Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Impreza The Impressive
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight to the point, i was changing lanes from left to right back to left and then i hit a bump (while leaning back to the left lane) my handle bars started to go from side to side really fast and really hard to get it back to normal again. Is this the description of a tankslapper? i never knew the true/correct definition of it so i don't know. My question is, will a damper STOP this from happening or will it help out controlling it to get it back to normal? This is the second time that this has happend to me. Is it my suspension in front that is too soft because it seems like everytime i hit a bump while leaning, my front comes off the ground pretty easily and it scares the living **** out of me. What should i do differently?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have wrecked from a tankslapper while I was getting on the highway before. It really is a helpless feeling. There's not much you can do to save this but to just stay relaxed, have a relaxed grip on the handlbars, lean forward to put weight on the front end, & STAY on the throttle. Stabilizers do help but it's NOT a cure all, it just dampens out the shake. I dont have one on my bike but it's definatly on the list. As far as your suspension ? I dont really know much about suspension setups.
Here's another thread that has some great info by Moe!!
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=39214

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
wrx , is your suspension bottoming out either under brakes or hitting these bumps, i had a nasty head shake on saturdays ride, most situatuations i find the key is to not over react, just ride it out, still scares the crap outta me but. stiffen up the rebound and dampening maybe half a turn, ride the same road and see how it feels... from wot you said id leave the preload alone . just something to try, post up how you go with this

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't believe it's because of your front being too soft (assuming it's the rebound we're talking about,) instead I think it's too stiff.
So when it hits a bump the shock compresses, but doesn't rebound back in time, then the wheel's off the ground while gotten steered off center, at last touchdown at an angle "BAM", it dances.

Dial it down by adjusting the rebound here:

I personally prefer to have the compression being to the "hard" side and the rebound to the "soft" side, but not to the extreme.
Cause we dont usually ride thru road with constant big bumps, we tend to avoid that (unless you're on your dirtbike :) Also I think it's better for highways.

But that's just me and Captain Morgan :icon_pidu

·
Impreza The Impressive
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jotaro said:
On the rebound adjuster, when i twist it, it seems like it's doing nothing as like it's just twisting, Not getting tighter nor looser. Is that how it suppose to be? and for the compression adjuster, does it have to be the same as the rebound adjuster? example: rebound adjuster is set to hard, does comp. adj. has to be set to hard as well or they can be opposite of each other?

crotch_rocket_pilot said:
same as Blizzle RR. Thanks Guys :beer:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ImprezaWrx9 said:
On the rebound adjuster, when i twist it, it seems like it's doing nothing as like it's just twisting, Not getting tighter nor looser. Is that how it suppose to be? and for the compression adjuster, does it have to be the same as the rebound adjuster? example: rebound adjuster is set to hard, does comp. adj. has to be set to hard as well or they can be opposite of each other?

same as Blizzle RR. Thanks Guys :beer:
Yes, they just twist, and not like screws.
And yes, they can be opposite if you prefer so.
In your case, just try adjust the rebound first, then ride it and see how you like it.

Forks have basically two elements,
spring that oscillate
and some fluid to restrict that oscillation.
By harder, it means it dampens/restrain the motion of the spring more (laymen-ly speaking.)
By soft means less restriction.

Compression is when the forks got shorten (like when you hit a bump)
Rebound is when the forks go back from shortening (like when after the bump)

During highway rides, I personally dont care about compression from bumps, cause my limbs act as the shock absorbers, so I keep it on the 'hard' side.
On the other hand, I care about the rebound after that bump, cause I'd like to have the wheel to stay in contact with the ground and on track, so I give it to the 'soft' side in order for the spring to go back from compressed with less restriction.
Therefore, I like hard compression and soft rebound on highways :spin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts