Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what are the cons over over-torqueing the rear axle nut?

the manual says the brakes can be affected. is this from the drum pushing up too much against the inner caliper?

can i snap the bolt and break it?

will i bend the right swing arm inward?

yes i know....i need to get a torque wrench. the other day, i was adjusting my chain slack. after i finished, i decided that i over-torqued the axle nut when i thought i heard extra grinding between the brake disc and caliper pad as i rolled the bike forward

·
Registered
250 Posts
You should be worried about over torquing any bolt but if you think you did re tighten it and dont do it as much and keep an eye on it till you get a torque wrench, even a cheap one from harbor freight will be better than standing on wrenches and using cheater pipes.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
what was the torque spec on that rear axel nut anyway...i have a torque wrench but i just hand tighten that nut till the bike lifts a little. bah.

does it really matter?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Torque is important but the rear axle nut is a very high torque. Do it as tight as you can with a socket/ratchet and it'll be fine. I can only just make my torque wrench click out at the 83 ft/lbs (lbs/ft ??) recomended in the manual and I'm not weak.

Lower figures (brake caliper bolts, axle pinch bolts brake discs bolts, etc) really need a torque wrench.

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
Torque is important but the rear axle nut is a very high torque. Do it as tight as you can with a socket/ratchet and it'll be fine. I can only just make my torque wrench click out at the 83 ft/lbs (lbs/ft ??) recomended in the manual and I'm not weak.

Lower figures (brake caliper bolts, axle pinch bolts brake discs bolts, etc) really need a torque wrench.
83 Ft lbs isn't alot....I can do that without really trying....try head bolts @ 170 ft lbs....those are some b*tches to do...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
yeah 80 ft/lbs is NOTHING, a small child can do 80ft/lbs with a bar, remember its all about leverage , my 1/2'' torque wrench is pretty long and i barley have to crank down on it to do 100lb's, and i just set my axle nut to 100 ft/lbs, a good rule of thumb i would say is just tighten the rear wheel till u can barely get the wheel off the ground, and ur good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
over torqueing any bolt can cause it to snap some do at once others need a little extra stress added like say a power slide in a turn so i think you can get the idea of why not to over torque a bolt

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I use a 1/2" breaker bar and socket. It provides plenty of leverage and as long as you don't go nuts tightening the nut, it should be just fine without being torqued.

the other day, i was adjusting my chain slack. after i finished, i decided that i over-torqued the axle nut when i thought i heard extra grinding between the brake disc and caliper pad as i rolled the bike forward
Just make sure that when you are adjusting the chain slack or simply replacing the rear tire, back out the adjusting bolts evenly. There are some marks (lines) on the top of the guides the serve as reference points.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yep.. just tighten till you're lifting the rear a tiny bit. That's usually around when my wrench clicks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts