Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 CBR600RR, last sunday it went down on the left side (alternator/stator side). the stator cover was cracked a little bit.

When I start the bike up now, i get a very distinct rattle from the clutch basket (noise sounds very much like a ducati). I know it is from the clutch basket because i've put my ear all around the engine and it is very obviously coming from the clutch basket. I should add that the bike starts up beautifully, idles beautifully, revs perfectly, and the clutch/transmission does not slip or jump out of gear or anything like that. in other words- the bike FUNCTIONS fine.

So, figuring that I may have knocked something loose in the basket I pulled the cover off and all the plates. All were inspected by me and I also enlisted the aid of a mechanic who agreed with me that everything looked normal. I cleaned and oiled the plates and reinstalled, making sure to torque the springs to spec, etc... reinstalled everything and the noise still persists.

The noise goes away when the bike is warm and it is lifted off the kickstand. it also goes away when i lean the bike to the right. once i put it on the kickstand (leaning left), the noise comes back. also, once it's warm, i can pull the clutch in and the noise will go away.

i understand it's hard to diagnose things over the internet, but regardless- it can't hurt to put it out there. any ideas?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You sure it's not the cam chain tensioner? It's right above the clutch so you could think it was coming from the same area. It's on the right side and is governed by oil pressure. It's very possible you knocked something loose there.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update: i don't think it's the clutch, nor do i think it's the tensioner. turns out that as my rearset (woodcraft) bent toward the swingarm in the fall, the splined gearshift shaft coming from the engine was "pulled" outward. i believe the problem is rooted somewhere in the gearshift mechanism itself.... guess i'm gonna have to disassemble and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts