Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here on Oahu we have lots of paved concrete highways. Maybe its just me but the bike always feels twitchy on concrete in turns. Do concrete roads offer less traction than asphalt?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It's probably the "lines" in the concrete that makes the bike feel twitchy. They use a huge machine to grind the concrete smooth but it leaves vertical lines that play hell with a bike. You get used to it after awhile.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not only does it feel twitchy but it also feels like theres less traction on concrete.

·
Registered
315 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Well that's because there is less traction. You're actually riding on a series of parallel ridges. Ever ridin across a corregated steel bridge? :icon_lol:
Yes, I avoid it now. scary for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Makes my tires feel like they're floating across the road when I hit those concrete sections of our freeways. Scared the hell out of me the first time I got back on my bike after going down because of a flat tire. Same EXACT feeling from the tires.

also, before I get flamed... I hit a patch of nails and it punctured BOTH tires as well as 40-50 other cars because a construction truck dropped a box of them out the back.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
damn strat that would suck.... i bet there were a bunch of pissed off motorists that day

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
concrete DOES in fact have less traction (coefficient of friction) than asphalt. I stay away from leaning too far on concrete roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes it does when i was in highschool all the roads on school were concrete and it was allways easier to slide the back end out there than it was on the street....

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
wet blacktop is horrible as well...i have nightmares about that crap!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ME2 said:
concrete DOES in fact have less traction (coefficient of friction) than asphalt. I stay away from leaning too far on concrete roads.
thank you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i feel you on that, black top on a hot sunny day it awesome, but get it wet and it's slicker than owl sh!t

·
Registered
17 Posts
same as wet asphalt

I was told in my MSF class that dry concrete had about the same traction as wet asphalt...not sure how accurate that is but concrete does have less traction than asphalt.

I thought the grooves in concrete were put there on purpose so that when it does rain it gives more traction. I would not want to ride on wet, smooth concrete

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
kakashi74, that is correct.

The grooves in concrete act just as the grooves in your tires in the wet; both help to channel water away from the contact surface. This is why slicks are not prefered in the rain. Also, I do not believe that concrete is as porous as asphalt, so without the grooves you would experience more pooling of water on the surface.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts