Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to get on 2 wheels after being without for 3 years.
I have had an R1, R6 (race bike) Yamaha SP1 750 ama superbike, GSXR 750 and 89 FZR 600 over the past 19 years of riding.

I have taken a job that is 37 mile commute one way (65-75mph). I have never used a bike to commute on. Well 5 miles but that was a short distance.

Anyway, I can afford one bike. I have been eyeballing the Ducati HM. But the RR is so sexy, has better fuel range, requires less maintenance, would be great for the track a couple times a year and I can probably grab a used one for $7500-$8000 verses $14K for the Hyper.
The lack of a windshield on the HM is also a concern. I would get use to the wind but it might get a little more chilly when temps start to drop.

So what bags (tank & rear seat), are you guys keen on?

Double bubble windshields better than stock at highway speeds?

Favorite commuter jacket? My leathers are kinda trashed from my last race.
Rain pants & jacket?

Any other tips that would help get me in the commuting groove?
Thanks!
Alpinist

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
Skip the HM.. I rode down the Freeway on one and it was no fun.. Canyons was a different story but commuting.. NO GOOD.

Jacket for commuting. RS-Taichi GMX Motion Jacket..

Do a search and you can find all kinds of info on it. The GMX jacket is leather and vents like a no other jacket. Put the liner in and you are good down to 45 degrees.

As far as screens go you will not notice a big difference sitting up.

I ride 35 miles each way 5 days a week.

If you need any parts.. Sliders, wind screen or anything else let me know.

Scott

·
Registered
810 Posts
I used to do a 20m EW commute for 8 years & you can do that on anything,
But
I wouldn't get an RR for a 40m commute for 4 reasons.
1. You will fill it up every 2 days (tank range 120-160)
2. The Tyres will square off.
3. There are bikes that will do the commute better.
4. Comfort is not this bikes strong point.
5. You will want either: tank bag/ tailpack / saddlebagss & they are just not that cool.

Can you not get a GPZ500 (or something like it) cheaply & get a cheaper/ older RR also.
Failing that the VFR gets my vote.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would look into a Triumph Speed Triple. If I could go buy another bike right now (and keep the RR for the track) it would be the Speed Triple. They are fun to ride, and I think fairly comfortable. Thats my .02 cents

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a new 600RR and a VFR. Trust me, if you are commuting more than 20 miles, you want the VFR- especially if it's a highway commute.

Either way, congratulations for getting another cage off the road!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hhhmmmm.......

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check into the jacket Scott.

I am looking at the Cycle World write up on the Triumph now. Looks like a sweet bike. Damn, another bike to consider. Not sure about the green.
As far as the VRF, it's a bigger/heavier bike than I would like. At 5'9" and 145lbs, I prefer a lighter bike. Owning a R6 and R1 at the same time clued me in on that. The 07-08 cbr is an amazing 412 wet.

I'm pretty sure I can handle the 37 mile commute on the CBR. I rode my R1 from Norfolk VA to Manhatten (465 miles) one morning. When i got back home 4 days later, the odometer had 1300+ more miles on it. I also ride my bicycle 100 miles a week on average unless I go out for a 50+ ride on saturday. Then it's more. Although I never have ridden more than 100 in a day.

These 2 bikes leave me needing another bike for track days. Maybe I could get the Triple and then buy a 07 cbr for track days.

Pete, most tires will square off. I can always get a rear tire tire that is a little more "durable" and get a set for track days. I use to swap & balance all my tires when I raced.

So.... hardly no people commute on their CBR's. Interesting, I thought the bike might be a little more versatile.

Alpinist

·
Registered
810 Posts
It is not that the CBR (as cabable as it is) cannot do it. Its just that there are 'better' bikes for that role. The CBR 'RR' was just not designed for touring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Pete, you are right. It's tough to find the "do it all", perfect bike. I gotta try to figure out what i am willing to compromise on.

Alpinist

·
Registered
810 Posts
oh & don't bother with looking at unfaired bikes - Triumph Speed Triple !
They are fun bikes - but not 'everyday' on the highway at 75 when its raining.
You can commute on 'anything' - the modern bikes will take it
but
if I was looking at doing 1600miles a month minimum - (just for work) then I would want a bike designed for that role - the CBR 'RR' isn't.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Stats:

04 RR, full Arata....I keep the RPM's no higher then 7k (unless hte mood hits me)
I wear A*'s SMX II gloves, boots and a MX-1 jacket.
I have a Vemar Carbon fiber lid.
I will be using either Michelin 2CT or Bridgestone 016's next (I heard they are great for commuting without sacrificing traction or feel.

I commute 35 miles one direction.

I live in GA where the temp can get as low 25 below. I plan on riding until next may where i will buy a car cash.

You'll be fine on an RR. The small sacrifices you make for the sport nature of the bike (IMHO) are well worth it.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
I ride my RR almost daily sold my 03RR last year and it had 42 k miles
no problems what so ever the bike had a Corbin seat which was a major
reason behind such mileage figure.

I bought Miss O'Seven july last year another great stead as well even though
the stock seat is way better than my 03 seat i still upgraded to a Corbin

My daily trip is roughly 20 miles each way
and no discomforts riding the RR what so ever city or highway the RR rulez

·
Registered
810 Posts
Moe,

As i said
BUT
you are only doing 10,000 pa total
His commute would be 20,000 pa
40 x 2 - to & from work
x5 - days in week
x 50 - working weeks

& thats before he even wants to take the bike out on a fun ride.
Are you 'honestly' saying that if you were doing from min 20,000m a year you would do it on a RR. I know I wouldn't - & thats why I'd get 2 bikes.

I was a motorcycle dispatch rider in London in 1988 & was doing those mileages & yes, I had 2 bikes a Honda CB350s & a Honda CX500 - known as a Maggot.
Comfort is everything otherwise you just will not get on the bike for fun - & that is what the 600RR is.
It is a bike that says 'get on & do your best or worst - I'll still be there for you'.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I commute 75km each day on my 05 600RR.

I'm going to stop commuting with the 600RR. This bike was designed to carve up race tracks. Sitting on 60mph on the highway or lane splitting at 2mph through traffic is somewhat frustrating; on my commute, I wouldn't know the difference between my 120hp 600RR or a 42 HP DRZ400e...It's frustrating to have such a high performance vehicle which you cannot exploit. However, this depends on your commute. If your commute is actually fun(relatively deserted roads, a bit twisty, no cops) then the 600RR may be a good alternative.

The 600RR can handle commuting comfortably, but, IMHO, there are other bikes much better suited to this task.

I'm going to sell the 600RR. With the money, I'll buy a DR-Z400E for commuting and trail riding, and an RGV250(or Aprilia RS250) trackbike for fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Due to a car accident, I was commuting 20 miles to work, and 20 miles home for about 3 months. It was fine. I never had any complaints or problems with the RR being a commuter.

This thread is like saying:

Q: Can I commute in my Hyundai?
A: Well you caaaan, but a Bentley is just sooo much better.

You can commute on anything if you want to. Especially on the RR once you get used to it, get in shape, and get some muscle memory and whatnot.

The only thing that used to be a factor was the old good day/bad day double edge sword.
If I had a good day, alot of times it was fun flying around on the way home.
If I had a bad day and/or was tired, sometimes I was like...Damn I gotta ride the bike home today!

Anyways, just get on the bike and do it.
IMO
A.N.T.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I’ll try to answer your questions one by one.

You said “Anyway, I can afford one bike.” “The RR is so sexy, has better fuel range, requires less maintenance, would be great for the track a couple times a year”

That’s a key point some of you are missing.
Of course you know there are better bikes suited for commuting. One does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. So why are folks even bringing it up when those same bikes would be a waste to take on the track with your type of riding experience? The exception would be the Triumph mentioned and maybe on other.
The 675cc triple would be the lighter more nimble one compared to the 1000cc triple. The 1000cc would actually be a better bike for the street due to its higher broader torq.

I can tell you for a fact the new RR can be used for commuting and shines at it as far as sports bikes go and commuting. You can also do track days and go all out.
I’ve been riding since age 8 off road and from 16-43 street riding. I’ve owned ridden many types of bikes in those years. I just reached 25,000 miles in 12 months on my new 07 CBR600RR without a hitch commuting up and down I95 Wash DC area and have done a few long rides of up to 12 hours in the saddle.

The bike has been flawless in the maintenance department. Oil changes, air filter change and on my third set of tires. That’s it, nothing else.

Any sport touring or sport tire will get chicken strips on a bike being used for commuting.
Every 10,000 miles or so I need to buy new tires but I go as far as I can on a set i.e. no tread left and my last set had the tire cords showing. Not recommended. LOL

Of course you can swap into a sport touring tire to help out with mileage. I do my own tire changes so it’s no big deal.

I’m 5’7” 170 pounds so I’m close to your build. I have a Corvette and Truck that I never use anymore. I chose to use my bike as my primary vehicle. Rain or shine, 15-100 degrees I’m on my bike commuting and going on pleasure rides. My body never aches and I am usually very comfy on the bike. You butt can start to ache on those 7-12 hour rides but that will happen on most bikes.
The RR provides enough wind protection though it could use an after higher windscreen for those 15 degree mornings. You can also add heated grips, I don’t have them.

As far as gear does I have always used either a back pack but now use mostly a Dowco Sport tank bag. It’s expandable but I usually just carry at most my wind/rain jacket, shirt and pants and any electronics I might need.

Honestly saddle bags are great for longer trips. Just get a tail bag instead of a tank bank or saddle bags. You can easily carry all you would need for a commute.

Cortech has some nice sport saddle bags. Some others have sport saddle bags but they look as nice.

For jackets stay away from leather if you want to be comfortable in extreme cold and hot weather or rainy weather.
If you get the right 100% water proof jacket you won’t need a rain jacket so that’s one less thing to carry.

I completely understand what you are talking about in reference to the bikes weight. Light weight is the way to go.

Two things I would do to my 07 RR are install a double bubble screen, the Puig looks nicest of the all but I think the Zero Gravity may offer a tiny bit more wind protection. I would also change over to a dual compound sport touring tire which would also be fine for track days.

In regards to bikes being painful to ride or uncomfortable during 1-12 hr rides. I think that's more of a problem with the riders themselves than the bike USUALLY.
I've lost count of how many times the crying and biitching comes from riders with no previuos injuries that are 18 to 30, that their backs hurt, knees arms, etc. I'd guess it's beause they don't ride much or are not positioning their bodies correctly to cause less stress on everything. You learn how by experiencing, ie riding.
Of course there are other factors involved like body type and bike type. But I'm genrally talking about GXSR 600, CBR600RR, R1's, etc not Ducati's, MV Agusta. Those bike are torture racks, I should not have to explain that. LOL

I’m open to questions if you have any.

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
Moe,

As i said
BUT
you are only doing 10,000 pa total
His commute would be 20,000 pa
40 x 2 - to & from work
x5 - days in week
x 50 - working weeks

& thats before he even wants to take the bike out on a fun ride.
Are you 'honestly' saying that if you were doing from min 20,000m a year you would do it on a RR. I know I wouldn't - & thats why I'd get 2 bikes.

I was a motorcycle dispatch rider in London in 1988 & was doing those mileages & yes, I had 2 bikes a Honda CB350s & a Honda CX500 - known as a Maggot.
Comfort is everything otherwise you just will not get on the bike for fun - & that is what the 600RR is.
It is a bike that says 'get on & do your best or worst - I'll still be there for you'.
I have done 60k on the 600rr in the last 2 years....just about 30k a year. I have had no problems. It's comfortable for me and I have an 80 mile one way trip to work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts