Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i recently picked up a compression tester and was wondering if it would be ok for the job. I posted a pic below. It has sizes 10,12, and 14 mm adapters, but my main concern is that the spark plugs are pretty deep and difficult to get at. Will i need a special adapter? If anyone can explain a little bit of the process i would greatly appreciate it. First time performing this test !

Thanks

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cant see any reason why that wont do the job.. As long as you use the long flexible hose adaptor.

Is there not any instructions with it?

Hit the kill switch before you play..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Usually they come with an adapter for just that purpose. I do have one piece of advice for you though. Put some threadlock or something on the thread between the adapter and compression test fitting. What can sometimes happen is that when you go to unscrew the compression tester from the motor, the adapter will come out but the part that screws into the cylinder head does not come out. And it can sometimes be a pain in the balls to get it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies guys, yeah that exact same thing happened to me with the adapter piece stuck in the fitting ! all in allit went well and i remembered to disconnect the fuel pump. My results for cylinders from left to right were roughly:
160, 165, 165, 165
also to note is that i did not warm up the engine prior to this test, i did not feel like burning my hands on the engine and radiator cover. Are my results distorted in some way because i did not heat the engine up?

·
Registered
477 Posts
thanks for the replies guys, yeah that exact same thing happened to me with the adapter piece stuck in the fitting ! all in allit went well and i remembered to disconnect the fuel pump. My results for cylinders from left to right were roughly:
160, 165, 165, 165
also to note is that i did not warm up the engine prior to this test, i did not feel like burning my hands on the engine and radiator cover. Are my results distorted in some way because i did not heat the engine up?
Some, but it just depends on what you want to check. Personally I would check it warm. Another test would be to squirt a shot of oil into each cylinder and test again to see if your numbers come up, for a wet test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts