Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
coolant reservoir full.. is that bad

i have a 06 cbr 11900 miles on it... Saturday i rode it for about 1hr30mins straight got to my dest.. and i seen two drips of coolant right by my kickstand.. no overheating tho normal temps the whole way.. then i go back home another 1hr30mins but its a lot cooler now. so Sunday i get up and check my coolant.. Its filed all the way to the top of the reservoir tank so i ride it around the block a few times then come right back and its starts pouring out more coolant a lot this time.. anybody got any ideas of what to check or how to fix it..?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i noticed the my radiator is half way full but my reservoir tank is full to the neck of the tank.. doesn't seem to overheat but just wanna make sure if this is normal or what should i do bike stays at about 180 seen a few drips of coolant one day by the kickstand just thought that came from the reservoir tank overflow line.. anybody know of a problem that this my lead too..

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Radiator def should not be halfway full......does the radiator look wet in any areas? Or is it dripping at all? Have you tried refilling it?

as for the reservoir, shouldn't be that full, but it wont hurt anything. As you saw, it will just drain out thru it's overflow.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Sounds like it may not be cycling through properly... but if you have seen major drips then I would not worry too much about it.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
It's not a bad thing to have the coolant bottle completely full as any excess will just come out, but if its constantly pumping the coolant out, well that is a bad thing. You could be seeing the symptoms of a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It's not a bad thing to have the coolant bottle completely full as any excess will just come out, but if its constantly pumping the coolant out, well that is a bad thing. You could be seeing the symptoms of a blown head gasket.

hmmm what other symptoms does a blown gasket have?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
hmmm what other symptoms does a blown gasket have?
You may start to see a lot of water or oil coming out the exhaust, possibly oil in the coolant, water in the oil etc etc...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The reason you will see the coolant coming out is that as the pressure inside the cylinder increases it leaks back into the cooling system through the head gasket which in turn causes the coolant to come out through the cap and into the overflow bottle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
man i hate to see those words.. but i have no overheating no white smoke just a low radiator i rode today for about a hr plus.. rode it hard too and once i got home it did spit some more coolant out of that overflow tank line

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You need to have a look at the amount of coolant in the radiator and if its not full fill it all the way up. Then get a white sheet and fold it over a couple of times and put the bike on top of it.
Next run the overflow line away from your sheet and start the bike up and let it get to temp, hopefully you will see a spot or two under the bike where the coolant is leaking and not have it all pump through your overflow.

If there are no spots on the sheet and your radiator ends up half empty again after 15mins or so at operating temp then you are evaporating water in your exhaust and / or pumping it all out the overflow.

Essentially it has to be going somewhere so you had better figure out where. If you start to think it is a blown head gasket replace the radiator cap first cause that may failed and be operating at a low pressure allowing coolant out when it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Do compression test. You may have blown headgasket.

Blowing coolant out to reservoir without sucking it back in is sure sign. Don't waste too much time troubleshooting cooling symptoms, those are just side-effects of blown headgasket. Also don't ride bike until you've done compression test, otherwise you'll have engine damage and may end up needing to buy new engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Blowing coolant out to reservoir without sucking it back in is sure sign. Don't waste too much time troubleshooting cooling symptoms, those are just side-effects of blown headgasket. Also don't ride bike until you've done compression test, otherwise you'll have engine damage and may end up needing to buy new engine.
Dang alright, time to do research on compression tests

·
Registered
22 Posts

Hello I’m back with some updates.

I didn’t do a compression test yet cus of limited resources BUT I did two other tests.

first one was where I use a combustion gas detector type fluid, I put it on top of the coolant and if turns yellow its a sign of a blown head gasket, we’ll that didn’t turn yellow.

the other “test” I drained my oil, I’m not sure if it’s blown headgasket oil or just brown oil cus it’s at 2.5k miles. But here are some pictures of the oil
Road surface Asphalt Manhole cover Automotive tire Circle

Liquid Water Cookware and bakeware Recipe Dish
Liquid Water Cookware and bakeware Recipe Dish

1 - 20 of 20 Posts