Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!
Lots of questions, so bear with me...

I sat on a CBR600RR yesterday at a local dealer. It felt more than big enough (despite me being 6'4") so that's nice. When my balls were against the tank was most comfortable of course BUT a lot of my weight was on my hands/wrists. Sales guy said that once I start riding it, 30+ MPH and the wind in my chest and it will take a lot of the pressure off. Is this true?

Being able to slide my butt back and hide behind the little wind shield was just cool :)

What is the brake in period? How long? How do I ride it? How do I not ride it? Please explain or link to something.

And finally, what is the first service? Just an oil change after first 500 miles?

Thanks guys!

Martin

·
Registered
145 Posts
You should be using your core/legs to support your body, not your arms/wrist. I'm sure the wind helps take off pressure, but ... you shouldn't depend on it. I used my arms/wrist when I first started riding a sportbike, noticed I had to fight wind on top of being fatigued quickly, read I should be supporting my upper body with core/legs and it made a huge difference.

According to the service manual, you're supposed to go easy on it the first 500 miles. I've read that beating on it the first 500 miles is actually better. It's up to you to decide which route, but Honda says go easy.

Then change the oil. The service manual also covers the maintenance schedule :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I started on a cruiser myself and it did take some getting use to since the position is more aggressive because it's a different beast! :banger:

Jorshor is correct, the weight should be supported mostly on the legs. Just take it around some side streets to get used to it and you'll be fine!
:fiddy:

·
Registered
113 Posts
My first two bikes were cruisers before I got the CBR as well. I ran into the same problem, supporting my weight with my arms and hands before I finally settled into the bike properly and used my legs/core. I'm not much smaller than you at 6'1'' and I feel very comfortable on it.

A good read/watch if you haven't yet is Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. I watched 2 on youtube.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
By supporting yourself w/ your core / legs we mean squeezing the tank with your inner thighs and holding yourself up w/ your core muscles. This in turn takes all the weight off the bars and your arms / wrists. It seems odd when its being explained but once your actually on the bike and do it then it makes sense

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first two bikes were cruisers before I got the CBR as well. I ran into the same problem, supporting my weight with my arms and hands before I finally settled into the bike properly and used my legs/core. I'm not much smaller than you at 6'1'' and I feel very comfortable on it.

A good read/watch if you haven't yet is Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. I watched 2 on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWLIfChUwg
watched about half of that movie last night and it made me want to cry... i realized i probably make every mistake the two noobs were making :cursin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts