Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im in the process of building two bikes. One for street and one for track only. I have been reading some of the treads and looking for information on some of the weight savings / parts I can do with out on my track bike. So far I plan to use vortex clip ons, rear sets, and front stay. I will also be using fiberglass fairings. Most of those parts are givens. I just need help or advice as to what other stock parts can be eliminated.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
remove the kick stand , ignition lock , buy an aftermarket subframe

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
what i did was cut every wire BUT the two blk for the switch and reconnected the connector... worked for me or you could just get rid of the connector and then solder the blks to the other side of the switch....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Papo what I am doing is building one from the ground up with parts. But I think like 95% of track/race bikes are converted stock bikes. If you by a salvage bike it will save you money instead of buying a good condition bike. Price depends on what kind of parts you put into it. So that aspect can be a deep as you pocket book will go.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Yeah, Im just parting out my 03, the body was still in really good shape so I sold my plastics and other stock parts I dont need for the track for extra money...and with the mods I made earlier I really dont have to spend that much out of pocket.. the only mods im making to the bike now are race glass, clip-ons (replacement bars are 13)levers shorty, rearset, bar sliders, steering damper, 520 conversion, new brake pads, and good track tires.. I think thats it..... only book you need is your service manual.

All you need is a lot of time.. and your time is free.. . so you will save there too...

Matthew

papo600RR said:
how much does it cost to build a track bike? Is there a book out there or do you need experience knowing how to do this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I dont think money is not a problem for me...I just want to build a good track bike for the 06 season but I dont think it will be done by then hahaha...I mean I dont think im good with electricial wiring but other than that, I should be fine.

Do you guys buy the bolts from Home depot?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
so what all do you have planned for your track bike.. and also you do have us to guide you along....

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
think theres a bolt kit that has every bolt you will need for like 30 bucks or so .. Idk if it was on one of the vendors or not.... what bolts do you need?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I have planned is basically a stripped stock bike. I plan to go with vortex rear sets, vortex front stay, vortex clip ons, and vortex style gas cap. The body work will be race fiberglass, most likely the r&r subframe, and also plan to run the 520 conversion. Along the way I want to try to eliminate all the misc bolts and fittings that I will no longer need just to lighten it up. I am mainly doing this to also for a possible race bike down the road a ways.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
you do the keyless start yet? yea idk what rearsets I want right now.. but I went with the woodcraft clip-ons and pazzo shorties.. and going with the vortex style gas also.. and getting my forks revalved.. and new spring.. would love to get a new rear shock.... but I just might get a new sring for that also...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want the pazzo shorties also. Yes and steel brake lines and pads. I think I will stayed key for a little until the intrinsic clamps become readily available. I also want to do suspension but it is out of my buget at the moment. But I figure this will be a working track bike so it will come sooner or later.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Yeah, Im going to go with dan kyle for my suspension work.... hopefuly Ill save some money this winter...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ive got a spare set of really bent forks from a wrecked rr. I am debating if it is worh getting them fixed and race preped compared to just buying new good used forks. I will post a couple of picturtes tonight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts