Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, doing some work on my bike, and i noticed that that when i pull the clutch all the way in and roll the bike forward, it doesnt roll freely as if i had it in neutral.

i tried adjustments at both near the lever and on bottom, but even when tightening up all the slack, it feels the same. is my clutch on its way out? seems like more of an issue when the bike is cold, when it's fully warmed up it doesnt really happen.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Does it engage properly when under drive?

If so then chances are that you just need a new clutch cable, they do stretch over time.
They can also break inside the sheath causing them to lengthen all at once, if this is the case then the rest of the cable will go shortly.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
How much drag is there? You are probably going to get a little bit of drag any way. Put it on the rear stand and see how much the rear wheel spins with the clutch fully dis-engaged.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@nico - the bike engages properly when the clutch is fully out. no slippage whatsover.

i did think it was the cable at first, but then i adjusted the bottom nuts all the way out to compensate for stretching and it still didnt roll freely when in gear holding the clutch in.

@crash - the bike was not running when i was doing this last night. last season, when i would take it out of the garage and go down the street, if i held the clutch in and revved, i could hear the clunking as if the clutch was engaging. but this went away when the bike warmed up.

@powermoose1 - i dont have a rear stand, but the drag is noticeable. i can still push the bike with the clutch held all the way in, but there is definitely some added resistance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
To the OP.

I have a 09 with just over 4,000 miles on it.

If im pushing it around in gear with the clutch pulled in, it is still harder to push than when in neutral.

For what its worth...

These are wet clutches, they are a series of metal/friction/metal/friction ect. Even when disengaged you are still going to have some resistance, it just isnt noticeable when sitting with the engine running/on the brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Is this just something you have just noticed noticed or has it just happened?

Is it a heap harder? Cause exodus is right...

If it is a heap harder and something that has just happened then your clutch cable probably needs replacing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i first noticed something funny when parking the bike in my parking lot, requiring me to walk it back and forth with the clutch in. i had a hard time getting into N-- it would only go from 1st to 2nd and back, making me think that the clutch was not fully disengaging.

i also noticed it when coming out of the parking lot with the bike cold, and when stopping at the first traffic light, the bike would make the engagement "clunk" if revved.

the bike is in my apartment lobby right now for the winter, and i was doing work on it and wanted to adjust the clutch nuts on bottom to compensate for cable slack. the bike can roll about half a foot before getting difficult to move. i am guessing this has been this way since i got the bike, but i bought this bike with about 9k miles so it might need some work.

Lionking-- i did shift the nuts really far over to the right, making the clutch lever very tight and i still had this problem.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
So is the clutch fully actuating at the case? If so then you might have to tear into it and see what has gone wrong...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts