Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys... im feeling worried everytime i get out on the bike and park it somewhere. Leaving the bike in a parking lot unattended just cant make a guy feel comfortable.

How you guys getting rid of that '**** i gotta go check if my bike is still there' feeling?

Tips on locks would also be helpful (still use the U-lock sadly), lemme know!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just do what you can to minimize the risk of someone taking the bike. Park in a well lit area that is in a high traffic area (lots of people walking around). That's really the best you can do. Disc locks and alarms won't stop someone from pulling up in a van and throwing your bike in the back.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Best thing you can do is just have a good insurance company and try to always leave the bike in a safe place. It's unfortunate that things have gotten this bad these days but I wouldn't have much comfort in a lock.....they just keep an honest person honest. The real thieves can get through them all in a matter of seconds.
I generally only go places that I feel are safe on the bike or whenever possible park the bike in view. I plan to get a Scorpio alarm at some point(but not for theft) I worry more about coming out to the bike and it being on it's side or something. If it's gone, it sucks, but that's what my insurance is for. Sorry, I know you were probably looking for a better answer than this. The Scorpio alarm might be a good option for you though. With it's 2-way paging feather, as long as you aren't far away, at least you'll know when someone sets the alarm off.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
yeah, insurance and gap, i even get a $1500 credit at my dealer if it's stolen or totaled. go ahead and steal it!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
def get gap coverage. The way I look at it, if my bike gets stolen, I'll get an 05, if that one gets ganked, here I come 06. Keep your receipts of all the mods you've paid for and all the aftermarket parts on the bike and you'll get the money for those too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the comments guys...

what does gap stand for btw?
full insurance i cant get here... not until im 25

ok, so full insurance, gap, possibly an alarm, receipt of mods, park in well lit high traffic areas...

get a scary knife and clean it in plain view before leaving it
hmmmm sounds cheaper and more fun

Guys! what about locks? A u-lock alone just isnt right!

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
arab, not sure where you are, but i can't imagine it's any less moto-friendly than los angeles. i always just park it right in front of wherever i'm going. on the sidewalk, preferably. ensures that there are always a lot of people around. slap a lock on it, preferably to something immobile or a buddy's bike to make it that much more difficult to steal.

basically, make it as inconvenient as possible to steal, and you'll cut down on a lot of risk. hell, if some dude left a sweet bike with a full tank of gas and the keys in ignition out in the middle of some cornfield that i happened to be in, i'd probably steal it too if a really hot, naked chick told me to so that we could ride back to my place. everybody has an honesty threshold. :twisted:

·
Registered
429 Posts
well, what i would do at my old apartment in the ghetto, i have an alarm thats loud as f*ck, a disc brake lock, and then even a cable bike lock that i would wrap around the rear wheel and the swingarm, or if i could, i would lock to to the parking cover. nice and safe

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
skip the alarm, i got one, don't use it anymore, and good thieves are either too fast for the alarm to work or know how to get around it. if ya want one, i'll probably end up selling my Scorpio SRi-500p soon. thinking $225 if interested.

gap insurance is just that, gap coverage. it covers the gap between the value of the bike and your remaining payoff amount if you financed it. if you owe $8K and it's valued at $6K, ya gap coverage pays your bank the $2K gap. in my case, my dealer also gives me a $1500 credit to a new bike in their shop.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Get GPS like me, then you can check your bikes still there without taking your butt off the sofa, chair, girlfrend, etc.

You can also see if anyones trying to sit on it, open the boot compartment, or screwing with the ignition. And all from your mobile, but yea, i still pray its there at the end of the day.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Mouse said:
Get GPS like me, then you can check your bikes still there without taking your butt off the sofa, chair, girlfrend, etc.

You can also see if anyones trying to sit on it, open the boot compartment, or screwing with the ignition. And all from your mobile, but yea, i still pray its there at the end of the day.
What? What kind of system is this? Got any links?

C

·
0 Posts
Cant worry about it. Nothing you can do if some douchebag wants to be a prick. Just have insurance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts