Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many members here don't trust the 'clip style master link.' Rightfully so, I had one installed on my new chain and after the first ride, I had noticed that the clip was no longer there.

I'm very fortunate that the link remained in place or major damage and injury could have occurred.

I immediately safety wired where the clip use to be to secure the link.

I will continue to use these master links, but instead of installing the clip I will safety wire it secure.

For those of you using 'clip on master links,' ditch the clip. They are just going to fall off and something catostrophic may occur.

Pictures:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldnt ride that like it is now.

i have gold rivet style master links in stock. i can ship one priority mail to ya, if you cant find one locally.
Hey Brad!

Why not? I used high tensile, extreme termperature resistant aircraft lockwire that is used on aircraft. (I work on planes)

The lockwire extremely tight and secure, I'm just as confident in this setup as I am in a rivet style master link.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I also used lockwire pliers that we use on the planes, they are hgih quality pliers that ensure the lockwire twists are evenly dispersed and tightly wound.

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't ride that either. There is a larger potential for failure with that safety wire then there is with the regular clip. Spare me the "this is the top **** safety wire" mumbo jumbo. I use the **** all the time on my race bike.

The problem with using the safety wire in that manner is that it's already stressed enough from the twisting. The amount of forces that will be put on that master link will transfer to the safety wire, which isn't grabbing onto it by anything that could be considered safe.

I wouldn't even trust that on a bicycle chain, and I've even gone as far as welding bicycles chains together when I had no spare link.

But, it's your bike and your engine. Don't say we didn't warn you when it snaps and rips a hole in your engine case.

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
without the safety wire going through holes it has potential to come off. even though you have the correct twists per inch and the correct "pigtail" it can still come loose because of all the movement it is potentially doing. i would order a rivet link and be done with it... btw i've always ran clip links on my dirtbikes and never had a problem with them coming off. always put them on the right direction with out too much stretching when installed and they always hold..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just get the rivet style master link from Lexusrx, you can buy a chain rivet tool from Harbor Freight for $15 and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Yep I had two clips disapear off the link on me. I will only use rivit from now on.

BTW I would not ride with the safety wire either

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would not ride the bike with the link safety wired as you have. You are asking for trouble.

Get the correct rivet type master link for your chain.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i use clip style link. no problems at all. wheelies and trackdays. still fine. been using 520 chains too.

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
bad idea. Safety wire is meant to be used to secure fasteners, not as a fastener, especially on a moving part.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I've never used the clip style master link on a bike but it would be convenient at the track when changing rear sprocket sizes. I used them for 10 years racing shifter karts and never ever had a problem, of course those things dont have 105+ HP so who knows. I think if it's installed correctly and you have the right amount of slack it would be fine. I will definitely try the clip-style on my next race chain. Even though rivet style seems safer let's face it, it's a pain in the ass.

Also, don't ride like that. It's WAY dangerous.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
very unsafe. Clip style master links are only about 70% as strong as the other links in the chain. Since you're chain is only as strong as it's weakest link it's a no brainer. The rivet style master links are the only connecting links that are 100% as strong as the other links on the chain. I would recommend using the rivet master links and doing it properly. If you've ever seen a chain fly off you wouldn't think twice about it...

·
Registered
159 Posts
A clip style master link is as strong as all the others, the only difference is the way that its kept in place. Rivet or clip. If you put the clip on correctly you should be ok.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Ive been using clip style master links for years and never had a problem (including my 600RR).
my current race organization requires the clip to be secured by either an adhesive or safety wire.
here is my preferred method of securing the clip, RTV.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts