Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was driving home from work today, stopped at a store to pick up some bare essentials (stuff that can fit into a backpack) and started my official ride home from there. As I was pulling up to a stoplight, my clutch cable snapped. Luckily I was in neutral and I wasn't forced to weave off into a traffic somewhere or something

But I pushed the bike into a parking lot and sat there for a bit wondering how to at least "rig" it enough to get home -- I've got a little sack of generic tools and .. well, couldn't use anything in said sack to rig it. Then figured I might be able to actually use my left hand to work the clutch arm on the side of the engine case itself while my right one worked the throttle. Started the bike up, "pulled the lever" (holding the clutch arm coming out of the case) and popped it into gear, stalled as if it didn't have a clutch at all.

I ended up just waiting for traffic to die down, got a running start while it was started and popped it into gear and just cruised home.

But.. did I somehow fry my actual clutch? Do I need to replace the plates? Shouldn't holding the arm have worked?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,826 Posts
There is no way your hand is strong enough to release the clutch at the case. The amount you moved it would just be to pick up the slack

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no way your hand is strong enough to release the clutch at the case. The amount you moved it would just be to pick up the slack
Hmm, didn't think those springs were that strong. A new cable *should* be all it needs then? At least for now? The bike has 30k miles, I definitely need to take it in for a full tune-up -- valves, shims, probably a whole new clutch assembly while they're at it. Not sure if it's ever had anything done.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
clutch probably fine, it's gears that take abuse when this happens.

replace cable, and lube the lead button that goes into clutch lever...

get/keep your bike in good mechanical tune....get valves checked!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,826 Posts
your stock clutch will be fine at 30k if you aren't being a goon when you're riding it and keep your cable properly adjusted.

the springs are strong as hell man, there's no way you disengaged the clutch with your fingers.

if you don't believe me, put a crescent wrench on the lever and actuate it with the wrench, it takes a serious pull to do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your stock clutch will be fine at 30k if you aren't being a goon when you're riding it and keep your cable properly adjusted.

the springs are strong as hell man, there's no way you disengaged the clutch with your fingers.

if you don't believe me, put a crescent wrench on the lever and actuate it with the wrench, it takes a serious pull to do it.
I bought the bike in January, 5th owner. I have no idea what kind of abuse it's been subjected to in the past but I drive it like a granny for the most part. I went for a good 4-5 hour ride over the weekend (single day, that is) which was *maybe* 40 minutes collectively on a highway, otherwise lots of shifting through traffic and such. I plan on taking it for some decently long rides during Summer so I was trying to get a "feel" for it, what it could handle. Glad I did before taking any of said trips..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts