Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealership today looking at the KLR650. Took one for a ride, it's a VERY disappointing power plant and it has terrible brakes, but they have it marked down (new 2010) to $4,899 so I was thinking about buying it. It'd be fun to hit up some trails and take trips getting 55+mpg.

I know it sounds like I hated it, but that's just the bad. The good: it was very comfortable, and you sit so high visibility is awesome. It's quite versatile...pretty smooth highway ride, great gas mileage coupled with a huge gas tank, and it's cheap. $4,799 brand new. I could have tossed this on my open Kawasaki credit line and ridden it home easily. Don't know if I want that commitment though, I prefer to buy in cash.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love my 2008 KLR. No oil burning problem for me. Lowered the gearing for better offense riding. Gives it a peppier feel too. It's the Jeep Wrangker of bikes - but not over priced. Crap brakes and gutless motor, but it is nonetheless a fun bike.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love my 2008 KLR. No oil burning problem for me. Lowered the gearing for better offense riding. Gives it a peppier feel too. It's the Jeep Wrangker of bikes - but not over priced. Crap brakes and gutless motor, but it is nonetheless a fun bike.
After I sold my 250R I decided not to own another carbureted bike. I like the KLR a lot, especially the massive fuel tank, but I found out the WR250R/X are fuel injected. I'm not a Yamaha guy really, but it's the best FI dual sport I've seen so far. The dealer has it for $5300 new. I'd have to sell the CBR to get one, but I'm considering it. If I sell my truck (it's listed) I can buy a used one and keep the CBR.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess what! My dealer had a 2010 WR250R and dropped the price to $5,290, which I felt was a good deal. Bought it, rode it home, love it. Reminds me of a 250R with acceleration, and the 250R always impressed me for a 250. It's super tall, I'm 6' and only hit the balls of my feet unless I lean.

This bike is downright awesome. I don't even know if I'm going to keep the CBR now...the little dual sport has opened up a world of opportunities offroad and on (longer trips), without giving up anything but acceleration and top speed. Well, some braking power and handling in the twisties too. So far, everything about this bike is a cut above the rest of the dual sports I've been on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After I sold my 250R I decided not to own another carbureted bike. I like the KLR a lot, especially the massive fuel tank, but I found out the WR250R/X are fuel injected. I'm not a Yamaha guy really, but it's the best FI dual sport I've seen so far. The dealer has it for $5300 new. I'd have to sell the CBR to get one, but I'm considering it. If I sell my truck (it's listed) I can buy a used one and keep the CBR.
i learned a lesson once; u NEVER get rid of your truck :banghead:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad had an older KLR650. It felt like a boat after I got a RMZ 450.

Congrats on the WR250. Whats the top speed on that thing?
Other riders my size say about 100 I indicated. I believe it since I'm at LoneStar with my girlfriend, we rode it here, doing 81 on the freeway against the wind

·
Registered
117 Posts
I keep on looking on craigslist for a nice price on a 100 or so dirtbike to get some riding out here in the country where Im at. But a dual sport...hmmmm...must convince wife

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dad had an older KLR650. It felt like a boat after I got a RMZ 450.

Congrats on the WR250. Whats the top speed on that thing?
Other riders my size say about 100 I indicated. I believe it since I'm at LoneStar with my girlfriend, we rode it here, doing 81 on the freeway against the wind

·
Registered
502 Posts
the little dual sport has opened up a world of opportunities offroad and on (longer trips), without giving up anything but acceleration and top speed...
:crackup::crackup::crackup: take away acceleration and speed and how many of us would still ride our cbr's??

in any case, looks like a blast!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:crackup::crackup::crackup: take away acceleration and speed and how many of us would still ride our cbr's??

in any case, looks like a blast!
I guess I figured most of us ride because we enjoy being out on two wheels. I enjoyed riding just as much when I had a 250R. Now I can find out where all those windy dirt roads go and get 71 mpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've been thinking about a KLR to replace my RR, once I find out if it's totaled or not. Can't ride one until my wrist heals up though. I have ridden my friend's WR250 and that thing was a hoot, even with my big ass on it. I just wonder if I could do highway speeds on it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmmm, I had a KLR out for a test ride just last week. I'm looking more into the Adventure Riding myself.

The KLR is kinda bulky for off road use, but I don't think the smaller DP bikes will satisfy longer highway trips. Honda and Suzuki are air cooled, so I'm not interested in those...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've been thinking about a KLR to replace my RR, once I find out if it's totaled or not. Can't ride one until my wrist heals up though. I have ridden my friend's WR250 and that thing was a hoot, even with my big ass on it. I just wonder if I could do highway speeds on it.
Hmmm, I had a KLR out for a test ride just last week. I'm looking more into the Adventure Riding myself.

The KLR is kinda bulky for off road use, but I don't think the smaller DP bikes will satisfy longer highway trips. Honda and Suzuki are air cooled, so I'm not interested in those...
The KLR is fine for offtoading, just not any serious singletrack. In the end I refused to buy a new bike witha a carburetor. It's 2010!
The KLR suits my riding better (mostly paved roads, very little major offroad stuff) and has features like a windshield a 6.1 gallon tank I wanted. The carburetor was enough for me to turn my head and seek out anything with FI

I have 400 miles on the WR250R, and very little of that was offroad (10 miles or so). I spent a couple hours on it yesterday and had none of the back pain I experience on the CBR. Just a sore ass.

The bike is an absolute blast and has great road handling. Offroad it's one of the best duals available. Definitely for the money...

Highway riding all day long is possible. The bike has the power. It propels my 190lb carcass with my 115lb girlfriend on the back at 93mph indicated. 7.7% speedo error is what I hear advrider. This is truly a bike that can do it all. Brakes are weak with over 300lbs on it, but by myself they're great. It needs a Corbin seat and Safariland gas tank to be a long trip bike. I've also looked onto windshields because over 65mph is brutal if there's a headwind.

I'm listing the CBR at $5900 firm, and with all the goodies that's a steal. I want both bikes, but really have no use for the CBR. If I'm doing a run to the store I like to jump on the WR, if I'm taking a longer trip Ill take the WR since it's capable of nearly 80mpg. When do I need the CBR??

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thread revivalllllll!!!!!!111!!one!!11!!!!! LOL

I'm in the market for a dual-sport, my 600rr is now a trackie. How is it going so far? I like the wr250r but I can't imagine long trips on that thing. I'm actually going for a KLR 650.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thread revivalllllll!!!!!!111!!one!!11!!!!! LOL

I'm in the market for a dual-sport, my 600rr is now a trackie. How is it going so far? I like the wr250r but I can't imagine long trips on that thing. I'm actually going for a KLR 650.
I agree, thread revival! I've been considering getting a dual sport too, some friends have KLR's and love them, just wondering how you're like your WR? I've been thinking of going the SuperMoto route too and just having the dual sport tires to throw on when I want to get offroad...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree, thread revival! I've been considering getting a dual sport too, some friends have KLR's and love them, just wondering how you're like your WR? I've been thinking of going the SuperMoto route too and just having the dual sport tires to throw on when I want to get offroad...
I think the possibilities of the wrr for supermoto are awesome! Though I'm only planning on having two bikes max at the moment :drunk:LOL
All I can think about now is taking the KLR to Deal's Gap one day... :cruising:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts