Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long-ish, beware...

so my car has been on the fritz, so i've been commuting on my bike for the last 3 weeks or so. some close calls of course, but yesterday was the worst.

on highway 40/64 west of 94. 2 lanes each way, split w/ a grass median and no shoulder (well, 6 inches or so, then a drop off w/ trees and such).

a semi in front a ways moves over to the left lane, and hangs out there going the speed limit. semis = bad, so i approach carefully, and realize he's not coming back over, so prepare to pass on the right. i start to, and there's a van the semi is passing, so i decide not to push it. i coulda zipped through there, but i try to drive safe, so i drop back and pass the van and then move to pass on the right again. downshift and start passing. a little over halfway past the semi, thank god i was lookin, a rav4 gets on the highway right in front of the semi going wayyyyy to slow.

right when i saw it i knew it was bad, so i made a quick decision to gun it. i'm watchin my lane disapear, and lookin at the lug nuts spinnin like a meat grinder on the front wheel of the semi, and looking at the jagged shoulder of the highway as i'm riding the white line. i'm doin like 85-90 as i get out in frong of the semi, and i almost coulda reached out and touched that cab as i passed it.

after a brief moment of swearing and cursing, i held up for the rav4 to pass me. stupid b!tch on her hands free phone yappin away. she gave me a clueless look as i flicked her off. if i'd been a car, that semi woulda seen me, and she'd probably be dead right now, and she has no idea. whatever.

i think i made the right decision. i don't think i woulda made it braking. i'm glad i was maintaining awareness of the road and traffic around me. i coulda not passed the semi at all, but it still seems like an ok decision to have done so. i'm not mad at the semi driver at all. he came over about as slow as he possibly could've, especially considering how close she cut him off. i'm revising my formula however... now, semis = bad^2

my wife has been raggin on me for wanting to get on the track cause of the cost. she said i can ride whenever i want, so why drop all the money on leathers, etc. i told her yesterday she's just gotta deal w/ it. i'm done commuting on my bike. borrowed the mother-in-laws extra car. i'll still ride on the street, but not getting to and from work w/ all those idiot cagers. it's just not worth it.

all y'all be safe out there :-\

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
No offense to the ladies on here but I see way to many of y'all riding here in Alabama and I'm not talking about with hand free phones but with one hand on the wheel and the other holding the phone. This needs to be outlawed, if you don't have a hands free device pull the frick over!

·
Registered
278 Posts
ive kind of learned what your talking about. the first instance where you said you coulda made it but decided not to, those are the ones i dont hesitate to do becuase they are the ones that keep you out of the way and infront of the semi's etc. glad your ok. guess you coulda braked too but when your left with the decision, you have to decide and go.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
silveRRocket said:
No offense to the ladies on here but I see way to many of y'all riding here in Alabama and I'm not talking about with hand free phones but with one hand on the wheel and the other holding the phone. This needs to be outlawed, if you don't have a hands free device pull the frick over!
It is illegal in NY to use a cell phone while driving without using a hands free device.

BUT GUESS WHAT: Statistics show that the Hands Free are no safer than holding the phone. It's the conversation that is distracting, not holding a phone

I don't use my cell phone at all when driving because they are a distraction, but even with the laws, you still see them in use.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, i think men and women are equally bad. and i agree that it's the fact that your brain is w/ the conversation and not w/ the act of driving that makes it dangerous.

they should outlaw using them while driving, but there's no way that genie is goin back in the bottle...

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
ya know....

I don't think it's the conversation that is distracting, or even the phone.

I think it's the DRIVERS who ARE SO FREAKING INATTENTIVE that they get BORED while driving and thus NEED TO GET ON THE PHONE to keep themselves entertained. No doubt these people whould have been inattentive despite the cell phone use: fiddling with the radio, watching the clock, eating, doing makeup, daydreaming.

OR it's the people who are so freaking BUSY or STRESSED that they have to whip out the cell phone and get frantic on it to get things done. These people won't see you either: they'll be digging through their briefcase, making notes with a pen and paper, frantically looking for empty street parking in front of the dry cleaners to save a few minutes, or thinking about their grocery shopping or their kid's soccer schedules.

I think society needs to unwind a little bit. A little motorcycle awareness might help too.

Not all cell phone users are incompetant. I've been in cars WITH people who really just suck at things in general: the kinda people who aren't familiar with their phones or their stereo and have to look down to make things work. I also know alot of very quick people who can send text messages without looking, change the radio without taking their eyes off the road, and can guide their cars through the most intense Los Angeles traffic into a parallel parking spot without ever even getting nervous.

Like alot of things, it just depends on the people. I hate to say it, but alot of the older crowd just suck at using technology. You know, i"m sure you know a real estate agent or two or something that wanna look cool using a cell phone but gotta stop walking and stand still to flip through their phone book.

In any case, we can't change people, and there will always be more distractions other than cell phones, whether or not we pass legislation. So, lets just do our part and be attentive of other drivers--with particular emphasis on those that look distracted.

You simply can't legislate everything--and the more we try, the closer our society becomes like those on either end of the political spectrum: the communists (legislate all aspects of economy) and the fascists (legislates all aspects or morality). I'd rather not be either.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
lil' redneck girl said:
lmao. i hear ya. and i am guilty of it. but i have remembered how much i hate it when i ride, so unless someone is dying, i leave the phone until i am at home/work (btw, guys are just as guilty...)
This is true about guys. I guess I just notice girls more. I'm a guy and I'm not gay so go figure... LOL. Hey I'm fixing to come to Destin towards the end of this month on vacation so if you get your hair pulled just ignore it cause if you turn around you'll probably see a guy getting his Arse whipped by his wife for riding another womans @$$.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am glad you're ok.

I run into a situation where I have to do something to avoid being on the losing end of an accident pretty much everyday. Its something I expect because if I don't I am going to get hit one day. I commute and thats the risk I take, I would hate to commute in a bigger city the where I live. Again I am glad your ok and your head was straight to avoid getting hit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad to see the TS is okay after this close call.
I only fail to see the connection between the close call and the commuting.

This could also happen on a normal road trip.
I commute every day for about 16000 miles a year on the bike and the people commuting by either car or bike pretty much know what to expect in heavy traffic. (sure there's always the odd maniac being busy with everything but the traffic)
But the real idiots are the ones I run into during fun trips when you least expect them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ronnie D. said:
I only fail to see the connection between the close call and the commuting.

This could also happen on a normal road trip.
i dig what you're saying. in fact, when ppl ask me how i can ride cause it's so dangerous, i point out that ppl die in cars every day. but yea, i've logged over 3k miles since feb or march, and i've had some close calls on fun rides, short trips, and commutes.

there are 2 things about commuting that i think make it more dangerous than rec riding:

1) you are on the bike more, so from a stats perspective you're increasing the odds that something bad will happen, b/c you give it more opportunity to happen

2) when you are commuting you're on the road w/ every maniac cager out there who is rushing to get to/from work, worried about being late, distracted by problems at work, etc etc etc. those ppl are still out there when i ride for fun, but there's a lot less of them and i'm not on the highway w/ them.

i suppose you could counter point 1 by saying that riding more keeps you on edge and ready to react, and riding less makes you more vulnerable since you're not as used to it.

anyway if commuting is something you want to do, more power to you. i've got a wife and a kid and for me personally it's just not worth the risk. i barely enjoy riding while commuting b/c i'm always worrying about cars, and i figure i reduce the odds by giving that worst riding time up. i may still die on the bike, i have no illusions there, but i'm doin my best to avoid it...

·
Registered
141 Posts
dxh13 said:
there are 2 things about commuting that i think make it more dangerous than rec riding:
Actually, I can think of one more thing. When you commute, you tend to take the same route every time, and for some people that can make you complacent. Up here in the midwest where the only two seasons are winter and roadwork, this is particularly important since one day the road you are on is fine, and the next it is all tore up to sh*t with detours and patched holes, etc... Just my .02. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Do you have stock pipe still? Your chances of close calls will be cut in half if you put on a D&D. Don't let a close call be the reason you don't wanna ride your motorcycle on a commute. I commute to work on my bike every single day the weather allows. I suppose i'd be a little shaken up as well, but there is no way you should let some nitwit cager ruin your riding. If people can't talk on their cell phone and drive at the same time, that means their brain can't process information fast enough. Dummies

·
Registered
84 Posts
Adding insult to injury is the fact that the Rav4 lady had no idea why you flipped her off. The only thing she "learned" from the situation is that guys on sportbikes apparently enjoy flipping her off.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have done it, but it does suck that she is still oblivious to what happened and will probably keep doing it, only now she probably doesn't like bikers.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
billy - stock pipe.... not gonna change that till i have leathers and some other essentials, but yea i get the impression a d&d would help out getting noticed :)

alex - i completely agree... that was almost the most infuriating part. i actually considered trying to get her to stop/pull over, but thought better of it.

and all of you - shoulda said a while back, tx much for the concern and support and feedback. i like this board a lot, havin a place to vent/share/learn/teach/etc. 600rr net peeps = rawk :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Aeteocles makes some good points about people just sucking at driving in general. I have been in the car with lots of people (including my girlfriend) where I'm watching the road much more than they are.

And if it's the conversation thats distracting then we might as well ban passengers and backseaters from talking in the car. Since we know that'll never happen, it's always going to be up to us and not the government to take care of ourselves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts