Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was considering purchasing a CRF450R or similar dirt bike and converting it into a Super Motard. How practical would it be to ride the thing to and from work considering my commute is 55 mi round trip with about 90% freeway? What RPM would i be cruising at 60 mph? How difficult would it be to convert a dirtbike to be street legal? Or could the dealership i buy the bike from convert it? What would be a good offroad bike to convert to super moto? CRF450R? CRF650R? KTM? etc....

Sorry for all the questions, im not very familiar with super motos.

·
Registered
200 Posts
you need to check out the website supermotojunkie.com, lots of good information there, but to answer the question, crf450r probably wouldn't be a good bet for highway miles!!!

NICK

·
Registered
496 Posts
CRF650R doesn't exist. From everything I have read and noticed when owning a crf450, no reliability would suck. If you are doing a lot of highway stuff and want reliability, the XR650 R/L are your best bets.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
if u dont live in CA or NY u should be ok.

i would recommend a cr450x model or something similar like the wr450f (rather than yz). this is because the offroad models have a wide ratio gear box and already have an AC generator.

the mx models have a very tight transmission. my last yz450f only went 75 mph or so max. my new wr450 goes over 100 with stock gearing.

check out www.bajadesigns.com for info on dual sport kits.

also check this out, $5999, fuel injection and great gas mileage. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelinnovation/596/0/innovation.aspx

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I own a CRF450R, if i were to ride it on the highway it would be just fine, def not a speeder like the RR, but has enough, it wont go over like 85. It has loads of power, would be a wheelie monster. If you live in CA, good luck on converting it to street legal, the new laws restrict converting (starting in 2005 they must already street legal from the factory) Its too bad, it would be a hoot to ride a 450R on the street with street tires, would blow the pants off a DRZ400SM. The XR650 would be a great ride, but its heavy as heck. If the laws in your area allow, i would do it... The CRF450X already has front and rear lights and an electric starter.

And as far as reliability that was brought up earlier, its a non issue, as long as you take care of what you need to , i have watched my 450 slide down hills, take "CASED" landings, run hard in glamis, run in deep water, Its a honda, it is reliable. As long as you take care of the motor and its important valvetrain. Not to mention the amount of mods that are out there for that motor.

If i could convert it to street legal here in CA, i would do it in a heartbeat, but we cant... boo!
and the CRF650R you speak of is probably the XR650 that is a dual sport, used mainly for Baja running / endurance racing. it wouldn't have a problem on the top end, but Its heavy.

An option would be the Suzuki DRZ400 SM, I rode it and the CRF450 has a better power to weight ratio (but it really cant be compared, the 400SM is street legal with starter, lights everything). I dont know why Suzuki didn't use their current 450 motor that is used in the RMZ450, thats also a thumper from hell.

Stay away from the older YZF426's, 1st gen. thumpers, pain to start and maintain.

And to comment on the WR250X, nice bike, but if your worried about top end and you're in the 200 lbs range, it would be dog on the freeway.

Just like MXrider said, go with the wide gearing models.

·
Registered
250 Posts
DONT try a 450 for street miles it wont take that kind of miles over and over and then when you need to do maintenance and rebuilds they cost alot of $$$ I have a 650L so if your stuck on getting a great bike to Sumo out then get a 450 but dont think your gonna use it for everyday use at 50+ miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts