 6mm screws fasten the risers to the fork tube clamp. when the screws sheared off, the pins tore through the aluminum of the clamp. they are ruined. this has made me want to get away from the three piece design. in fact, i would not recommend the sato's at all. JMO

my main questions are :
1. what exactly does the rise do for me, and do i need the rise at all?
2. what are the pros/cons to zero degree vs. 7 degree angle?
3. do the 7 degree clip ons require risers to avoid contact with the fairings?
4. what do you track day addicts have/prefer on your track machine?

thanks guys and gals for any input

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so it's completely personal preference? i need to order a set asap and have no idea what to get. thanks nate!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn i wish i had a few sets to try out! but then i wouldn't be having this problem. haha

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For your year bike (03-06) it's all preference. The 07+ need a riser to clear the oem stay for full left to right.
sincal - do you have the 7 degree down angle then?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm runing the woodcrafts that have the same angle as stock. Only difference is that you can make them wider by moving the bar out which will also make them lower slightly.
have you had any other setups? just curious what you preferred. i know you are riding an 08, have you had any of the earlier models? oh and are your woodcrafts a 3 piece design? and if so, what do you think of them?

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Im running the Vortex no rise 7 degree down angle on my track bike. I love them, really comfortable for me and they are tough. I have crashed them twice pretty hard and only had to replace the bar which is only $15.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im running the Vortex no rise 7 degree down angle on my track bike. I love them, really comfortable for me and they are tough. I have crashed them twice pretty hard and only had to replace the bar which is only $15.
you are on the 05/06 right? did you have any clearance issues with the air duct covers?

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Yes Im on an 05. There are no real issues, my bars are extended all the way out and the right side barley touches the back of the air duct cover by the tank at full lock. But I am never really close to full lock so it doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
slim do you think that the 7 degree down and zero degree have any different effects on turning your bike? countersteering, etc?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
have you had any other setups? just curious what you preferred. i know you are riding an 08, have you had any of the earlier models? oh and are your woodcrafts a 3 piece design? and if so, what do you think of them?
Sorry, I've only ran the woodcrafts on my 08. Yes it is the three piece and I love them. Very comfortable and bar replacement is super easy along.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
slim do you think that the 7 degree down and zero degree have any different effects on turning your bike? countersteering, etc?
I cant compare them to anything but stock so I dont know. But for my riding style and body position I wouldnt change they for anything though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.