Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2010 CBR600RR on Craigslist the other day and I thought it may be worth taking a look at. The owner states he bought the bike brand new and pretty much quit riding it after his first season or shortly after purchase. The bike, according to the posting, has about 600mi on it.

Here is the posting
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4948013208.html

The age of the bike is obviously of zero concern, but its the fact that its been sitting for so long. I had a list of basic questions for him and here are his responses.

How often was the oil changed?
- still has the break in oil

Garage kept?
- stays in shed at all times
(safe to assume this is not heated PA winters have been pretty bad the past 2 years)

Battery on tender?
- Battery is dead

Title in hand?
- With Bank

Inspected?
- no, not inspected each year

Last Time Rode?
- 2 years ago

Last Time Started?
- last summer

Downed/Dropped?
- No

I have yet to go out to look at it yet, and honestly I do not know what to look for in a bike that has been basically sitting since it was bought. One question I failed to ask was how much gas is in it? and did they empty the tank before the winters or at least put some stabilizer in it.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me to look at or questions to ask so I don't take a good that is too good to be true.

And thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Take a battery with you to try and start it...

Or battery cables to jump start it if it has a dead battery

Check it personally... Check the inside of the fuel tank for rust (with a lantern or similar... Please don't do it with a lighter... K-booom! )

I'm sure the pads are gonna be new... The tires are gonna be stock... No mods or anything...

You'll have to flush all the liquids for sure, oil, coolant, brake fluid.

But the bike looks great... the price seems ok.

I would go for her... Practicaly new, never had an oil change...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soponcio thanks for the tips. Specifically the lighter, I'll be sure to use a long match to keep a safe distance lol.

I'm very interested to see if she starts up with out much problem with a good battery.

Thanks again I appreciate it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Few things immediately jump out. It's a 2010 with zero maintenance. Safe to say all of the fluids need to be flushed. Tires are getting to be 5ish years old. The general consensus is to replace when they get that age since rubber degrades with time. Title with the bank? He's got a loan on it. It's a bitch to deal with loan handovers so I'd wait until he pays it off and gets back a clear title. Then you can do your transfer.

Don't know how he's stored it but if going by his attentiveness, it was probably left with a tank filled with gas to some extent. Couple of years is a long ass time for gas to sit and it likes to gunk up. Also, water likes to separate out of modern gas (the ethanol blended sh!t) when sitting for long periods. Water + steel tank = rust. Look at the fuel filter to see if there's any particles in it.

Basically the thing will need some time invested in flushing, cleaning, and getting tires. 6k at this point seems like a ripoff.

Edit: Chain might be all rusty too if the dude never cleaned or lubed it over the years. Likely he hasn't.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's an extra hassle. The bank won't release the title without it fully paid off. So there will have to be extra shuffle between the seller and the buyer to set that up. If a loan is being handed off though, I can't comment since that's something I never looked into.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's simple, you both walk into the bank together and you pay it off. Most banks will even give you a lien release right then and there. They will most likely give you forms to fill out to transfer the title over. I'd inquire at his bank- they don't make it a difficult process for a reason.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seems like a really good price to me. Bike looks to be in really good condition. Not much can go wrong in 588 miles unless owner abused it, but doesnt seem like it was abused. Obviously needs new battery, full fluid flush, and will need new tires since old ones have probably developed flat spots. If it's in your price range, I say go for it.

I'd hit it for that price.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
don't look bad at all, as others said - some regular maintenance to make sure you have fresh fluids and some tires and you good to go ---- but having to see the bike in person and starting her up will be your key - so yeah, hopefully you can bring a battery with you to test it out and if you need new socks for your shoes, and wanting something for the street, check out my sig :shakehand

also, maybe seller will lower price if you mention said "maintenance" requirements :ponder:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd replace the tires after sitting through 4 or 5 winters in a shed.

If it doesn't idle or rev smoothly the FI system may need serviced. I'd call a dealer and ask them what that service would cost.

Also, now your breaking in a bike out of warranty. It wasn't ridden enough to make sure everything was good from the factory. CBRs are pretty bulletproof, but if something goes wrong you'll be paying for it yourself.

I would offer a low ball price. It's going to need something once it's actually being ridden a again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the suggestions on this, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go take a look at it with a good battery to pop in to see if it starts at all and go from there. I gave my mechanic from my hometown a call, he seemed to say exactly what you all said as well, he just didn't like the price. He thought it was too high. Maybe the guy will be flexible, who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd tap it.

Go with him to the bank as someone suggested. Loan issue resolved. Definitely replace the battery and all fluids. Replace the chain. I'd recommend dumping the gas, cleaning the tank, and replacing with fresh gas. Run that for a bit and replace the fuel filter. I wouldn't trust my life to the tires, and I'd probably change oil, run, change oil and filter. Some of that is probably excessive, but it'd give me peace of mind.

When I pick up my brand new 2013, I'll be changing all of the fluids once I get it home.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I can't see it, but I would be comfortable buying it.
Here's what you'll need:

-New tires (~$300)
-new oil & Filter (~$40)
-drain the gas, and run sea foam (optional for the sea foam) (~30)

Gaskets may be brittle.. although I doubt it. And chain may be toast, but it may not be at the same time.

Good luck man and post pics.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions on this, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go take a look at it with a good battery to pop in to see if it starts at all and go from there. I gave my mechanic from my hometown a call, he seemed to say exactly what you all said as well, he just didn't like the price. He thought it was too high. Maybe the guy will be flexible, who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
The owner doesn't like the bike, he won't have any emotions holding him to it. Just show him your offer, let him hold it while you test ride. He'll take it.

·
7,274 Posts
-New tires (~$300)

i have a set of never used, good street tires for sale, $170 plus shipping, not a bad deal if you do get the bike and want some tires and a good price. i have shipped a set last month to one of the members here and they were happy with the purchase, just an option :thumbup:

·
7,274 Posts
The owner doesn't like the bike, he won't have any emotions holding him to it. Just show him your offer, let him hold it while you test ride. He'll take it.
and yeah, people usually always put a higher price, to make sure they have room to go down on price during the negotiations..... it happens all the time, and wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get the price down a bit, especially with all the things you will need to do, and can explain to the current owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya it looks like the owner took it down, either sold it or reposting it. Thanks again guys for all of your input on this I really appreciated it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts