Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking around and talking to people. i just purchased my first bike an 05 cbr 600 rr. alot of people who i have talk to do not use the clutch to shift unless its shifting down. whats the reason for this are the transmissions synchronized ( referring to car transmissions) sorry all i really know. i know that clutch-less shifting in my car is terrible and wrecks synchos. why is a bike any different or is it not?

D

·
0 Posts
Clutchless shifting should really only be done when up shifting, not down shifting. The whole reason is your out of the power for a lesser period of time and can easily be the difference of .1 second. On a track where you upshift even 10 times, that's about 1 second off your lap time.

For the street, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a reason to make this a practice on the streets? just upshifting with out a clutch isnt a problem for the bike at all?

D

·
0 Posts
Not a problem if done properly, and no reason other than getting accustomed to it for track riding.

D

·
0 Posts
If the clutch distracts you when riding, you should be no where near anything with wheels.

·
Registered
73 Posts
using the clutch distracts you? :retard:

il stay away from you lol:crackup:
nope, I just prefer to not lose any power :retard:, clutchless shifting = faster shifting = more time while the rear wheel is under complete power. No problem using the clutch but if I want to shift up real quick for some reason, like in 2nd after takeoff then I wont use the clutch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
rpm's probably arn't high enough, or youre not rolling off the throttle

1.) load the shifter lever up
2.) roll on throttle and then off throttle (or if you're already on the throttle just roll off a bit)
3.) clutch should pop up a gear

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
speed shifting is fun, I like the use of the clutch while shifting. you have more options using the clutch then without it while shifting anyways. getting in a habit of not using it on the streets can be a bad idea in case of an emergency. if you're good enough at speed shifting, you won't need to do any clutchless shifting anyways. on the streets, shifting without engaging the clutch really won't make a difference anyways.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As someone who clutchless upshifts at 3,000RPM nearly every day, I have to say you're talking out of your ass. :ciao:
really? I don't usually clutchless that low because in 2nd i'm usually above that. My statement still stands and is true for me, he could not be rolling off throttle

edit: btw what the hell is with everyone here? don't act like an ass

·
Registered
499 Posts
As someone who clutchless upshifts at 3,000RPM nearly every day, I have to say you're talking out of your ass. :ciao:
Who the hell shifts a 600 at 3k RPM?

This is the beauty of straight cut gears (versus diagonal cut gears, which we have in cars). They're stronger and can handle clutchless shifts. I will say that from MY personal experience, both clutched and clutchless shifting is easier to do at high rpm. I only do it to upshift, and I don't do it often because I like practicing smooth clutch action over rapid fire shifts. And even with the clutch I'm a pretty quick shift (in both a car and on a bike).

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
really? I don't usually clutchless that low because in 2nd i'm usually above that. My statement still stands and is true for me, he could not be rolling off throttle

edit: btw what the hell is with everyone here? don't act like an ass
Don't take it to heart. Demented's a little abrasive but usually pretty darn helpful. His first post was bang on.

EDIT: to add onto what Demented said in his first post, there are 3 ways to shift: clutch, clutchless and using a quick shifter. A clutch shift might take 0.5 seconds to complete, a clutchless 0.4 and a quick shift 0.3. These times aren't exact, but you get the picture. So for someone on the drag strip or track its a given if you want be quicker. For a street rider it's all personal preference since you're not racing the clock.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts