Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I need help. Problem I have on the bike, for the second time this week is that when pulling off on and when accelerating on any gear, the bike won't accelerate but rather revs up. The clutch is not disengaging. The lever on the clutch is also very tight and has absolutely no play.

Please advise!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Have you checked the hoses hanging underneath the bike? They might be clogged.

Just messin around dude. Your clutch cable sounds like it might be on too tight, play with the adjusting screw on both the lever and clutch side. Also the line might have gotten crimped somehow, check the line.

Sent while sitting on the crapper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I have had to park the bike at my friend's place since I could not ride it. I tried playing around with the screws on the clutch cable but there was no result. Instead it would at times not disengage at all even if I left the clutch lever completely. No lurching forward. I did not touch the screw on the clutch lever itself. I just wish that the kit does not need to be replaced.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Clutch cables are easy enough to replace any how. But Dynamic is right, check your slack at the lever and adjust from there. Worst case scenario, you have a worn cable.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If the line is damaged they are pretty inexpensive to replace and about an hours work at home with basic tools. It doesn't sound like its a clutch issue.

Is the lever springing back after you release it? If no there might be a problem with the spring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to a mechanic who thinks the clutch could be burned out. Could it be? I hope not.

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
Spoke to a mechanic who thinks the clutch could be burned out. Could it be? I hope not.

That's one thing that could cause it but I'd be looking at the cable first. The OEM part from Honda is just over 20 bucks and takes literally 5 minutes to change.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Wait, the clutch won't DISENGAGE, or won't ENGAGE?

It sounds to me like it's either not fully engaging, or it's worn. Am I reading this correctly? Either way, I agree with everything stated above.

1) Adjust the slack in your cable. It's possible that it's too tight and not letting the clutch fully re-engage after shifting.

2) If this has been going on for a while (that is, you've been slipping your clutch constantly while riding), it's possible that your clutch is toast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I adjusted the fr slack all the way up. No slack whatsoever . When I tighten it, then the clutch does not disengage at all.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You should be able to create slack in the cable...unless it was previously replaced with one that was too short.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The cable also feels tight as it runs around the fork

In that case remove the cable from the lever and re-run it on the inside of the fork. Max tension on the outside giving you no room for adjusting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
No one's going to mention that you can just look over toward your right foot and see if the cable is moving?
Look at the little lever beside your oil fill cap. If it moves when you squeeze the clutch and the pressure and return on the lever feels mostly normal, the disks are spent.

Your clutch is disengaged, you want it to engage.
Taking the slack out of your cable will not help this.
It could be a cable but it wouldn't spring back normally.
It's most likely the clutch.

OP, can you post a pic of your clutch cable routing? Someone, would have to work to screw that up.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
No one's going to mention that you can just look over toward your right foot and see if the cable is moving?
Look at the little lever beside your oil fill cap. If it moves when you squeeze the clutch and the pressure and return on the lever feels mostly normal, the disks are spent.
I believe I mentioned this in my first reply but may have worded it different.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I believe I mentioned this in my first reply but may have worded it different.

I know man, he's running short on technical specifics from his first post.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts