Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm having a bit of a problem with my 04' 600RR.

When I'm standing still with the bike in neutral and shift into first, it clunks into gear. When I release the clutch it clunks again (same sound as putting it in gear). Same happens in 2nd gear.

The weird thing is, when I put it in gear and roll the bike just a little bit forward and then release the clutch the clunk sound occurs. When I put it in gear and roll the bike backwards a bit and then release the clutch nothing happens.

It's driving me nuts. Chainslack is ~30mm and the chain/sprockets look good.

The clunk sounds exactly the same as shifting a gear and is obviously feelable in the footpegs and visible in the chain.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I get a clunking too when accelerating from a stop, gets really annoying and im not sure if its audible for other people when in traffic. I have also noticed that if I lock up my rear i get a pretty loud and obvious feeling clunk from the swing arm. I think both issues may be due to a little bit of play in the swing arm (axle slot?) and caliper assembly. Other people on here would know more though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I get the same clunk on my 05 I noticed it clunks in first gear when releasing my clutch of I roll forward while in gear and then release it. But like you of I roll backwards it doesn't do it. Probably just caused by some play in the transmission/chain.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so guys! It doesn't feel 'natural'

Glad I'm not the only one though...
Could it be the cush drive perhaps?

Any of you tried anything to fix it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone?

it seems to be happening more and more and i really want to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
check your drive chain adjustment. has a significant affect on the amount of 'clunking' that occurs when taking up the gears

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It is not the chain and sprockets.. Chain slack is fine and sprockets are also in good condition. Chain has no tight spots and whatsoever..

The clunk sound is definately coming from area near the front sprocket.
When I let of the gas and immediatly give gas again it also makes the clunking sound.

Oil and filter will be swapped soon but that's not the problem unfortunately...

Oh and on a sidenote, it only clunks when the bike is warm. On cold starts no clunking nothing! When the bike is on a rearstand it also doesnt clunk unless I apply pressure on the rear brake so it happens only under 'load'. Funny thing is that it also doesnt clunk when I have my front brake pulled in and release the clutch.

This problem is driving me nuts!

Thanks for your replies! Any help is welcome!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
well if the wheels are static, either through the use of the front brake or the back, means the back sprocket won't move. As you are indicating that the chain is the correct tension around the sprockets, then it has to be within the gearbox/clutch.

As previously mentioned I would suggest lash, however it won't hurt to take the clutch cover off and check the basket for play, wear between the basket fingers and the clutch plate fingers.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
My bike is very lashy. Just get over it. If you are so paranoid you will find normal things that most wouldn't notice and freak out about it. There are many many motorcycle hypochondriacs. Its OK man

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well if the wheels are static, either through the use of the front brake or the back, means the back sprocket won't move. As you are indicating that the chain is the correct tension around the sprockets, then it has to be within the gearbox/clutch.

As previously mentioned I would suggest lash, however it won't hurt to take the clutch cover off and check the basket for play, wear between the basket fingers and the clutch plate fingers.
I'm gonna do an oil and filter swap soon so I'll look at the clutch basket and plates! Don't hope it's anything in my gearbox since that's a bit to difficult for me to do myself and I don't trust the dealer!

My bike is very lashy. Just get over it. If you are so paranoid you will find normal things that most wouldn't notice and freak out about it. There are many many motorcycle hypochondriacs. Its OK man
Yeah it's not the fact that I'm being paranoid about it but it spoils riding for me. I can feel it shifting down at higher speeds and when accelerating hard also. It simply doesn't feel good to have it clunk all the time, and I'm very careful with my baby :)

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
well you had better get used to it.

if you unload and set the transmission during decel, it will lash and grab on accel.

it all boils down to how you ride. you can't fix it with oil changes. it's just how it is. either adjust how you ride or get used to the clunks. there's no way about it.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
maybe you are partially engaging the gears as you shift....... and then ,under load the gears(dogs?) are fully meshing?

Check shift pedal adjustment?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts