Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need some help here...I'm stumped.

I recently replaced my throttle cables on my '08 and since then my bike's been running really weird. First it idled really high, so I adjusted them and it seemed to get a lot better. Now the adjustment seems good (good throttle response and cable slack) but the idle is a little high (2000-2500rpm). The strange thing is that when I use the clutch the rpms go up and down. With the clutch all the way out it's ok (a little higher than normal, but ok) and with the clutch all the way in (and the bike in gear) it's at like 3500 rpm.

Any ideas? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't know too much so anybody correct me if I'm wrong but the rpms adjust themselves to keep the bike from stalling out when using clutch only.

·
Registered
187 Posts
07 and newer dont have the idle adjustment screws. I looked for mine forever on my 07 and learned they dont have them, the idle is controlled by the Computer. You MAY have a pin hole in a vacuum line somewhere, I know it has nothing to do with your throttle cables but that was my issue, I had a tiny hole in a vacuum line and it was causing the idle to be all screwy.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The clutch is supposed to affect the idle, the clutch switch is connected to the ecu...

So do you mean with the clutch handle all the way out, and the drive engaged its a little high but when you squeeze the clutch handle in, disengaging the drive the rpm goes through the roof?

Can you start the bike with it in gear, the side stand up and the clutch pulled in?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clutch is supposed to affect the idle, the clutch switch is connected to the ecu...

So do you mean with the clutch handle all the way out, and the drive engaged its a little high but when you squeeze the clutch handle in, disengaging the drive the rpm goes through the roof?

Can you start the bike with it in gear, the side stand up and the clutch pulled in?
Sorry, it's been awhile, but I'm still having this issue.

I need to put together a detailed list of what happens and when, but basically it's this:
-bike idles higher than normal (2000-2500rpm)
-pull in clutch (no change in idle)
-engage first (no change in idle)
-slowly let out clutch, and at about 50% engagement the idle jumps ~1000rpm and makes the bike want to jump or wheelie
-with clutch all the way out, the idle is still higher than normal, but it is smooth
-when riding normally everything is fine, but the idle will never go below 2000rpm (i think normal idle is around 1500)

I haven't tried starting it in gear with the stand up, why do you ask?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Sorry, it's been awhile, but I'm still having this issue.

I need to put together a detailed list of what happens and when, but basically it's this:
-bike idles higher than normal (2000-2500rpm)
-pull in clutch (no change in idle)
-engage first (no change in idle)
-slowly let out clutch, and at about 50% engagement the idle jumps ~1000rpm and makes the bike want to jump or wheelie
-with clutch all the way out, the idle is still higher than normal, but it is smooth
-when riding normally everything is fine, but the idle will never go below 2000rpm (i think normal idle is around 1500)

I haven't tried starting it in gear with the stand up, why do you ask?
what year is your bike.
this can make a difference in what the problem may or may not be.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
It just sounds like your clutch switch needs adjusting, it should be coming on a lot later when your letting the clutch back out... about 80% of the way through its travel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It just sounds like your clutch switch needs adjusting, it should be coming on a lot later when your letting the clutch back out... about 80% of the way through its travel.
Any idea how to do that? Also, any idea how it would have gotten messed up?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any idea how to do that? Also, any idea how it would have gotten messed up?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
It just screws on to the underside of the clutch lever...

Just had a look at it and it can't be adjusted but it may be broken...

The switch has a big pin coming out, it should be around 3/4" to 1" long... you need to pull the clutch in almost all the way before the handle stops making contact with it.

Or you can you pull the clutch in and take a photo of the underside of the handle at the pivot and post it up...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It just screws on to the underside of the clutch lever...

Just had a look at it and it can't be adjusted but it may be broken...

The switch has a big pin coming out, it should be around 3/4" to 1" long... you need to pull the clutch in almost all the way before the handle stops making contact with it.

Or you can you pull the clutch in and take a photo of the underside of the handle at the pivot and post it up...
Yeah I know what you mean now; the switch is intact and functional (checked it with a multi-meter).

Also, for what it's worth, it seems to come and go. For instance when I rode home yesterday it was doing it about half as bad (as it is capable of) when I left work, really bad when I got most of the way home, and in my neighborhood it was barely noticeable.

I wish there were a check engine or FI light on to make this easier....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what it's worth, I was playing around with Nico's suggestion of starting it while in gear and it's given me some more data...

-When it's idling high (which now seems intermittent) I can shut it off at a stop light and restart it (in gear) and it's fine for the rest of the ride. When I shut it off and restart it (in neutral) it still seems fine. However, when I park it for the night and start it up in the morning (in neutral or gear) it idles high again.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
That is a bit of a strange one... it sounds like the ecu isn't reading the temp after startup...

The only thing I could suggest looking at for that is the ecu, so probably worth taking it in to a shop to have looked at before you go spending that kind of money on something that may not fix your problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think it's just a high idle; is there a way to adjust the idle on an '08?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts