Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was thinking about getting a red chain for my RR and i was wandering how dirty they get and how fast? Will the red just be covered up too fast to make it not worth it? Thanks for any input.

Kyle

·
Registered
159 Posts
I guess it makes sense if you're to the point where you need a new chain, or if you're doing a 520 conversion/ changing your gearing ratio. To answer your original question you should be cleaning and lubing your chain pretty frequently regardless so getting dirty shouldn't be an issue

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess that is a very good point. alright, so i'm going to rock a colored chain than. no my next question cause u got me thinking. u said 520 conversion...arent the stock sprockets 520 already? Shouldnt i be able to put a 520 chain on my bike without changing the sprockets?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i got a blue chain too. still blue. i lube and clean it after every ride. just put it up on the bike stand and hold a old rag to each side while u spin the wheel.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
ya, that sounds easy enough. i think i can rock a red chain now. I have the factory sprockets on it, do i get the 525 chain?
It's best NOT to pair a new chain with old sprockets. It will prematurely wear out the new chain. Best to replace everything at once...unless you don't have very many miles on her? Me? I'd go with either nickel or gold. I am a purist. The most I'd do is change my bolts to black to match the covers. Then again I'd rather do aluminum and titanium to drop some weight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, that makes sense. i guess i have heard that before. sorry about all the dumb questions guys, i'm kinda new to working on my own bikes. I'm actually in afghanistan right now so once i get home i'm sure it will be much easier to just experience this stuff myself. But ya, i'll have to look into new sprockets too

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Mine seems fine so far. I have probably only put 1k or so miles on it.

The only link that doesn't look as good is the master. I took one of the red plates of an extra link to use as the outer link for the master link. A bit of the paint came off near the rivet from the chain tool. In my opinion, that still looks better than having one gold or silver link.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
it adds 15hp! LOL no seriously imo if the price is not too outrageous or more than $10 extra than the normal color then NO I would buy it.

Than again I love my gold chain keep it nice and clean and it really stands out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The only link that doesn't look as good is the master. I took one of the red plates of an extra link to use as the outer link for the master link. A bit of the paint came off near the rivet from the chain tool. In my opinion, that still looks better than having one gold or silver link.

awesome, thanks a lot for that picture. that chain looks great.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
There is no need to change sprockets if you only have 4K miles on the bike. You can save a few bucks there if you need to. That being said, as long as you are getting a new chain, you might as well get a -1/+2 sprocket setup. It will give you a nice little kick in the pants.

To answer one of your other questions, your bike came with 525 pitch chain and sprockets. Most people go to 520 when they swap out, but there is no real need to do that either.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
2 things,

1. you can absolutely change the chain and leave the old sprockets if they're in good shape.

2. If your bike is a fashion show then by all means get a colored chain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot guys for that input. I'll definitely keep all of this in mind when i do buy the new set up. And yes, i think i'm going to change the teeth count too when i get new sprockets. Not a fashion sho tho...just going for a certain look. thanks tho :)

·
Registered
119 Posts

sick setup. that chain adds so much

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I took one of the red plates of an extra link to use as the outer link for the master link.
I know I asked this before, but I cannot remember what people said, and cannot find the thread but... is it safe to do this? I can't really see a reason why not as long as I don't bend/damage the plate as I remove it, but... I figured I would ask to be on the safe side.
Everybody complains about how fast their vortex aluminum sprockets wear out, but I CAN'T GET MINE TO. Maybe people just don't know how to maintain their bikes?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.