1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty interesting stuff. I wouldn't say college is a total scam. If you do decide to go to college, you should pick your degree very carefully.

You can spend 80k on a bachelors in psychology and graduate with a really high GPA and not be able to land a job and you find yourself waiting tables. I've seen this happen. I know a guy with a masters degree in psychology and is working a security position at Target making like 40k.

If you do go to college, get a technical degree. The most difficult degrees are going to have the higher payouts.

The field of computer science is very competitive and less and less people are doing it. You will not be able to land an interview at most companies (including the one I work for) if you don't have at least a bachelors in computer science or software engineering. You can spend 80k on a 4 to 5 year degree and end up making 60k+ right out of college. That's 20k more than the average household income. It will pay for itself pretty quickly as your salary increases.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pretty interesting stuff. I wouldn't say college is a total scam. If you do decide to go to college, you should pick your degree very carefully.

You can spend 80k on a bachelors in psychology and graduate with a really high GPA and not be able to land a job and you find yourself waiting tables. I've seen this happen. I know a guy with a masters degree in psychology and is working a security position at Target making like 40k.

If you do go to college, get a technical degree. The most difficult degrees are going to have the higher payouts.

The field of computer science is very competitive and less and less people are doing it. You will not be able to land an interview at most companies (including the one I work for) if you don't have at least a bachelors in computer science or software engineering. You can spend 80k on a 4 to 5 year degree and end up making 60k+ right out of college. That's 20k more than the average household income. It will pay for itself pretty quickly as your salary increases.
:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

So, my wife just finished her MSA in Acounting in May. She starts working for KPMG in august. She will be starting at 55k + health, 25 payed days off every year, and there is the potential to make junior partner in < 5 years (150k+). A good friend of mine just graduated with his BS in Computer Science with a 3.2 GPA and started working last week for Booz Allen starting at 62k + benys. I will be graduating in December with my BS in Computer Science and a GPA of 3.6. I am currently interning as a Software Developer for a company making 18.50/hr. Things are going very well, and expect to get an offer at the end of the summer. Starting salary should be between 55k and 65k.

5 years ago I was a high school drop out, and flipping eggs at 6am at Cracker Barrel for 8.50/hr. - I didn't even know how to type then... I could turn on most computers but that was about the extent of my technical abilities...

We, combined, have just under 90k in school debt, but will be entering the workforce making just over 100k a year. College is expensive. No doubt about it. And for those that just go and **** off for 4-5 years it is a tremendous waste of time and money. But, for those that take it seriously and focus on accomplishing something it's invaluable.

The problem is not with college; it's with the students. You get out of it what you put in. If a student doesn't learn anything how the hell can he/she expect anyone to pay them for anything... It's all about making yourself valuable. I say, if a student doesn't want to learn anything they should take the money they are throwing away in college and just invest it. That is the only real way they are going to make any money off of their money...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

So, my wife just finished her MSA in Acounting in May. She starts working for KPMG in august. She will be starting at 55k + health, 25 payed days off every year, and there is the potential to make junior partner in < 5 years (150k+). A good friend of mine just graduated with his BS in Computer Science with a 3.2 GPA and started working last week for Booz Allen starting at 62k + benys. I will be graduating in December with my BS in Computer Science and a GPA of 3.6. I am currently interning as a Software Developer for a company making 18.50/hr. Things are going very well, and expect to get an offer at the end of the summer. Starting salary should be between 55k and 65k.

5 years ago I was a high school drop out, and flipping eggs at 6am at Cracker Barrel for 8.50/hr. - I didn't even know how to type then... I could turn on most computers but that was about the extent of my technical abilities...

We, combined, have just under 90k in school debt, but will be entering the workforce making just over 100k a year. College is expensive. No doubt about it. And for those that just go and **** off for 4-5 years it is a tremendous waste of time and money. But, for those that take it seriously and focus on accomplishing something it's invaluable.

The problem is not with college; it's with the students. You get out of it what you put in. If a student doesn't learn anything how the hell can he/she expect anyone to pay them for anything... It's all about making yourself valuable. I say, if a student doesn't want to learn anything they should take the money they are throwing away in college and just invest it. That is the only real way they are going to make any money off of their money...
I will watch the video when I get a chance but I think it really can't be said any better than what is quoted

·
Registered
793 Posts
For you young guys

I feel sorry for the current generation that is being forced to go into so much debt to get a college degree. When I got my BS in Computer Science in the late 70's early 80's I did it the old fashioned way - by "working my way" though school with summer jobs. My parents didn't have money so I did a lot of crap jobs to make whatever I could and I scraped by, barely. That isn't even remotely an option for kids today because the cost is at least 10x what I paid. Unless you can pick up a full-time summer job paying $60/hr it just isn't going to happen.

I went back and got an MS in Telecomputing a few years ago. The only kids in there were from overseas because they had grants or some other form or financial assistance.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
$5k for Paramedic school next year. Granted I will more than likely never make a whole shitload of cash fromm that career, but I am so glad that it's not going to cost me tens of thousands for the career path I want to follow.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The whole college thing is an interesting debate. I will say that had I never went to college I wouldn't be where I am today. When I was younger everyone had the notion that simply going to college and getting a degree was going to land you a decent job and a decent salary. The problem nowadays is almost everyone has a degree, and more people are finding themselves in masters and phd programs to get a step ahead of the competition. Another issue is that there are people spending tens of thousands of dollars on liberal arts degrees. I'm not trying to hate, but when you spend $60k on an arts history degree, I don't see how you're going to repay that anytime soon and make a decent living at the same time. And finally, there's a sense of entitlement out there, that as long as you get a degree from a college, any college, you're entitled to a nice salary as soon as you graduate. Problem is there are other people out there who have spent those 4 years learning to how apply their education to the real world, networking, and preparing for life after college. Those are the people that realize hard work reaps rewards.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I feel sorry for the current generation that is being forced to go into so much debt to get a college degree. When I got my BS in Computer Science in the late 70's early 80's I did it the old fashioned way - by "working my way" though school with summer jobs. My parents didn't have money so I did a lot of crap jobs to make whatever I could and I scraped by, barely. That isn't even remotely an option for kids today because the cost is at least 10x what I paid. Unless you can pick up a full-time summer job paying $60/hr it just isn't going to happen.

I went back and got an MS in Telecomputing a few years ago. The only kids in there were from overseas because they had grants or some other form or financial assistance.
Many good points in this thread. Watching the video after this post.

Stand by for blog

BimmerX2, I am currently working my way through a BSEE. I've worked my entire college career and have been going to school for 6 years with a year and a half left. I see these kids that don't work at all their entire college career. I don't understand how that's even feasible unless they have massive help from their parents. I looked into loans briefly, the loans I qualified for would not even cover my basic expenses. I do see a positive future for myself going into a technical field as someone else mentioned. However I know plenty of individuals with 4 year degrees "flipping burgers". I do believe having a degree (particularly a technical degree) after your name says a few things about you beyond the knowledge gained in class. You are able to learn difficult concepts quickly, you have good time management skills, chances are you developed some communication skills, and you are committed and willing to work hard towards a goal. I work in the engineering industry and I firmly believe that anyone with a sharp mind could hop into an entry level engineering position and through experience pick up all the necessary knowledge without college. But again, simply having a degree says a lot about you.

That being said, I do feel "college" in general is due for a re-vamp.

Here is another interesting video;
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150211880540059&oid=107031532675062&comments

·
Registered
301 Posts
You really don't need to have a degree to make lots of money in today's service based economy. I have plenty of friends who work as sales men in the produce industry and are doing extremely well financially without college degrees. I am, however, a firm believer in having a well rounded education. Being a Renaissance man so to speak, helps one to view the world from several angles and can give you an edge by being a little more versatile than the guy next to you who has focused his entire life on just one profession. Versatility is what drives evolution, it never hurts to have more knowledge.

Universities for the most part reside in densely populated cities. They are enormous centers for the exchange of information and knowledge. These information hubs are proven, in fields of Geographic Urban studies, to generally produce new and innovative ideas along with more educated individuals. From these ideas gives birth to the advancement of human societies and their standards of living. In short without Universities human society wouldn't be where it is today. College isn't for everyone but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't have it at all.

·
Moto GSpizzle
7,778 Posts
i started my own company this year and as long as it keeps growing ill be making more than i ever would if i got a degree and pursued a job climbing some corporate ladder. first year and ive already made 3x what i did last year. oh and i only worked 4 months this year :3

·
Registered
219 Posts
i started my own company this year and as long as it keeps growing ill be making more than i ever would if i got a degree and pursued a job climbing some corporate ladder. first year and ive already made 3x what i did last year. oh and i only worked 4 months this year :3
^^ high risk = high reward. all the best man..

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

are you hiring? and do you offer benefits? :ciao:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

That is still possible. I did it and graduated in 06 with a BA in Spanish. I worked through it and even had the U pay for the second half when I got a staff job. It's possible you just have to keeps your eyes and ears open for opportunities.

Sent from Rob's iPhone 4 using Motorcycle app

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea, school is just not for everybody
and from the information provided it really does show a collision course with disaster.
the 'school bubble' will burst as the housing bubble did...
fed reserve will continue to print trillions of dollars to 'save' the US economy but infact they will only continue to destroy it.

i say vote for ron paul
im not very political but at least he wants to make some 'change' in the right areas.
get rid of the federal reserve, get rid of the war on drugs..those two things right there would help the USA more than the fed printing money and the goverenment bailing out companies that need to fail...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts