Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a close call on monday during free practice/qualifying at Hockenheimring GP on monday for round 3 of Speer-Racings Regio Cup. Track temps were 57c (137.6F). Running Bridgestone R10s at 31F 28R. Rear was pretty worn and it was the first round with my new HRC quick action throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
OP meant closed call on Youtube account.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check it now! sorry dont know what happened, its good to go now

·
Registered
953 Posts
Damn that was a oh **** moment

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Both awesome saves. So the big question is: HOW did you both save it? Push the left clip-on while easing off the gas? Or continue throttle, but not as hard and let it self-correct? For most of us, we can watch these situations all day, but it's even better that we learn from them :shakehand

Wow, I had a very similar experience.

Pretty worn R10 rear. 31f/30r off warmers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EITUJNsDEI
Had a close call on monday during free practice/qualifying at Hockenheimring GP on monday for round 3 of Speer-Racings Regio Cup. Track temps were 57c (137.6F). Running Bridgestone R10s at 31F 28R. Rear was pretty worn and it was the first round with my new HRC quick action throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-L9pqloO0

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both awesome saves. So the big question is: HOW did you both save it? Push the left clip-on while easing off the gas? Or continue throttle, but not as hard and let it self-correct? For most of us, we can watch these situations all day, but it's even better that we learn from them :shakehand
I did it by not chopping the throttle. It may appear that I did in the video by how quick she came back around, but if you notice, I just rolled off slightly letting the rear tire catch back up and re align. If I had have slammed her closed you would have seen it snap back and kick way right. If I wasnt so deep in the corner I would have stayed on the power like usual, but being as deep into I was, things wouldnt have played out so well if I had have stayed on it. So just remember, typically speaking (situation dependent) never slam the throttle closed, either keep on her or only slightly let off.

Reactions: James Wong

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
OP. Great save as you didn't go down, (arm chair quarterbacking here so dont mind me) but do you feel it was entirely necessary to stand it all the way up and run off? I'm just curious cause we can't really see it from any other perspective. It looks like you could have gotten back on the throttle and carried out onto that straight (relatively) safely.

Wow, I had a very similar experience.

Pretty worn R10 rear. 31f/30r off warmers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EITUJNsDEI
This is a damn good save too!

Props to you both.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did it by not chopping the throttle. It may appear that I did in the video by how quick she came back around, but if you notice, I just rolled off slightly letting the rear tire catch back up and re align. If I had have slammed her closed you would have seen it snap back and kick way right. If I wasnt so deep in the corner I would have stayed on the power like usual, but being as deep into I was, things wouldnt have played out so well if I had have stayed on it. So just remember, typically speaking (situation dependent) never slam the throttle closed, either keep on her or only slightly let off.
This happened to me on my R1 at ACS (Turn 6) on worn Bridgestones. I just tried to keep my wits about me and rode it out, easing slightly off the throttle until the bike righted itself.

I understand that tires are made to slide at the limits of traction, and I think what causes riders to highside is attempting to compensate for a slide by cutting the throttle or turning the bars - when in reality the best thing to do is actually nothing (if anything, ease off the throttle slightly.)

(That was just my experience and what I learned from it, I don't claim to speak authoritatively on sliding through corners!)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OP. Great save as you didn't go down, (arm chair quarterbacking here so dont mind me) but do you feel it was entirely necessary to stand it all the way up and run off? I'm just curious cause we can't really see it from any other perspective. It looks like you could have gotten back on the throttle and carried out onto that straight (relatively) safely.

This is a damn good save too!

Props to you both.
You know, I have a totally different mind set than a lot of other people out there on the track.

I could have ridden it out you know, but one it was a training session, two I dont get paid to do this $h!t, and finally at no point in time when I am on that track, weather that be racing or training, is anything so important that I need to wad my $h!t up. Again I dont get paid to do this $h!t, I do it because I love doing it, but we all know how expensive it is to do this, and to be honest 99.9% of us on here will prob never make it to the level where we can throw bikes at the ground and not think twice about it hence the reason I pulled off the track, gathered myself, and then continued on about my day lol.!.!.!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
One thing I'll never do is tell someone they made a wrong decision in a situation like this, regardless of the outcome. The fact that you had mind enough to make a decision and not get tossed over your handlebars is more than enough.

It's when people don't do anything and give in to their survival reactions that mistakes happen.

Like I said before, great save.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts