Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S0rry if this is a NewB questi0n But..

I b0ught my RR' ab0ut 6 m0nths ag0, and the guy I b0ught it fr0m menti0ned that the cluster butt0ns didn't w0rk...The bike is still under warranty, s0 I asked him why he just didn't bring it in to be serviced?!? He said that the dealership w0uld have to replace the gauge cluster, in d0ing so RESET the milage on the bike...is this true?!? I w0uld think you sh0uld be able to plug in a new cluster with0ut resetting your milage, but idk..Any info helps, I tried searching' the f0rums but I didn't find much on it...

Thankz Guyz!

·
Registered
207 Posts
the mileage information is probably stored inside the cluster, on a chip similar to the way the bios settings are stored on a computer motherboard. replace the cluster, the stored mileage goes out with the old one. being a dealer though, they should be able to run the mileage on the new cluster up to what the old one read. I know some car companies do this, but since i've never had to deal with it on a bike i don't know for sure. call the honda dealer and ask.

or, you can try to find a used cluster from a board member with stored mileage in the ballpark of yours. that'd probably be the cheapest if you can find one, and i see people on here looking to buy used clusters pretty frequently.

what year is this bike?

·
Registered
486 Posts
The same thing happened on my '03. I just pulled the cluster apart and super glued the tabs inside. I never had another problem after that and it was pretty easy to do. I think there is a thread somewhere on how to do it...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an 03'...I remember seeing a thread ab0ut super glue'ing the clips for the butt0ns, But i'd rather just get the whole cluster replaced and not have to w0rry ab0ut it ya kn0w?!? I'ma call h0nda 2 day and see what they say...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's an 03'...I remember seeing a thread ab0ut super glue'ing the clips for the butt0ns, But i'd rather just get the whole cluster replaced and not have to w0rry ab0ut it ya kn0w?!? I'ma call h0nda 2 day and see what they say...

Thanks guys!
IMO, the new one will probably do the same thing the old one did. Replacement cluster + $40 + shipping = $$$$ or $5 for a bottle of super glue and about 90 mins worth of work?

It's up to you to decide. I guess it depends on your mechanical ability. Once I finished I wished I had fixed it sooner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts